Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

6 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

What was he good at? He couldn’t defend, couldn’t pass the ball unless it was more than 5 years backwards. Didn’t contribute anything to the attack.

He’d have been torn to shreds in the more physical championship. 

Your evidence is qualitative, or most likely based on anecdotal evidence. He very regularly passed between the lines. You have a below-average assessment on football, if you believe he’d be poor in the championship. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

You never watched him, he was often the only player in our team trying to progress the ball forwards. It's why I don't respect the opinion of anyone claiming Tielemans is a 'Top class midfielder' and Amartey is some kind of 'Donkey'...When they played together, Tielemans would give the ball to Amartey and pass all responsibility to the Ghanaian.

If I was given the choice between keeping either of the two for next season, it would 100% be Amartey. The one thing you couldn't throw at Amartey is a lack of commitment or ambition,  you have to be a serious hater, be completely unaware of what either means or just trying to look 'cool' by picking on an undeserving scapegoat.

I've seen plenty from Amartey to think he'd be a perfectly capable Premier League player. Probably similarly to how Morgan excelled once he had someone next to him that could organise him to play to his strengths. But when you've got a midfielder in front of you that makes it seem as though you're fielding 10 men every game, and you've got full backs either side that can't defend, then anyone would look poor. His Blackburn performance summed him up for me, I don't like the criticism he got for giving the ball away that night. Nobody in midfield or attack could get their foot on the ball, so I'm not going to criticize a centre half for having the 'ambition' and balls to actually try and help his team mates out.

If the 4th/5th choice CB is the problem....Then the 4th/5th choice CB isn't the problem.

:brendan:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Your evidence is qualitative, or most likely based on anecdotal evidence. He very regularly passed between the lines. You have a below-average assessment on football, if you believe he’d be poor in the championship. 

The anecdotal evidence comes from watching him every single game lol

I genuinely cannot think of a time he “passed between the lines”. He contributed nothing and actively harmed our offensive play due to his inability to find an open midfielder.

Just to clarify, do you think he was good enough for the premier league and an integral part of the squad, or are you only taking opposition to my comment about him not being good enough for the championship? Because I can certainly understand your point of view in that the championship is a fairly large step down (even though I think it would still be too high for him!). Premier league level is laughable though. He was very lucky to have been with us for so long. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

The anecdotal evidence comes from watching him every single game lol

I genuinely cannot think of a time he “passed between the lines”. He contributed nothing and actively harmed our offensive play due to his inability to find an open midfielder.

Just to clarify, do you think he was good enough for the premier league and an integral part of the squad, or are you only taking opposition to my comment about him not being good enough for the championship? Because I can certainly understand your point of view in that the championship is a fairly large step down (even though I think it would still be too high for him!). Premier league level is laughable though. He was very lucky to have been with us for so long. 

Yes like I said at the beginning, I believe he would be okay for the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Oh well, time to put my tin hat on. Here goes...

Progressive passes completed per 90

Amartey    3.69

Evans         2.99

Souttar      2.64

Faes           2.39

Soyuncu    2.03

Progressive passing distance per 90

Evans         445.7

Amartey    368.2

Faes           334.5

Souttar      299.5

Soyuncu    260.5

Progressive carries per 90

Amartey     1.28

Soyuncu     0.85

Souttar       0.55

Evans         0.51

Faes           0.35

Progressive carrying distance per 90

Amartey    127.1

Faes          116.3

Evans        103.1

Soyuncu    101.9

Souttar       86.2

Shot creating actions per 90

Amartey     0.84

Souttar       0.73

Faes            0.71

Evans          0.34

Soyuncu     0.34

Goals against per 90

Evans         2.39

Soyuncu    2.20

Souttar      1.73

Faes           1.65

Amartey    1.51

The issue is here, we are comparing players in the Leicester team. The entire defence was dysfunctional with no protection from the midfield.

if however you compare Amartey to some of the other leagues defenders, playing in teams that actually kept clean sheets, looking at defensive matrixes, he doesn’t stack up well.

The reality is, he’s a utility / 4th choice centre back that Rodgers persisted with over Soyuncu. Even out of form, Soyuncu was better than Amartey. 

