Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

So presumably with Faes banned and Sicknote Evans injured (but somehow fit for all international matches) we are getting a pairing of Souttar and Amartey today against Brentford 😬. I would personally go for Soyuncu & Souttar but that ship has clearly sailed.

Tbh If Amartey was told if he got the ball he could only choose one of two options - A roll the ball simply to the right back or B hoof it into the right hand corner for Tete to run on to - then he wouldn’t be the risk he is now. Banning his forward in field floor passes  ‘between the lines’ or the lazy passes to the keeper would make him a solid defensive back up option in this relegation fight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

So presumably with Faes banned and Sicknote Evans injured (but somehow fit for all international matches) we are getting a pairing of Souttar and Amartey today against Brentford 😬. I would personally go for Soyuncu & Souttar but that ship has clearly sailed.

Tbh If Amartey was told if he got the ball he could only choose one of two options - A roll the ball simply to the right back or B hoof it into the right hand corner for Tete to run on to - then he wouldn’t be the risk he is now. Banning his forward in field floor passes  ‘between the lines’ or the lazy passes to the keeper would make him a solid defensive back up option in this relegation fight. 

...it does make you wonder, why we have not imparted that suggestion to him!!!

Why do we keep making the same errors every week and the answer is always that we will work harder in training to improve. Why not introduce common sense into the equation as opposed to blatant lies being spouted, because you have no answer to the problem or aware that the problem exist in the first place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Pretty certain that with our never ending injury problems Big Dan has played pretty much 90% of our PL games since the start of last season. lol

He can’t have done! He’s 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th (enter your chosen number here) choice isn’t he?!

👍

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He can’t have done! He’s 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th (enter your chosen number here) choice isn’t he?!

👍

Unless you think he's ahead of Evans, Faes and Souttar in the pecking order then he is, yeah. It's not his fault that Evans is crocked, Soyuncu has been excluded and Vestergaard is wank.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Guest said:

Unless you think he's ahead of Evans, Faes and Souttar in the pecking order then he is, yeah. It's not his fault that Evans is crocked, Soyuncu has been excluded and Vestergaard is wank.

He’s third choice isn’t he?

Evans is finished. He should have been shipped at the end of last season and replaced then.

Rodgers has whatever issue he has with Soyuncu and Vestergaard is Vestergaard. A player who we should never have signed.

Third choice, who will play more when we play three CB’s.

There’s the problem.

This 4th, 5th, 6th choice nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense.

As indicated by the number of games he’s started.

Edited by Col city fan

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He’s third choice isn’t he?

Evans is finished. He should have been shipped at the end of last season and replaced then.

Rodgers has whatever issue he has with Soyuncu and Vestergaard is Vestergaard. A player who we should never have signed.

Third choice, who will play more when we play three CB’s.

There’s the problem.

This 4th, 5th, 6th choice nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense.

As indicated by the number of games he’s started.

I would say he's fourth choice behind those centre backs I listed. When people say a player is first choice, third choice, whatever choice, they are talking about a situation in which every player is fit and available. I would not say, for example, that Luke Thomas suddenly became our first choice left back when he was playing regularly earlier this season - he was playing regularly because the left backs ahead of him were injured. If Maddison gets injured for the rest of the season and we end up playing Praet at no.10, that would not make Praet our first choice no.10 over Maddison.

I don't think a single person would disagree with you that Amartey has been playing far more games for us than we would ideally want him to, for reasons you have acknowledged, but you seem to be constantly arguing with this group of people you've made up in your head who think he's faultless and should be starting every week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest said:

I would say he's fourth choice behind those centre backs I listed. When people say a player is first choice, third choice, whatever choice, they are talking about a situation in which every player is fit and available. I would not say, for example, that Luke Thomas suddenly became our first choice left back when he was playing regularly earlier this season - he was playing regularly because the left backs ahead of him were injured. If Maddison gets injured for the rest of the season and we end up playing Praet at no.10, that would not make Praet our first choice no.10 over Maddison.

I don't think a single person would disagree with you that Amartey has been playing far more games for us than we would ideally want him to, for reasons you have acknowledged, but you seem to be constantly arguing with this group of people you've made up in your head who think he's faultless and should be starting every week.

A lot of posters on this thread, particularly last season, have argued that Amartey is ok. So no, I don’t think many have generally thought Amartey is as pants as I’ve done. I think they are now, finally, realising which is why I think many have gone very quiet. Just look back through the thread.

The argument put forward is that we shouldn’t expect much of Big Dan because ‘he’s only such and such choice’.

Again, I’ve disagreed. A ‘squad player’ in any Premiership side should be better than Amartey. And he just ISNT down the pecking order like people have said. If he was, eg if Evans wasn’t a crock or Soyuncu WAS playing, I’d agree. But Evans IS a crock, it was obvious he was going to be a crock, and Soyuncu just isn’t playing! Just look at today’s starting 11.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

A lot of posters on this thread, particularly last season, have argued that Amartey is ok. So no, I don’t think many have generally thought Amartey is as pants as I’ve done. I think they are now, finally, realising which is why I think many have gone very quiet. Just look back through the thread.

The argument put forward is that we shouldn’t expect much of Big Dan because ‘he’s only such and such choice’.

Again, I’ve disagreed. A ‘squad player’ in any Premiership side should be better than Amartey. And he just ISNT down the pecking order like people have said. If he was, eg if Evans wasn’t a crock or Soyuncu WAS playing, I’d agree. But Evans IS a crock, it was obvious he was going to be a crock, and Soyuncu just isn’t playing! Just look at today’s starting 11.

Fully agree.

Although I’m not convinced Faes is that much better either. 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 15:43, Ric Flair said:

Not once played at CB for us under 3 different managers, doubt Rodgers will resort to that and after 2 years out injured but if he does then it shows what a sorry state of affairs our availability must be like. 

And what a sorry state of affairs it has become!! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sly said:

Fully agree.

Although I’m not convinced Faes is that much better either. 

Amartey is much more of a scapegoat than Faes but neither of them are good enough to be starting every game for a premier league team, I like Amartey he gives 100% every game unlike others (Soumare etc) but we signed him for £5m as a squad player and he should not be 2nd/3rd choice CB, his passing which is usually pretty good has been poor the last month but he may still be struggling with the loss of his friend and teammate Christian Atsu.

• Like 1

One thing Amartey brings is pace to the backline, which obviously helps with playing the highline. He caught Wissa with ease today when he was played in behind. If he could just cut out the brain farts we'd have no issue.

• Haha 1