Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

Great start to the season, what's the benchmark to normally avoid relegation?

Probably have to win the league knowing the Belgian structure. Even then I bet that only gets you into a playoff place for the Champions League :ph34r:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bonanza said:

New signing, in the dying seconds of transfer deadline day!

Casper de Norre comes in on loan from KRC Genk, with an obligation to buy him at the end of the season.

De Norre (23, BEL) is a defender, who can play both right-back and left-back. He already knows our manager (Marc Brys) as he played for him at Sint-Truiden.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/casper-de-norre/profil/spieler/292806

775572479-001.jpg?width=1114&height=556

Waghorn? lol

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I swear Leuven have made about 300 signings this window, how do they register them all...

lol

4-5 loans, couple of free transfers and only spent money on a couple of others i think..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Great start to the season, what's the benchmark to normally avoid relegation?

In the past, when the league consisted of 16 teams, the benchmark to be "safe" was 30 point.

So with 18 teams, I would say 34 points should suffice

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I swear Leuven have made about 300 signings this window, how do they register them all...

10 in total. To be fair, given the fact that we are a newly promoted team trying to avoid relegation and the many injuries we have, 10 new players isn't overkill in my opinion. The only negative part of this transfer window is that we couldn't get rid of certain players.

We currently have 38 players under contract, which is  indeed far to many. I've heard the manager has send 5 of them to train with the development squad as he won't be needing them anymore. 2 other players are out for the rest of the season with injuries. This leaves us with 31 squad players and 6 of those players are youth prospect with only 1 of them getting regular playing time (Toon Raemaekers).

Our club was put in this situation by the League. As you remember we still had to play the 2nd leg of the promotional final 1 week before the new season started. Many of our players were out of contract and some of them refused to play if they didn't get a new deal. The club had to resign a lot of last year's players, just to play that final game. We only knew 48 hours before kick-off that the result of the game didn't matter, as both teams would go up to the 1st division.

We currently have 17 squad players who's contracts run out at the end of this season (not including the guys we have in on loan). Of those 17 my guess is only 5 or 6 will get a new deal. Needless to say, next summer will also be very busy ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

10 in total. To be fair, given the fact that we are a newly promoted team trying to avoid relegation and the many injuries we have, 10 new players isn't overkill in my opinion. The only negative part of this transfer window is that we couldn't get rid of certain players.

We currently have 38 players under contract, which is  indeed far to many. I've heard the manager has send 5 of them to train with the development squad as he won't be needing them anymore. 2 other players are out for the rest of the season with injuries. This leaves us with 31 squad players and 6 of those players are youth prospect with only 1 of them getting regular playing time (Toon Raemaekers).

Our club was put in this situation by the League. As you remember we still had to play the 2nd leg of the promotional final 1 week before the new season started. Many of our players were out of contract and some of them refused to play if they didn't get a new deal. The club had to resign a lot of last year's players, just to play that final game. We only knew 48 hours before kick-off that the result of the game didn't matter, as both teams would go up to the 1st division.

We currently have 17 squad players who's contracts run out at the end of this season (not including the guys we have in on loan). Of those 17 my guess is only 5 or 6 will get a new deal. Needless to say, next summer will also be very busy ;)

Sounds like relegation isn't really an option then?

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Get to 30 points and you’d be incredibly unlucky to go down.

In 2016 we relegated with 29 points while the 3 teams just above us all had 30 points. There were only 16 teams in the league that year and only the team in last place dropped down.

Now we have 18 teams, with last place dropping down automaticaly and 17th place having to face off with the team that finishes 2nd in the 2nd division.

30 points might be enough, but strange things tend to happen in the Belgian League :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

In 2016 we relegated with 29 points while the 3 teams just above us all had 30 points. There were only 16 teams in the league that year and only the team in last place dropped down.

Now we have 18 teams, with last place dropping down automaticaly and 17th place having to face off with the team that finishes 2nd in the 2nd division.

30 points might be enough, but strange things tend to happen in the Belgian League :)

I could not imagine why. It's not like the league system is complicated... ?

• Haha 2

On 07/10/2020 at 10:26, Bonanza said:

Quite like that playoff format. The team 2nd in the 2nd Division have the advantage of decent form (which can mean a lot more than quality at times), but the team in 17th should on paper have better players depending on how long in 1st Division. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Quite like that playoff format. The team 2nd in the 2nd Division have the advantage of decent form (which can mean a lot more than quality at times), but the team in 17th should on paper have better players depending on how long in 1st Division. 

...don't encourage them...the system is stupid...!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Cup game today, opponents are in the 4th tier

Sowah starts, Iversen on the bench, no sign of Eppiah but I think he is injured

2 goalies on the bench strangely

according to their Website Eppiah is on international duty at U21 level