Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Harvey Barnes

This is his agent wanting a new contract and a pay rise 100%.

Barnes is a level headed lad, he'll be here for another 3 or 4 seasons minimum. He knows he needs regular game time to improve as a player, which he isn't going to get at Liverpool, City, United etc. Plus he's a local lad and we've got our new training facilities opening in a few weeks, he's here for the long term, thankfully.

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

If Barnes dan work on his composure and finishing he will have to chance to be an England regular and a very very good footballer. He has all the raw attributes, if we

let him go I’d question why. I did wonder if he’d be our ‘Gerrard’ that one club man. 

Not sure why people are so convinced he'll become an England regular. England have a lot of very, very good young players in his position right now who wil be better than him for 10-15 years.

Can't see him ever being better than Rashford, Sterling, Greenwood or Sancho to become a regular in the England side really.

He's not up against Jesse Lingard anymore.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not sure why people are so convinced he'll become an England regular. England have a lot of very, very good young players in his position right now who wil be better than him for 10-15 years.

Can't see him ever being better than Rashford, Sterling, Greenwood or Sancho to become a regular in the England side really.

He's not up against Jesse Lingard anymore.

As I mentioned .. He has the raw skill set to achieve a regular position. I never said I was convinced. But he has quick feet, he’s direct, strong and genuinely threatens defenders. But it’s The psychological part of the game that needs work. If his composure and finishing can reach a reliable level ... why can he not compete for a position? Yes he is raw but he has the tools in his box 

• Like 2

I'm not saying he won't become a good player but you're talking about 4 of the best young attacking players about right now. 

I don't think England have ever had such a pool of gifted young attacking players (shame our midfield or defence is pretty poor).

I could see him becoming a good player who gets called on when there's been a couple of injuries like Trevor Sinclair or someone, but the pool in front of him to become a regular is too strong for that. He'd have to show way more at this point to be reaching Sterling, Sancho or Rashford levels. Sancho is still younger than him and Rashford is the same age in fact so he should be way further along in his development if he's going to be better than them and dislodge them to become an England regular. Where currently he's nowhere near them.

Edited by Sampson

10 minutes ago, Messi said:

@benjoneslcfc you seem abit of a weird lad. All I ever see is you on Harvey Barnes threads replying with the laughing emoji. He shagged your Mrs or something? 

Thought this myself, guaranteed he's the kind of annoying bloke in the stands that hurls abuse at Barnes and Chilwell all game lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Thought this myself, guaranteed he's the kind of annoying bloke in the stands that hurls abuse at Barnes and Chilwell all game lol

100% that kind of person. Probably can’t even kick a ball straight himself either. 

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think people are downplaying his potential.

I don't find the source believable but I do find it believable that Liverpool would be interested.

I agree, he wouldn't get in their first 11 atm though, and it could mean shaqiri is leaving 

• Like 1

He’s been hot and cold and disappointing for me really. But he’s a young lad and a good squad player. The trick is replacing gray, Albrighton and potentially Perez, not barnes. He’s a player developed by the club, which we need 4 of for any European squad, so I imagine he would cost anyone an arm and a leg given that situation. It’s also nice to have academy graduates in the team and I’d be happy for him to spend his whole career here even if he’s never regular starter quality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dooflip said:

He’s been hot and cold and disappointing for me really. But he’s a young lad and a good squad player. The trick is replacing gray, Albrighton and potentially Perez, not barnes. He’s a player developed by the club, which we need 4 of for any European squad, so I imagine he would cost anyone an arm and a leg given that situation. It’s also nice to have academy graduates in the team and I’d be happy for him to spend his whole career here even if he’s never regular starter quality.

That is such an important point. At the moment, we can probably include Hamza, Thomas, Barnes and Chillwell (in theory, I believe but that doesn't take into account any move) or Hirst. 

Barnes is not the player we want to sell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

That is such an important point. At the moment, we can probably include Hamza, Thomas, Barnes and Chillwell (in theory, I believe but that doesn't take into account any move) or Hirst. 

Barnes is not the player we want to sell. 

Hirst hasn’t been with us for 3 years before the age of 21 yet has he? In which case isn’t classed as homegrown by the club. He’d be one of the 8 needed to be trained in England though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/04/leicester-harvey-barnes-benefit-loan-system

Buzz around Leicester's Harvey Barnes shows benefit of loan system

The 22-year-old forward quickly developed into a destructive Premier League force and may be in demand this summer

Paul DoyleTue 4 Aug 2020 09.54 BST

Leicester’s Harvey Barnes has made a big impression and despite playing on the left he can use either foot, as shown by his goal against Wigan in the FA Cup. Leicester’s Harvey Barnes has made a big impression and despite playing on the left he can use either foot, as shown by his goal against Wigan in the FA Cup. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP via Getty Images

Now the transfer market is hotting up, we should talk about Harvey Barnes. You can bet some of the best clubs in Europe are doing exactly that, trying to brainstorm ways of persuading Leicester to sell an exceptional forward before his value soars beyond reach, if it has not already. There has been constant yakking about the attractiveness of James Maddison, Ben Chilwell and Wilfried Ndidi to Champions League participants, but Barnes belongs in that conversation too.

