Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

I doubt it's the police tracking down illegal streamers, besides they don't have to track them all, a few high profile prosecution cases should put the brakes on at least.

Somebody has to enforce the tracking down of offenders though.  Maybe trading standards or something for streamers, but to prosecute people for hate crime, the police would surely have to be involved.

There's some merit to prosecuting high profile cases and I understand the point, but perhaps the media can play a bigger part by making the run of the mill, everyday hate crime cases of a higher profile, rather than just having high profile victims?  The danger is that people (being stupid) will think it's ok if the victim isn't famous.

1 hour ago, sheffield_fox said:

Social media have got to make people verify their accounts. It's as simple as that. 

I’ve seen so much racist crap from verified accounts, this isn’t the answer. 

A blue tick to a SJW means they think they can say what they want, even when what they’re saying is as racist and ignorant as the faceless accounts that post nothing but racist rubbish.  

3 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Somebody has to enforce the tracking down of offenders though.  Maybe trading standards or something for streamers, but to prosecute people for hate crime, the police would surely have to be involved.

There's some merit to prosecuting high profile cases and I understand the point, but perhaps the media can play a bigger part by making the run of the mill, everyday hate crime cases of a higher profile, rather than just having high profile victims?  The danger is that people (being stupid) will think it's ok if the victim isn't famous.

I would think that the likes of Facebook etc have enough resources, money and know how to track them down and hand the evidence over to the police. 

Some people are just looking for notoriety, ASBOS became a badge of honour. They need to be severely punished rather than just made 'celebrities' of them and martyrs to those who agree with them.

But I guess there all sorts of options none of which are perfect but anything's better than the apathetic response so far from the social media owners.

The onus has to be on the companies and yes, they should be responsible for getting law enforcement involved if that line has been crossed. 

If Facebook, etc are seen not to be complying with this then they get fined. Surely no one believes that they don't have the resources to deal with this issue if they are compelled to? They understand social manipulation to a degree we can barely imagine. 

There will always be the issue of forcing these idiots underground but that's a much better place for them imo than the situation we have at the moment.

4 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

The onus has to be on the companies and yes, they should be responsible for getting law enforcement involved if that line has been crossed. 

If Facebook, etc are seen not to be complying with this then they get fined. Surely no one believes that they don't have the resources to deal with this issue if they are compelled to? They understand social manipulation to a degree we can barely imagine. 

There will always be the issue of forcing these idiots underground but that's a much better place for them imo than the situation we have at the moment.

The problem with policing the Internet is that it is worldwide phenomenon and not subject to national laws.

The racist and discriminatory posts are bang out of order and I agree you would make short term progress in removing them with verification of social media profiles. The problem with that is it removes it from the internet but there are clearly deep rooted cultural norms that are still carrying this vile and backward mindset. We call for education but even with the ramp up we’ve seen in 2020 it’s still not enough. I’m sorry but the quick defence of how ‘the U.K. isn’t racist’, ‘All lives matter’ brigade and ‘keep politics out of football’ responses show that there’s a lot more to do.

On the flip side on the verification point, we do have a cancel culture that goes after anyone who may not be racist or discriminatory but propose genuine counter argument to things, try to be funny or make genuine anti government claims (see Myanmar). All the while cancelling and censorship exists then people will want to guard their anonymity.

So yes, you could do something short term with verification but until we get better as a global society you’re going to see more of this and soon enough it won’t be social media that’s the vehicle.

Just someone's view.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/greatest-best-premier-league-players-top-ever-liverpool-man-utd-arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-spurs-city-footballers-soccer-thierry-henry-cristiano-ronaldo

(All on one page)

Best Premier League players EVER: 100 greatest footballers in England's top flight since 1992

Heskey 95th

Schmeichel 92nd

Mahrez 61st

Vardy 48th

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Just someone's view.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/greatest-best-premier-league-players-top-ever-liverpool-man-utd-arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-spurs-city-footballers-soccer-thierry-henry-cristiano-ronaldo

(All on one page)

Best Premier League players EVER: 100 greatest footballers in England's top flight since 1992

Heskey 95th

Schmeichel 92nd

Mahrez 61st

Vardy 48th

Other Leicester related players.

Collymore 86th

Phillips 87th

Dublin 91st

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Collymore 86th

Phillips 87th

Dublin 91st

Ferdinand was in there as well but I don't really think of them as LCFC players when it comes to ranking their career.

Dublin was crap for us.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Ferdinand was in there as well but I don't really think of them as LCFC players when it comes to ranking their career.

Dublin was crap for us.

Must have missed Ferdinand. Yeah I just thought I'd mention other former player I spotted.

Sir Les was 58th btw.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

Just someone's view.

(All on one page)

Heskey 95th

Schmeichel 92nd

Mahrez 61st

Vardy 48th

20 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Collymore 86th

Phillips 87th

Dublin 91st

Missed Kante at 37 as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Players aren't going to suddenly delete their Twitter and IG accounts and lose access to all their mates and contacts though are they? 

So how do you pressure them into a forced change? Like needing ID or a physical address for an account? 

It's got to come from government IMO. And I don't see that happening any time soon. 

Not necessary that they have to delete them. Just make them private, like it used to be. 

footballers used to have Facebook, they just used it like normal people and didn’t let random people on the internet hound them on there. 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

Not necessary that they have to delete them. Just make them private, like it used to be. 

footballers used to have Facebook, they just used it like normal people and didn’t let random people on the internet hound them on there. 

But the why should they have to make them private and why should people who don't abuse them miss out on their posts? Famous people have these accounts to connect to fans, they probably also have private account for family and friends. Why should they lose that connection to honest fans and why should honest fans lose that connection to their favourite players because of a few idiots throwing around abuse.

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

Ferdinand was a great player and it was a pleasure to see him turn out for us. 

It was a shame he got injured in that opener against Southampton, we actually looked really good in that game and then collapsed. It seemed to set a pattern that we couldn't shake all season 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But the why should they have to make them private and why should people who don't abuse them miss out on their posts? Famous people have these accounts to connect to fans, they probably also have private account for family and friends. Why should they lose that connection to honest fans and why should honest fans lose that connection to their favourite players because of a few idiots throwing around abuse.

Yeah I understand but unfortunately abuse is deep rooted in football. Fans have always been used to shouting what they want from the stands and not really realizing how that might make the players feel. People can’t disconnect from that mindset so think an angry tweet is basically the same thing. 

It’s one thing tuning out to what’s being shouted at a game and another reading 1000’s of messages after a bad game. 

I completely get that it’s unfair to make players do this but at the same time it’s unfair that now it’s almost expected for them to be active on social media. I guarantee agents want their players as active as possible to increase commercial opportunities. 

I just think on the whole, if the pfa recommended that all players didn’t use the platform. Then things would be better. 

but you’re right, they shouldn’t have to do this