Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

Just now, hackneyfox said:

So while we're going after a right winger we shouldn't buy players available who fit our requirements but are further down the priority list?

Not if we don't have the funds to bring in them all and we've more pressing signings to make first (RW and CB) and especially not when this signing would be our record signing and take up the majority of our budget. If it was Ryan Fraser or a player on a sensible fee then I'd trust the club know what they are doing but if we sign McNeil for £35-40m then he is our main signing for out wide and yet again it will continue to be a problem (right wing) like it has since Riyad left.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

My point was that perhaps we are looking to buy two wingers, this guy sorts a problem that Rodgers etc think we have but that doesn't mean they aren't also looking to sign a right winger.

Get you, ye I agree with this! If only winger coming in then it’s a no from me! If it’s him plus a right sided il take that! 

Just now, Lesta2014 said:

Get you, ye I agree with this! If only winger coming in then it’s a no from me! If it’s him plus a right sided il take that! 

How do you think we fund both given a) we also need a centre half and possibly another CM and a striker? 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

There we go, yet our fans are happy to ignore any reasons why he hasn't featured on the right wing much. For that reason I'm out.

..If it is just he is better on his left foot, to justify being on the left, then we are missing a trick!!!

His stats are low and I think that is due to not playing as an inverted winger. If he played on the right the obvious plan would be to shoot across the keeper and with his technique, his control of the ball (because he wraps his foot around the ball), would double or more his existing stats in relation to goals.

As a left footer playing at Left Wing means any shots on goal would be predominantly to the near post. Any shots across the keeper would have to be with the outside of his foot in order to bring the ball back in.

His skill set allows him (when playing on the right) to gain the extra yard required in order to get his shot off. If he was switched to the right and Barnes stay left we could save money and have two inverted wingers. Barnes might just feed off him by trying to match up to McNeil, which is something Barnes badly needs.

McNeil crossing is misleading the perception and we need to take that part of his game out of the discussion as he can bring a lot more to the table, should we realise there is a glaring option by making the switch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I think chilwell goes and helps fund our activity this window 

I think so too but I still think even selling Chilwell our net spend will only be £30-40m max as it tends to be most seasons. If we get £70m for Chilwell and another £10m in odds and sods we've £120m 

Therefore I see something like this:

New left back £20m

Right winger £40m

Centre back £30m

Striker £20m

Probably leaves us £10-20m based on the above fees perhaps not being quite as much to get a back up DCM and perhaps another winger/creative midfielder. We may well sell Gray which would boost the funds a bit more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

This is a good signing if is happens in my opinion. I think he is being looked at to complement Chilly, I think the two will work well together.

What makes you think that?  Considering McNeil likes to get on the outside of players and pull crosses back? Chillwell about cries every time Barnes tries to go outside the full back.

Edited by filbertway

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think so too but I still think even selling Chilwell our net spend will only be £30-40m max as it tends to be most seasons. If we get £70m for Chilwell and another £10m in odds and sods we've £120m 

New left back £20m

Right winger £40m

Centre back £30m

Striker £20m

Probably leaves us £10-20m based on the above fees perhaps not being quite as much to get a back up DCM and perhaps another winger/creative midfielder. We may well sell Gray which would boost the funds a bit more.

Looks about right to be fair! 2 more months just under until the window closes. I think I need to go on football manager and spend ridiculous money on players who aren’t that good just to plug the gap :D

• Haha 1

Not if we don't have the funds to bring in them all and we've more pressing signings to make first (RW and CB) and especially not when this signing would be our record signing and take up the majority of our budget. If it was Ryan Fraser or a player on a sensible fee then I'd trust the club know what they are doing but if we sign McNeil for £35-40m then he is our main signing for out wide and yet again it will continue to be a problem (right wing) like it has since Riyad left.

I agree that our priorities should be RW and CB but.....

1.We don't know if we are actually interested in him

2. We don't know how much his price is

3. We don’t know how much our transfer budget is this year

Edited by foxpleasure

48 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I think chilwell goes and helps fund our activity this window 

46 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Selling chilwell to fund mcneil would be a massive mistake

If Carlsberg did mistakes...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If we sell Chilwell it will be for around twice as much as we might theoretically pay for McNeil.

Where did i say all that money would go towards getting Mcneil? If we sold chilwell for 60 and bought 2 mcneil quality players for 30 it would not be worth it.

Edited by honeybradger

New left back £20m

Right winger £40m

Centre back £30m

Striker £20m

One of our signings will be on loan, I'm fairly sure of it. This will give us another 20m + to concentrate on other areas.