Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

16 minutes ago, Mawuli said:

Was just about to say this.

How many teams have a 20 g+a winger on their team maybe 5? And they either paid big big money for them or took a gamble buying them

That's the one undeniable truth of football. You have to pay for goals. .....and we don't have it.

Besides that's a gamble we can't afford to lose. Could you imagine buying a 60mil pound player and have it not work out?

We'd be set back for years. We can't afford Chelsea or Arsenal type mistakes.

14 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

He doesn't feature on the right because he's definitely better on the left.  Crossing is his strong point and his left foot is the better one.

The number of assists surprises me as being low.  VAR took a couple away because of someone being a quarter of an inch offside.  Others (like Westwood's goal against you) don't count as assists because a defender touched the ball.  Corners tend to be flicked on by Mee for Wood to score so the corner taker doesn't get the assist. 

Goals will come when he shoots more in matches like he does (so I'm told) in training.

There we go, yet our fans are happy to ignore any reasons why he hasn't featured on the right wing much. For that reason I'm out.

• Like 1

just woke up ( i’m in the usa ) and saw 5 additional pages on this thread! Got well excited and thought we must have at least a dodgy photo with someone claiming it’s him at the training ground but nothing! 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

As in he is a good dribbler but has a lack of end product? I can see that in him lol

Snideness aside I think he's a player who has bags of potential, but that's the key word - potential. We've already got plenty of players with potential in our side, what we need right now is someone proven to add more goals to the team, especially given we are about to play in Europe. You could argue not signing a player like this cost us Champions League.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come here, but I wouldn't have my hopes up that he would come in and give us the 20 goal contributions a season I'd hoping a player in this position brings us. 

That's part of it. lol  But I also see them as similar types of impact players - full of running, stretching the field both vertically and horizontally, always giving the back four something they have to be wary of.  Neither of them is a major goal scorer, but I don't think that's the role they try to fill.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Honestly don't think this club can afford(financially) to bring in a player who is a guarenteed 20 goal scorer.

Anyone we bring in including Trincao is going to be potential, just like the others. That's what I like about McNeil.

He seems to be a player who is talented enough to help himself and the rest of the team reach their potential. Like finding the right key to unlock the door. We need Trincao and McNeil both for what they bring strength, skill and speed......... Nobody knows if its going to be one or the other.

I don't think its expected to bring in an additional 20+ goal a season player to play out wide to compliment Vardy, but 15+ is a reasonable target. Barnes got 14 goal contributions and Perez around 12 and we are asking for more consistency and improvement on that. Aside from that we need the balance of a left footed right winger. McNeil has the left foot but doesn't play on the right with fairly mediocre stats so you can probably see why a few of us aren't furtling with ourselves at the prospect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Is it a case of buying only the one winger?

No its not, but the priority signing with potentially a huge chunk of our budget has to be a right winger. If we have funds available to get a good back up/competition for Barnes then great but it's way down the list of transfer business we need to do first.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There we go, yet our fans are happy to ignore any reasons why he hasn't featured on the right wing much. For that reason I'm out.

Could be that we are looking at a player that gives us the possibility of playing 3 at the back which would then allow Luke Thomas to go on loan? He’s played LWB before at England U21 level. 

Mahrez got in plenty of crosses left-footed playing on the right.  This whole concept of McNeil being a left-sided winger is overrated - a lot of his crosses come from his ability to dribble past a defender and get to the by-line, and he can certainly do that with either foot.  Pereira has no problem getting right-footed crosses in playing on the left.

Just now, GingerrrFox said:

Could be that we are looking at a player that gives us the possibility of playing 3 at the back which would then allow Luke Thomas to go on loan? He’s played LWB before at England U21 level. 

That is a possibility but who plays LCB to cover that if I assume Chilwell goes. If we get Malang Sarr or a player of that ilk it would be an interesting option but I'd want Filip Kostic instead 😂😂😂

25 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Mahrez got in plenty of crosses left-footed playing on the right.  This whole concept of McNeil being a left-sided winger is overrated - a lot of his crosses come from his ability to dribble past a defender and get to the by-line, and he can certainly do that with either foot.  Pereira has no problem getting right-footed crosses in playing on the left.

Pereira?

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'd agree with you. Of our options, you could classify our options into the following categories. I've tried to put players that I think we could realistically get, so no Mikel Oyazarabal, Marcus Thuram or Memphis Depay, etc.

Proven in other leagues:

- Quincy Promes (Ajax)

- Kevin Volland (Leverkusen)

- Rafa Silva (Benfica)

- Steven Berguis (Feyernord)

- Oussama Idrissi (AZ)

^ These players are mid to late 20's and with a few seasons of good output behind them. They won't get much better, but would be reliable. 

High Potential from Foreign Leagues:
- Calvin Stengs (AZ)

- Trincao (Barcelona)
- Samuel Chukweze (Villareal)

- Everton Soares (Gremio, about to sign for Benfica)

- Leon Bailey (Leverkusen)

^ These players could be the next big thing, or they could be a complete flop. These are exciting players to be linked with for sure.