That is not Dans fault and he had some half decent games at times. His eagerness to progress up the pitch at times, was what forced him to lose the ball. 

In reality, he should never have played the games he did. For the wage he was on, he needs to be gone.

We aren’t just building a team to get out of the Championship. We also need a team to stay in the Premier League should be return. 

• Thanks 1

Saw him countless times playing a suicide ball to the opposition, leading to a goal being conceded. Don’t really care if the stats said he on average carried it and extra 10 metres  - this is far outweighed by his generally poor play.

I am/ was an amartey fan. Generally a back up player who was thrust into the starting 11 on the backdrop of the team being dogs**t. I don’t know if it was his attitude, or persona but I liked him. But he was not good enough for what we needed, simple. Would have been handy in the championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I absolutely buy into these. I was an Amartey fan. His passing into midfield - usually the less obvious channel -  is almost entirely unappreciated. 

Unfortunately, the stats don't include 'playing well for 90 mins but making one minor (or major) mistake that almost always led directly to a goal' 

Concisely bang on the money 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I absolutely buy into these. I was an Amartey fan. His passing into midfield - usually the less obvious channel -  is almost entirely unappreciated. 

Unfortunately, the stats don't include 'playing well for 90 mins but making one minor (or major) mistake that almost always led directly to a goal' 

Yep where’s the standing off a player letting him have a free shot to score stat

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Would be good to see stats showing mistakes leading to big chances... He'd be top of that I'm sure. 

Premier League website shows stats for errors leading to a goal and apparently he wasn't responsible for any this season. No idea what the criteria is though.

27 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Would be good to see stats showing mistakes leading to big chances... He'd be top of that I'm sure. 

0, in 106 games. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Onions

4 hours ago, Sly said:

The issue is here, we are comparing players in the Leicester team. The entire defence was dysfunctional with no protection from the midfield.

if however you compare Amartey to some of the other leagues defenders, playing in teams that actually kept clean sheets, looking at defensive matrixes, he doesn’t stack up well.

The reality is, he’s a utility / 4th choice centre back that Rodgers persisted with over Soyuncu. Even out of form, Soyuncu was better than Amartey. 

That is not Dans fault and he had some half decent games at times. His eagerness to progress up the pitch at times, was what forced him to lose the ball. 

In reality, he should never have played the games he did. For the wage he was on, he needs to be gone.

We aren’t just building a team to get out of the Championship. We also need a team to stay in the Premier League should be return. 

In no way am I saying Amartey is a great player who should have been a nailed on starter every week. Nor am I saying he had a good season. Nobody did imho. I'm merely pointing out the sheer hypocrisy of some of our fans.  If people are going to make excuses for Evans and Soyuncu, then they have to make those same excuses for Amartey too. People on here claim we would have been safe if only BR had selected Soyuncu instead of Amartey, or if Evans had stayed fit for most of the season. Maybe, maybe not. I don't see any real evidence to back up these claims tbqh. People have a chubby-on for Soyuncu because he butted heads with BR. Fair enough. But he simply hasn't been close to his best for either club or country for 2 years now.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 2

People see what they want to see. The biggest criticism of Dan was that he treated the ball like a hot potato, whereas the stats tell us he was one of the most composed and progressive ball carriers we had. In fact with him in the team we conceded the least amount of goals, so he was far from our worse defender. All this talk of Cags coming in for Dan and we wouldn't have got relegated, actually I think if Cags had come in for Faes, we probably wouldn't have got relegated. Anyway it's all conjecture now. I wish him well, not the best but definitely not our worse player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Exactly.

I always reckoned Soyuncu was class, but every three or four games would produce a howler of a mistake that would be hilarious if another team's player did it, but is somehow less funny when it's our team.

Amartey had lots of good points, but it seemed like he'd have at least one total brainfart most games.

Which ultimately is probably the main reason Evans has been a better defender than either of them.

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ha, is that actually the case? I long suspected it was another myth along the lines of "Wasyl was a walking red card".

Official stats, have him at 0 errors leading to goals