Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

His stats of creating chances from open play are ridiculous.

I can see why people are dubious of McNeil, but he's very young, he's in a Burnley team that doesn't venture out of their own half a lot and I think he'll improve a lot in the next year or two. He carries the ball up the pitch which is something not a lot of our team seem to be able to do that often.

I'm all for it, but I'll be slightly worried if he's the only winger we sign, as we need a double figures goalscorer.

Finally! Some reason. The window isn't even close to being shut.

18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

His stats of creating chances from open play are ridiculous.

I can see why people are dubious of McNeil, but he's very young, he's in a Burnley team that doesn't venture out of their own half a lot and I think he'll improve a lot in the next year or two. He carries the ball up the pitch which is something not a lot of our team seem to be able to do that often.

I'm all for it, but I'll be slightly worried if he's the only winger we sign, as we need a double figures goalscorer.

It could also be argued that because he plays for Burnley that very rarely do they face teams that are sitting back (as they are normally the defensive team) so there is more space for him to attack. 

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Thank you nice insight . 👍

7 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

That’s irrelevant !! That’s like us letting Madders go on a free because he gets pissed off for playing left wing sometimes. This place would explode!! Hendrick will sign for another Premier League team and would, in today’s market potentially attract a £20 million plus price tag. Burnley should never have let that happen as the teams he is likely to be linked with would be direct competitors. 

Like I said, £32 million ensures that they can offer wages to their current crop of players and not have their fingers burnt as they have done. This is good money for Burnley. 

One problem is that if you pay a reserve (I know he played most of the matches last season until he downed tools, but only because Gudmondsson was injured) the money he asks - you may have more idea than me how much he was asking - then all the better players want rises as well.  If a squad players gets an extra £1m per year, then all the better players want at least an extra £1m per year and your £32m goes up the Swanee very fast.  Especially as you were hoping to spend some of that £32m on a replacement left winger.

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Assume you don't mean Man Utd? Given that they binned him off as a youth.

Interesting though I imagine his Dad is a big influence given he was a pro too. 

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Wouldn't though would it... not by todays standards.

He'll likely be in the next England squad even if we don't sign him. 

Maybe so, maybe so.  Realistically, how many attacking players have done as much as McNeil at his age?

The thing I don’t think people get is that he’s actually quite a creative player.  Great work rate, and most of his crosses aren’t speculative Peter Crouch moonballs but quick pings on the ground.  If Vardy is in good form I could see that being a very fruitful pairing.

The player he actually reminds me a bit of is Jesus Navas.  @StriderHiryu, do you see that at all?

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

McNeil would be a strange choice for us. Decent and industrious player, but I would have thought he better suits a team playing 4-4-2 and carrying an aerial threat. We are not that team and I don’t see it being a BR signing. 

Not a BR signing? Don't start with that :) We need somebody to scapegoat along with Congerton.

You sound very sure....

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The player he actually reminds me a bit of is Jesus Navas.  @StriderHiryu, do you see that at all?

As in he is a good dribbler but has a lack of end product? I can see that in him lol

Snideness aside I think he's a player who has bags of potential, but that's the key word - potential. We've already got plenty of players with potential in our side, what we need right now is someone proven to add more goals to the team, especially given we are about to play in Europe. You could argue not signing a player like this cost us Champions League.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come here, but I wouldn't have my hopes up that he would come in and give us the 20 goal contributions a season I'd hoping a player in this position brings us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Personally hope this is a smokescreen to show Barca that they haven’t got us by the balls.

I want both. The 2 year loan deferred purchase and McNeil.

14 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

One problem is that if you pay a reserve (I know he played most of the matches last season until he downed tools, but only because Gudmondsson was injured) the money he asks - you may have more idea than me how much he was asking - then all the better players want rises as well.  If a squad players gets an extra £1m per year, then all the better players want at least an extra £1m per year and your £32m goes up the Swanee very fast.  Especially as you were hoping to spend some of that £32m on a replacement left winger.

That is exactly the point. You said Burnley are not cash strapped. Which is understandable given they have been mainstays in the premier league for a few years now. An additional £32m in their coffers to add to what they already have, secures their future for longer as it allows them to keep the core of their team together and add to it. Like I said, £32 million is a good deal for Burnley just like £80 million for Maguire, £60 million for Mahrez and £35 million for Drinkwater were good deals for us. It’s all about the food chain. McNeil makes the move to a team like us, Everton, wolves etc. It’s a step up for him and gets him closer to the dream move. That’s if he shines at the next stage of expectation and on the European stage. there is a food chain in football. It’s like us trying to argue Chilwell or Maguire/Mahrez shouldn’t be tempted to the next level of club. It’s a ridiculous argument as it’s a step up for the player on both aspirations and financially. It’s the just the way it is. 

