Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

Just now, Wortho said:

I think McNeil is good but don't you think he's too similar to Barnes. I wouldn't regard DM as a winger either in fact I think he could play left back. 

He’s played left wing back before for England at youth level when they’ve played a back 3. He could be a very good option playing LWB/LM when we play a back 3 formation, he’s got all the attributes for it.

1 hour ago, Lad1966 said:

Do you think we are looking at Dwight because we are looking at HB and Perez to play more central role?

..I would say that would make a lot of sense!!!

The only problem that I can see is that Rodgers will just view this as squad depth and use him more off the bench as a plan B option.

I do not believe Rodgers has the nous our courage to pull this team apart and play the players in their strongest positions.

44 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

I really hope this is true, phew!

If he really wants a move to a club in the north west (lets be honest thats Liverpool, Man City or Man United) then he is better off coming here for a few years and bumping up those rookie numbers. He isn’t going to get in double figures for goals at Burnley that would justify a big club coming in for him and he knows we will sell to those clubs for the right price.

Edited by Sharpe's Fox

I have absolutely no interest in McNeil  I'm not suggesting he is a bum but he's not good enough to take us up a level.  2 goals in nearly 40 starts. If we want a non-scoring winger/wideman we have a certain fella named Demarai Gray..  McNeil would be decent squad player but we need starters who will get into double figures in goals, not goal shy squad players who cost 30 goddamn million pounds. 

We already overpaid for Ayoze Perez. Please get this right. Its crucial we sign a class wideman/winger.

EDIT: I appreciate he plays under an anti football satanist who limits his development but I still stand by what I said.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I have absolutely no interest in McNeil  I'm not suggesting he is a bum but he's not good enough to take us up a level.  2 goals in nearly 40 starts. If we want a non-scoring winger/wideman we have a certain fella named Demarai Gray..  McNeil would be decent squad player but we need starters who will get into double figures in goals, not goal shy squad players who cost 30 goddamn million pounds. 

We already overpaid for Ayoze Perez. Please get this right. Its crucial we sign a class wideman/winger.

Maybe the coaching/scouting staff think his stats improve playing for us in our system? 

Just now, Lesta2014 said:

Maybe the coaching/scouting staff think his stats improve playing for us in our system? 

Possibly. And I understand Sean Dyche hates anything remotely resembling of passing football which hinders the development of McNeil but im still not convinced he is void enough. 

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Burnley let their former record signing and first team regular leave on a free because they couldn’t afford to offer him a decent wage. Sorry but a move from Burnley to any other Premier League club is a step up. They’ve got a good manager in Dyche who has done a wonderful job but still expect him to pick up bargains in the lower leagues. £32 million, if that is the offer, secures their future. 

26 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

That's the 32 million pound question though isn't it? For that sort of dough you want there to be quite obvious signs of the thought process and likely result. 

The same fans that think this is a great piece of business are the same fans who think Ismaila Sarr has no end product and yet he provided more goals and assists for a team that was relegated in less appearances and has shown he is far more versatile to boot. McNeil " may " be able to play right wing, number 10, left wing and left wing back but so far Dyche has played him 95% at left midfield.

Slimani might have been able to play the support striker role and replace Okazaki but all his career he'd played as an out and out number 9, often on his own and it showed when he came to us that although he could do a job there it's still not the most ideal signing for thst position. Same with Perez for the right wing, are we going to continue to be naive in solving our weakest part of our team?

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Didnt realise it was quite as bad as 2 goals and 6 assists. That's not better than what we have.

Think you need to factor in the way Burnley are set up to play - none of the attacking players in that team are going to have great stats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

Think you need to factor in the way Burnley are set up to play - none of the attacking players in that team are going to have great stats.

Not having that, with those shit houses up front and at the back at a bare minimum he should have 10+ assists from 38 starts in the league. Burnley aren't Norwich, they finished top half yet again and most of their goals are from crosses and set pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lesta Legend said:

Anyone that compares him to Albrighton need to be taking a trip to Specsavers.

Some people come from a generation where a wide player is automatically just a ‘winger’ who has one purpose which is to get balls into the box. 
Football has evolved and from what I’ve seen of McNeil he looks a lot more like a modern wide man than an older generation type winger. Which we obviously need as crossing to just Vardy in the box is pointless