Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Luke Thomas Contract Extended

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’m honestly so excited for him. I liked Chilwell and I love seeing players come from our academy. We should be proud of what we produced. But it always means so much more when they’re actually from Leicester. Heskey, Pipes, Harvey and Hamza - each of them one of our own. And now Luke. As someone who grew up in Syston too it feels extra special to me.

I can’t wait to see him develop and get into the team. 

I sort of agree with this but with the exception of Kingy

40 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I never knew he was born in Syston. I'm assuming he moved away years ago? He's a bit younger than me but I've never heard of any lads from round here mention him or talk about knowing him.

Don't know much about him either to be honest, his club bio said he was from Syston so I assume he's still around the City area like Harvey and Hamza are. There's been rumblings of him being highly rated in the academy set up for a while.

10 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I sort of agree with this but with the exception of Kingy

Oh Kingy is in a category of his own. What he achieved here will never be forgotten.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

When does the loan window shut for Championship teams loaning from us? Might he stay until Fuchs is back then be loaned to a Championship club? I guess a lot depends on how serious we're taking the cups this year. Maybe Fuchs will be CB cover and Thomas will be our 2nd starting LB throughout the season.

The PL to EFL window is open until October 16.

Fuchs is probably out until around that time, if we can get a starting LB in the next two weeks then you keep Thomas until Fuchs is nearing a return then get him a good Championship loan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

The PL to EFL window is open until October 16.

Fuchs is probably out until around that time, if we can get a starting LB in the next two weeks then you keep Thomas until Fuchs is nearing a return then get him a good Championship loan.

He'll have 3 assists and his first goal by then.

What does a contract matter, not worth the paper it's written on other than we would get some sort of fee for him (undoubtably too low) 

If he continues to progress as we hope, he'll probably be sold in about 3 years time to one of our friends in London or Manchester as they love to come & feed off us & we seem more than happy to oblige them.

Very dissillusioned

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

What does a contract matter, not worth the paper it's written on other than we would get some sort of fee for him (undoubtably too low) 

If he continues to progress as we hope, he'll probably be sold in about 3 years time to one of our friends in London or Manchester as they love to come & feed off us & we seem more than happy to oblige them.

Very dissillusioned

The kid was still on his first two-year pro contract probably on less than £1k a week and out of contract next summer. You seriously think giving him a new deal doesn't matter when he could walk away for free to a foreign team next summer?

If he progresses as we hope we'll have another top level Premier League left-back, and potentially both of England's main left-backs will have come through our academy. And if he's contracted until 2025 and our 'friends' of London/Manchester come calling in 2023, we will be able to demand a big fee which we can reinvest in the club.

Maguire's fee has paid for the best training ground in Europe which is now in Seagrave and is all ours. 'Undoubtedly too low' is just bullshit when we got £115m for Maguire and Drinkwater; £60m for a stroppy Mahrez who we had to sell that summer, and we'll get £50m for our 8th most important player at best.

How anyone can be disillusioned that a club that has only been in the PL for six years, entered European football twice and only makes £200m a year in revenue has to sell one key player a season is totally batshit crazy.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Very dissillusioned

I don't even know where to start with this post, it's just so overly negative. You'd think we're still in League One or rotting away in the bottom half of The Championship. Seriously, what do you expect from the Club? We've improved massively over the last few years in terms of reputation, style of football and a place to develop as a young player. The new training ground will only support that as well. From the outside in, we're an attractive proposition.

Thomas has signed a new long term deal so we'll get maximum value if we sell him in the future, or alternatively play him for next three to four years, so it's obviously worth something it's written on or else he'd leave for a compensation fee in 12 months? There's a food chain in the transfer market and only Barca/Real are seen as untouchable. You can't just decide that we won't sell any players to the top clubs. It'd hinder us in terms of future requirement - what's the point in saying to a player like Maddison or Ndidi that there's no further progression from here, you're staying at Leicester for your entire contract? All you'll do is disrupt the harmony within the squad or alternatively put exciting young players off signing for us in the first place. On some occasions you have to concede that we will lose players. Seriously, what do you expect? 

And what's with the narrative we'll let Thomas go cheap? Where's the basis for this? We sold Maguire for £80m upfront - absolutely crazy money. Mahrez went on our terms for £60m, Drinkwater for £35m (!) and Kante for £32m. By your logic, we'd have never got Kante in the first place as we'd never have allowed a release clause. Did that stop our progression? No, it gave us the best season of our lives.

