Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

3 hours ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

He can cross and will get a few assists but doesnt score enough and isnt that quick. Not to mention, he will cost a bomb!

I’m not saying he’s the perfect (or even the best) answer but aside from the fact that he’s a wide player who can cross, he plays such a much different game than Albrighton does. 

56 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

If you watch clips of McNeil his assists and key passes are actually mostly crosses along the ground, something which a lot of our wingers struggle with, and in fact only Ricardo in our squad is usually accurate at firing those balls in from the byline.

I read an article about breaking the low block a while ago which said that the  generally most effective way of scoring against defensive teams is getting to the byline and cutting balls back. If Maddison and Tielemans can create the build-up to get a player like McNeil there, I would back him to deliver the accurate ball to Vardy to finish.

You are spot on with this. All we ever do is float balls across the box and defenders head them out, drilled crosses would suit us perfectly when playing a 433 or 352.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Because the right wing is our weakest area, we spent going to be spending £30-40m on competition for left wing. McNeil has never played on the right except for the occasional game so as far as recruiting in a left footed right winger goes, this is way down the list of obvious options.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/dwight-mcneil-tactical-change-how-18512042

Sounds like hes played in a number of positions....

Always quite like him as a player, direct, skilful. and left, right, whatever! lol 

Maybe we believe he has the ability to be the player we need.

This is why Rodgers, Congerton, the coaching team are here, to make the players in to what they need to be and make a team from them.

Would actually be quite excited by this signing.

Edited by Dahnsouff

Tony Cottee scored a lot of goals from Steve Guppy crosses despite being dwarfed by the defenders marking him. Surely a good cross is about timing and placement; DM has always struck me as an intelligent player who doesn't just blindly lump the ball into the box. 

26 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

https://www.football365.com/news/dwight-mcneil-burnley-manchester-united-opinion

Another interesting take on him here.

And watching some highlights of him, hes far from an albrighton type player. 

I’ll give you credit for trying !   he’s not messi and because of this, a lot of folk on here are underwhelmed 

I suspect that a lot of top sides are interested in him - however, at 20, his people have probably decided he needs a stepping stone move to prove himself somewhere other than Burnley who are a tad ‘stigmatised’.  If he decides that LCFC is the place for him to make the next stage of his career then we should be delighted that he chooses us rather than a West Ham, Everton, arsenal or spurs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm still more interested in players who have played on the right wing a fair amount and provided goals and assists. McNeil in all his career has featured on the right wing only a few times. It represents more of a gamble to sign a player and play them in a different position but then again that's where scouts, coaches and managers earn their corn. 

McNeil is underrated given his age and what he has done so far but his goals and assists are nothing out of the ordinary and this is our biggest priority signing for a long while. We are so weak on the right wing and need a creative talisman, given that Barnes is our left winger but still finding his way in the game like McNeil is. Id rather have Barnes until the cows come home than McNeil too, he will blow him out the water in the next few years.

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm still more interested in players who have played on the right wing a fair amount and provided goals and assists. McNeil in all his career has featured on the right wing only a few times. It represents more of a gamble to sign a player and play them in a different position but then again that's where scouts, coaches and managers earn their corn. 

McNeil is underrated given his age and what he has done so far but his goals and assists are nothing out of the ordinary and this is our biggest priority signing for a long while. We are so weak on the right wing and need a creative talisman, given that Barnes is our left winger but still finding his way in the game like McNeil is. Id rather have Barnes until the cows come home than McNeil too, he will blow him out the water in the next few years.

Nothing out of the ordinary? Youngest player since Raheem Stirling to get to 10 assists in the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

Nothing out of the ordinary? Youngest player since Raheem Stirling to get to 10 assists in the Premier League.

2 goals in 38 starts last season is nothing out of the ordinary. Even the much marginalised Demarai Gray matched that from about a 3rd of the amount of football McNeil played.

He's a talent and I'm in danger of making out he's the pits but if you cannot understand why some fans deem this RW signing as the most important and therefore the recruitment has to be spot on.

Therefore is it really too much of an ask to look for a left footed right winger that is in the right age bracket that they will increase in value, that they are creative, that they have proven to be able to score and assist at a decent level. Add in some flair and pace and that we don't have our kegs down by spending huge sums on a player from the PL and we should be dancing.

I've done the research, I could sort this for us but you stick with McNeil and then moan in a few months when we still need a right winger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Don't get the issue some have with buying this lad (if we do) and playing him on the right. 

We've used inverted wingers now for the best part of 5 years.

Albrighton is and always will be a right winger, we won the league with him playing on the left.........

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Thanks Sean

Why do some Burnley Fans have such a gigantic chip on their shoulder. 

Great player , don’t think he’s what we need . We need a Goooooooooo on !
Type of wide player . Quick feet , FAST gets goals . 
I want some one to get me off my feet gets the crowd going when he gets the ball . Gets us up the pitch , breaks lines . 
Can link up play , go through the gears .

Maherz did this , bloody hell Lyold dyer did this  loved Tommy Wright when I was a kid . 

If we could take him with a Ismail Sarr type player am all for it . We need two new wide players in my opinion . 

Edited by crisp packet

People are just assuming we will only be signing one winger? That may be true but signing McNeil doesn't mean we won't be singing any others. Particularly if we cash in on Gray.

I struggle to believe he's only 20, seems to have been around for a while and looks older. I think he has a lot of what we have always looked for, good attitude, young and talented, and at least looks like we are still following a recruitment plan. I personally think he will be a good player to have, maybe hasn't played on the right that much but doesn't mean we can't play him there, think he could work well with Ricardo. May even get Madders off set pieces too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2 goals in 38 starts last season is nothing out of the ordinary. Even the much marginalised Demarai Gray matched that from about a 3rd of the amount of football McNeil played.

He's a talent and I'm in danger of making out he's the pits but if you cannot understand why some fans deem this RW signing as the most important and therefore the recruitment has to be spot on.

Therefore is it really too much of an ask to look for a left footed right winger that is in the right age bracket that they will increase in value, that they are creative, that they have proven to be able to score and assist at a decent level. Add in some flair and pace and that we don't have our kegs down by spending huge sums on a player from the PL and we should be dancing.

I've done the research, I could sort this for us but you stick with McNeil and then moan in a few months when we still need a right winger.

ANNOUNCE STENGS!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think McNeil is good but don't you think he's too similar to Barnes. I wouldn't regard DM as a winger either in fact I think he could play left back. 

• Like 1