When Barnes is on his game, he is one of those thrilling players who show that being creative first means being destructive. He is not in the same class as the 24-year-old Adama Traoré but he is not far off and at 22 is ahead of where the Wolves man was at the same age in terms of impact on the Premier League. Both players can make even the sturdiest defenders looks like old gates flapping in a storm. They are rapid, powerful, skilful and audacious and there is every reason to believe Barnes is as committed to improving and as receptive to good coaching as Traoré is. It takes clever men to cause as much chaos as these two regularly do.

Which brings us to the other reason why clubs will mention Barnes this summer. If his future excites, his past illuminates. He is a choice example of how young players can benefit from loan moves, which are likely to be used more frequently than ever during the new financial reality inflicted by Covid-19.

Barnes’s talent has been carefully honed. He has been at Leicester since the age of nine. After he made his senior debut in a Champions League defeat by Porto four years ago when he was 18, he really started making strides when he went out on loan thereafter, enjoying successful spells at progressively higher levels, from MK Dons through to Barnsley and West Brom. “He is probably the perfect example of the loan and development process,” says Dean Hammond, who was Leicester’s loan manager when Barnes was being nurtured. Hammond helped to plan loan moves and would study Barnes’s progress, giving feedback to the player and parent club.

“Harvey was easy to manage because he wanted to be a player,” says Hammond, who left Leicester in November to take care of his family while his wife recovered from a back operation. “He has real natural ability and he works really hard. He understood the process of development. He scored more goals and got more assists at West Brom but in terms of traits and technique, his performances were very similar at MK Dons and Barnsley. He’s very fast and very direct. He likes to commit players, take them on.

Harvey Barnes celebrates his goal against Chelsea in February. Harvey Barnes celebrates his goal against Chelsea in February. Photograph: James Williamson/AMA/Getty Images

“He likes the responsibility of taking on a shot, trying to slide a striker through or putting a cross in. He’s very forward-thinking. When he receives the ball, his first thought is to dribble forward. So a lot of the clips I’d make of him were very good and exciting to watch.”

But he was not perfect. “With Harvey, like with most young players, it was more about understanding the other side of the game, the defensive positioning. I know from my own time as a player that positional sense – learning to be in different situations – is the hardest thing to develop. At West Brom, sometimes Harvey would play the No 10 role, sometimes he’d be on the left wing and cut inside and sometimes he’d play on the right. So he was learning different positions. So you had to develop his positional sense.

“You also had to teach him how to be effective every time he got the ball and how to be effective in different ways. It’s not contradictory to say it’s great to watch him take on a shot, slide a striker through or beat two or three players but you don’t always have to do that. There are times to just do a simple bounce pass or maybe keep the ball for a minute or two.”

Barnes grew into such a force at West Brom that Leicester recalled him in January 2019. He demonstrated his threat in his first start after his return, appearing to score against Wolves before the goal was credited to Conor Coady.

Brendan Rodgers replaced Claude Puel as Leicester manager a month later and has made Barnes a regular part of Leicester’s attack. His 36 appearances in the 2019-20 Premier League season included 25 as a starter. Usually he raids from the left wing but that he can strike the ball beautifully with either foot means defenders are seldom sure which way to direct him, if they get the choice.

Football Weekly

Arsenal's FA Cup win and the Scottish Premiership's return

Rodgers has spoken of how Barnes learned to press better as the season progressed. It was also clear in the early part of the season the youngster needed to find more composure in the box, although anyone who saw the purity of his goal against Sheffield United last August might not believe that.

Like Traoré before him, Barnes has learned to steady himself before delivering the final blow. Although he is still not as consistent as he is likely to become, Barnes was one of the few Leicester players who got better from January.

He scored six goals in the 11 matches just before lockdown and having been watched several times by Gareth Southgate would probably have earned his first senior England selection if the friendlies against Italy and Denmark had gone ahead in March. England are not exactly short of options out wide – Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford are certain squad inclusions when fit – but Barnes can augment that platoon. “I think he will 100% represent his country,” says Hammond. “He’s different.”

• Like 1