Of all the key players who could potentially leave the club this summer I'd say Chilwell is the easiest to replace. His end product is a guessing game and he's one of the most one footed players we've ever had. There's no doubting he has potential but by all accounts £50m + add ons is a good sum for what is partially raw potential. There's reason to suggest the fee is actually higher than the figure reported in the press because of how we struggled with recruiting post Maguire - I guarantee it'll be officially reported as undisclosed. But in any case, Thomas looked excellent in the few games he played and was much better in the final third than Chilwell has ever been in his entire time here (although it's a small sample).

I really don't get all the negativity. No doubt it was a disappointing end to the season but we've got EL football next season, finished 5th and have an exciting young team (in terms of cost vs outlay I'd suggest we're right up there on paper). We'll keep hold of the core of the side as we have done every summer.

We need a few new faces to come in and strengthen us but who doesn't?

Edited by Frost
  • Like 1

You are obviously happy for us to keep selling our best players, I am not. You are entitled to your opinion & so am I.

When you say that it enables us to bring in other players, that is true. But it is not guaranteed to make you stronger, it depends on so many things with the new players. I remember when Spurs sold Gareth Bale & then signed about 7 players with the money & most of them were complete flops.

I have been watching Leicester for 60 years & all we have ever done is sell our best players. In the past we had little choice as we had no money. Nowadays we are wealthier than we have ever been & constantly the club & management trot out the line "he's not for sale, we don't need the money, we want to keep our best players etc.".  Yet we know they are going to sell & I wish they wouldn't treat us like idiots.

16 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

You are obviously happy for us to keep selling our best players, I am not. You are entitled to your opinion & so am I.

When you say that it enables us to bring in other players, that is true. But it is not guaranteed to make you stronger, it depends on so many things with the new players. I remember when Spurs sold Gareth Bale & then signed about 7 players with the money & most of them were complete flops.

I have been watching Leicester for 60 years & all we have ever done is sell our best players. In the past we had little choice as we had no money. Nowadays we are wealthier than we have ever been & constantly the club & management trot out the line "he's not for sale, we don't need the money, we want to keep our best players etc.".  Yet we know they are going to sell & I wish they wouldn't treat us like idiots.

The management are media-trained. It is all posturing to improve your negotiation position. You are 100% an idiot if you pay any attention to what Rodgers says apart from injury news, it is all soundbite nonsense.

None of us want to see players sold but every club sells, that's football and it's nothing new, you're not going to keep players whose career at the top is 10-15 years at best at a club that don't regularly compete for the top titles. Hazard, Coutinho, Sane are among the players to have left even those English clubs competing at the top.

We may be wealthier than we ever have been but it's all relative - until we compete in Europe consistently and/or have a commercial brand on par with the big boys, we don't have the money to have £100m+ net spends every summer. So selling relatively unimportant but high value players like Maguire and Chilwell is good and in fact vital.

Anyone having a strop because we've sold a left-back that can't cross a ball and is hardly Maldini going backwards really needs to get a grip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I being a complete muppet or does it no say how long this long term contract is?

Love the promise he showed in the last few games, but his inexperience did show in the Spurs game. Not quite there yet, but a lot of promise to build on. Especially his crossing and forward play seems encouraging. His contract was up after this season I think, so wonderful to get him tied down. 

44 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Chilwell is not one of our best players,stop playing.

Superb business, this guy looks the business, can see him surpassing Chilly if he can develop physically. He looks a proper player. Intelligent and can see a pass/cross. Looks to use the ball quickly as well where necessary, much like Youri. Something that doesn't get much attention, but the quicker we move the ball as a team the more chances we'll create when the opposition are scrambling back

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

How anyone can be disillusioned that a club that has only been in the PL for six years, entered European football twice and only makes £200m a year in revenue has to sell one key player a season is totally batshit crazy.

It's absolutely mind boggling what 'fans' find to complain about.

Not sure but I think we also won the damn PL during that time too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

I have been watching Leicester for 60 years & all we have ever done is sell our best players. 

Did you miss the title win in 2016? The League Cup wins, the European adventures? Did you miss all the great players we signed, and that still play for the club? I rather think you've not learnt to make a balanced argument in those 60 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Very dissillusioned

3 years to get next academy product ready then lol

6 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

You'd think after watching Leicester for 60 years and about 45 of them us being the absolute pits, you'd have some respect and appreciation for what this current regime has done in the last 5 seasons but perhaps not. No pleasing some.

• Like 3