Proven Premier League Players

- Ryan Fraser

- Xhedran Shaqiri

- Andros Townsend

^ These players have put up numbers in the Premier League, even if they haven't really set the league alight. 

Premier League Players with Potential and games under their belt

- Dwight McNeil

- Emi Guendia

- David Brooks

^ These players look very promising, but they could end up becoming great players, or just the next Demarai Gray.

Championship Players with Potential

- Said Benrahma

If you compare McNeil to names on that list, he's pretty decent, and you know to some extent what you are going to get. But I feel like we went that way with Perez last year and he didn't really justify his transfer fee. The fee wasn't his fault of course, but it's not unfair to say that for the price paid that fans expected more.

Like I say I wouldn't be unhappy to have McNeil here, but he'd be a gamble. Since Mahrez left we've tried Gray, Ghezall, Diabate, Perez and Albrighton in that position to replace him. I'd rather we just "did it right" this time round, even though admittedly there is no way we can buy a sure thing for the position. 

Thanks. You always go above and beyond! I really think there is no one player who fits the bill for what we are trying to accomplish.

And I think we are trying to accomplish more than just speed and skill on the right side.Trincao more than fits the bill for a right sided attacker with great potential.

I know its youtube but I keep watching McNeil's physicaity and skill to move the ball down the field and feel its something we are seriously lacking. To be blunt. Where Chilwell and Maddison pull up McNeil breaks through into space. His aggression is something we lack to get into the final third and I'm not just talking about hoofing it into the box:). Just have a good feeling about McNeil. Just like Perez. Curious to see how it comes together and how it effects our play. We are a work in progress. Enjoy the build.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

He doesn't feature on the right because he's definitely better on the left.  Crossing is his strong point and his left foot is the better one.

The number of assists surprises me as being low.  VAR took a couple away because of someone being a quarter of an inch offside.  Others (like Westwood's goal against you) don't count as assists because a defender touched the ball.  Corners tend to be flicked on by Mee for Wood to score so the corner taker doesn't get the assist. 

Goals will come when he shoots more in matches like he does (so I'm told) in training.

Wait, wait, wait.

He's your main set piece taker?

How many of this kid's assists actually came from open play?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Thanks. You always go above and beyond! I really think there is no one player who fits the bill for what we are trying to accomplish.

And I think we are trying to accomplish more than just speed and skill on the right side.Trincao more than fits the bill for a right sided attacker with great potential.

I know its youtube but I keep watching McNeil's physicaity and skill to move the ball down the field and feel its something we are seriously lacking. To be blunt. Where Chilwell and Maddison pull up McNeil breaks through into space. His aggression is something we lack to get into the final third and I'm not just talking about hoofing it into the box:). Just have a good feeling about McNeil. Just like Perez. Curious to see how it comes together and how it effects our play. We are a work in progress. Enjoy the build.

I'd actually rather get Eze from QPR and play him out of position than McNeil. Would provide back up to Maddison and is way more creative than McNeil. Got a bit of physicality about him too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think its expected to bring in an additional 20+ goal a season player to play out wide to compliment Vardy, but 15+ is a reasonable target. Barnes got 14 goal contributions and Perez around 12 and we are asking for more consistency and improvement on that. Aside from that we need the balance of a left footed right winger. McNeil has the left foot but doesn't play on the right with fairly mediocre stats so you can probably see why a few of us aren't furtling with ourselves at the prospect.

I want what you want but I also want McNeil. Because I Can.

"furtling" is that some new form of masturbation I'm not familiar with. I don't think that's possible.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd actually rather get Eze from QPR and play him out of position than McNeil. Would provide back up to Maddison and is way more creative than McNeil. Got a bit of physicality about him too. 

Agreed. He'd be cheaper, as well.

Just now, SO1 said:

I want what you want but I also want McNeil. Because I Can.

"furtling" is that some new form of masturbation I'm not familiar with. I don't think that's possible.

So essentially you want to spend £40m on a left winger to keep Barnes out the team who has better stats than McNeil and you also want a 15+ goals a season right winger? That's some ask 😂😂

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Considering the wingers the manager picks aren’t really crossers and we don’t really play that way, or have the forwards for it... it doesn’t make a huge amount of sense does it that we’d even want him.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No its not, but the priority signing with potentially a huge chunk of our budget has to be a right winger. If we have funds available to get a good back up/competition for Barnes then great but it's way down the list of transfer business we need to do first.

So while we're going after a right winger we shouldn't buy players available who fit our requirements but are further down the priority list?

59 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

No, but if he was the only winger we signed we haven’t really solved the problem have we?

My point was that perhaps we are looking to buy two wingers, this guy sorts a problem that Rodgers etc think we have but that doesn't mean they aren't also looking to sign a right winger.

• Like 2