Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

50 minutes ago, foxoffderby said:

Listening to Talk Sport this afternoon on the Darren Gough and  Durham show they said this guy as well as us is linked with Wolves and Juve. 

Exactly, Talkshite

Durham predicted yesterday that Wolves would be relegated next season 

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

2 goals in 38 starts last season is nothing out of the ordinary. Even the much marginalised Demarai Gray matched that from about a 3rd of the amount of football McNeil played.

He's a talent and I'm in danger of making out he's the pits but if you cannot understand why some fans deem this RW signing as the most important and therefore the recruitment has to be spot on.

Therefore is it really too much of an ask to look for a left footed right winger that is in the right age bracket that they will increase in value, that they are creative, that they have proven to be able to score and assist at a decent level. Add in some flair and pace and that we don't have our kegs down by spending huge sums on a player from the PL and we should be dancing.

I've done the research, I could sort this for us but you stick with McNeil and then moan in a few months when we still need a right winger.

Ric, I'm interested to know why you are so obsessed with left footed right wingers? If you've mentioned it once you must have mentioned it 30 times across various threads to the point of ad nauseam.

McNeil is left footed anyway, so surely he could adapt to the way we normally play with inverted wingers by playing on the right?

Personally I'm not against playing a right footer (or heaven forbid a two footed player) on the right wing and seeing some good old fashioned wing play where the winger gets to the byline on the outside to cross the ball or cut it back. Vardy or some of our other strikers/attackers might actually benefit from that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Ric, I'm interested to know why you are so obsessed with left footed right wingers? If you've mentioned it once you must have mentioned it 30 times across various threads to the point of ad nauseam.

McNeil is left footed anyway, so surely he could adapt to the way we normally play with inverted wingers by playing on the right?

Personally I'm not against playing a right footer (or heaven forbid a two footed player) on the right wing and seeing some good old fashioned wing play where the winger gets to the byline on the outside to cross the ball or cut it back. Vardy or some of our other strikers/attackers might actually benefit from that?

Genuine question but in youth football these days, do the coaches do this?  Back when I was playing if you were left footed you were either  LB or LM no other options as there was usually only 2 lefties available. 

3 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Maybe we have more money available than we think? 

Based on previous years spending it would be realistic to consider we haven't, especially given the ongoing financial crisis. A net spend of £30-40m is about as good as it'll get.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Based on previous years spending it would be realistic to consider we haven't, especially given the ongoing financial crisis. A net spend of £30-40m is about as good as it'll get.

We have europa league money next season though so might give us a bit extra to spend?

Also we possibly have some Maguire money left over from last season that we haven’t used?

I may easily be wrong but I think we will spend a bit more this season if we find the right people to spend it on

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SO1 said:

I want both. The 2 year loan deferred purchase and McNeil.

Only way I can see this is if we get rid of Gray & Albrighton this summer (Can’t see us getting rid of Albrighton) or you move Perez to a No.10 squad role to provide fierce competition for Madders.

11 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Only way I can see this is if we get rid of Gray & Albrighton this summer (Can’t see us getting rid of Albrighton) or you move Perez to a No.10 squad role to provide fierce competition for Madders.

Not sure I understand because we need a larger squad to handle the amount of matches and the pressure of having those matches in a more condensed period of time(injuries/stress/fatigue). Think there will be plenty of opportunities for Gray and Albrighton because of this. I welcome Maddison, Perez and the rest of our attacking players competing for playing time. Makes everyone better.

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..If it is just he is better on his left foot, to justify being on the left, then we are missing a trick!!!

His stats are low and I think that is due to not playing as an inverted winger. If he played on the right the obvious plan would be to shoot across the keeper and with his technique, his control of the ball (because he wraps his foot around the ball), would double or more his existing stats in relation to goals.

As a left footer playing at Left Wing means any shots on goal would be predominantly to the near post. Any shots across the keeper would have to be with the outside of his foot in order to bring the ball back in.

His skill set allows him (when playing on the right) to gain the extra yard required in order to get his shot off. If he was switched to the right and Barnes stay left we could save money and have two inverted wingers. Barnes might just feed off him by trying to match up to McNeil, which is something Barnes badly needs.

McNeil crossing is misleading the perception and we need to take that part of his game out of the discussion as he can bring a lot more to the table, should we realise there is a glaring option by making the switch.

You taught me something about the game there. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

The key question is... will he press?

Asking for a friend. :ph34r:

No press...we throw 32 mil in the toilet and burn Congerton on the stake for being stupid enough not to know

the answer to your question.:)

Edited by SO1

Piece on him in the athletic today. Basically confirms our interest along with the other 3 teams noted by sky. States that they do not need to sell and if they do sell, it will be for a price similar to the fee wanted for sarr, circa 40m. Cant see us wanting to pay that unless we are offering players in return 

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why am I so obsessed? Because the majority of successful clubs play with inverted wingers and our weakness has been there ever since we lost our elite left footed right winger. It's modern day football mate, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Fair enough but I don't hate the player, nor do I hate the game.

Although having said that, I do very much dislike VAR, diving, Penchester Utd, feigning injury, time wasting, poor referees, Sky's transfer window hyperbole, media big club bias, crap pundits and Tottenham Hotspur. Apart from these things and many more I still love the game. lol

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Genuine question but in youth football these days, do the coaches do this?  Back when I was playing if you were left footed you were either  LB or LM no other options as there was usually only 2 lefties available. 

Not sure that they do at grassroots level but probably more so at elite level.

If this kid has a good right foot too then play him on the left and right. Heck, move perez where he goes if he's better playing with the ball on the floor to create triangles with perez because with ricky p having to play effectively as a right back and winger along with barnes lacking in quality in and around the box on the left, and none of our other wingers being creative except when our midfield is higher up the pitch.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

46 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If this kid has a good right foot too then play him on the left and right. Heck, move perez where he goes if he's better playing with the ball on the floor to create triangles with perez because with ricky p having to play effectively as a right back and winger along with barnes lacking in quality in and around the box on the left, and none of our other wingers being creative except when our midfield is higher up the pitch.

Longest sentence in the history of Foxestalk. I've checked! Congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

That's about as fierce as a hamster, can hear Madders legs quaking from here! 🐹 

Edited by volpeazzurro