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

As in he is a good dribbler but has a lack of end product? I can see that in him lol

Snideness aside I think he's a player who has bags of potential, but that's the key word - potential. We've already got plenty of players with potential in our side, what we need right now is someone proven to add more goals to the team, especially given we are about to play in Europe. You could argue not signing a player like this cost us Champions League.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come here, but I wouldn't have my hopes up that he would come in and give us the 20 goal contributions a season I'd hoping a player in this position brings us. 

Honestly don't think this club can afford(financially) to bring in a player who is a guarenteed 20 goal scorer.

Anyone we bring in including Trincao is going to be potential, just like the others. That's what I like about McNeil.

He seems to be a player who is talented enough to help himself and the rest of the team reach their potential. Like finding the right key to unlock the door. We need Trincao and McNeil both for what they bring strength, skill and speed......... Nobody knows if its going to be one or the other.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Honestly don't think this club can afford(financially) to bring in a player who is a guarenteed 20 goal scorer.

Anyone we bring in including Trincao is going to be potential, just like the others. That's what I like about McNeil.

He seems to be a player who is talented enough to help himself and the rest of the team reach their potential. Like finding the right key to unlock the door. We need Trincao and McNeil both for what they bring strength, skill and speed......... Nobody knows if its going to be one or the other.

Was just about to say this.

How many teams have a 20 g+a winger on their team maybe 5? And they either paid big big money for them or took a gamble buying them

52 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Just sign Andros Townsend or somebody really underwhelming as a replacement

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

@dsr-burnley please can you enlighten us on a) why McNeil doesn't feature on the right for you very often and b) why his goals and assists are very mediocre for someone making 38 starts last season.

cheers

He doesn't feature on the right because he's definitely better on the left.  Crossing is his strong point and his left foot is the better one.

The number of assists surprises me as being low.  VAR took a couple away because of someone being a quarter of an inch offside.  Others (like Westwood's goal against you) don't count as assists because a defender touched the ball.  Corners tend to be flicked on by Mee for Wood to score so the corner taker doesn't get the assist. 

Goals will come when he shoots more in matches like he does (so I'm told) in training.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I'd agree with you. Of our options, you could classify our options into the following categories. I've tried to put players that I think we could realistically get, so no Mikel Oyazarabal, Marcus Thuram or Memphis Depay, etc.

Proven in other leagues:

- Quincy Promes (Ajax)

- Kevin Volland (Leverkusen)

- Rafa Silva (Benfica)

- Steven Berguis (Feyernord)

- Oussama Idrissi (AZ)

^ These players are mid to late 20's and with a few seasons of good output behind them. They won't get much better, but would be reliable. 

High Potential from Foreign Leagues:
- Calvin Stengs (AZ)

- Trincao (Barcelona)
- Samuel Chukweze (Villareal)

- Everton Soares (Gremio, about to sign for Benfica)

- Leon Bailey (Leverkusen)

^ These players could be the next big thing, or they could be a complete flop. These are exciting players to be linked with for sure.

Proven Premier League Players

- Ryan Fraser

- Xhedran Shaqiri

- Andros Townsend

^ These players have put up numbers in the Premier League, even if they haven't really set the league alight. 

Premier League Players with Potential and games under their belt

- Dwight McNeil

- Emi Guendia

- David Brooks

^ These players look very promising, but they could end up becoming great players, or just the next Demarai Gray.

Championship Players with Potential

- Said Benrahma

If you compare McNeil to names on that list, he's pretty decent, and you know to some extent what you are going to get. But I feel like we went that way with Perez last year and he didn't really justify his transfer fee. The fee wasn't his fault of course, but it's not unfair to say that for the price paid that fans expected more.

Like I say I wouldn't be unhappy to have McNeil here, but he'd be a gamble. Since Mahrez left we've tried Gray, Ghezall, Diabate, Perez and Albrighton in that position to replace him. I'd rather we just "did it right" this time round, even though admittedly there is no way we can buy a sure thing for the position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

We signed Josh Brownhill in January, who based on the last 8 games of the season already looks better than Hendrick both on the right and in the centre.

Yeah or someone at that level.

Tbh you can't help but appreciate the job he does with what many would deem just solid, top end Championship/Lower end PL players. Also see nothing wrong with yours style of football either. We showed ourselves in 2016 its not all about quality but team ethic and understanding.