Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Riyad reflects on Leicester

Guest Markyblue
23 minutes ago, Guest said:

He signed a contract at the league champions with Champions League football on the horizon. I can understand why his feelings about playing for us would change when it became apparent that we had failed to build upon that success. I think we are all well aware that when a player signs a new contract it's not necessarily a signal of their intent to stay at the club in the long term.

Of course you're not obliged to love everyone who ever played for us, I don't find myself welling up with admiration when Patrick van Aanholt or Ben Mee come to town. Equally, you're not obliged to snarl and boo at everyone who's dared to turn their back on the glorious Leicester City. I don't think it's a matter of sanitisation to not boo one of the most influential players in our greatest ever achievement and our only ever PFA player of the year winner.

You seem to love the player more than the club, each to their own. 

I Enjoy the football/sport..Not the  words ,they are really meaningless.!!!

The People who boo,Never understood,People who yap out negatives, never understood..but You buy into being a Professional sportsman,

One has to learn to take the rough with the smooth..both sides of it go well OTT, including the plaudits...

One is young & still maturing, but one aint a Kid anymore....One loves/Hates spectators, whether your Vardy/Mahrez/Messi/Ronaldo Mo farrah, Hamilton,J.Root the terraces ,your own Sports  Arena mirrors the Full spectrum of the Human character & emotions...

Take the love, the hate,they both come from the same corners....

Just get on with it...Like those same spread of supporters have to..!!

Words for Sunday

Edited by fuchsntf

Players aren’t Leicester fans, we are a stepping stone to better things and a job.

Football is a weird industry, literally able to hold someone against their will. Yes many get great wages out of it, but it’s still odd.

Football is a short career, and if players get good offers they are going to want to take them. I don’t know why people have an issue with it.

Players like Drinkwater and Mahrez both had moves turned down once. It’s not surprising they felt like they needed to pressure the club the next time they came up.

It’s disappointing as fans, and I’d be annoyed at the time like anyone else to lose a good player. But people need to get over it.

• Like 1

What is it some footballers don't get that when you're offered a huge payrise to sign a 5 year contract you have to think about whether you want to commit to that club for 4/5 years, if you don't renegotiate for a shorter term contract, and if you do sign that 5 year contract and want to leave before, you've got to be a complete plank to blame the club for using that contract to their advantage. Its like me complaining about the fixed rate mortgage contract I signed if I want to get out of it early, and then blaming the bank, but even if he'd grumbled a bit and put a transfer request in I think we'd have still let him off, but he actively slagged our club off, which effectively could cause harm to potential transfers, he disrespected our club and us fans and that's why he gets stick imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

What is it some footballers don't get that when you're offered a huge payrise to sign a 5 year contract you have to think about whether you want to commit to that club for 4/5 years, if you don't renegotiate for a shorter term contract, and if you do sign that 5 year contract and want to leave before, you've got to be a complete plank to blame the club for using that contract to their advantage. Its like me complaining about the fixed rate mortgage contract I signed if I want to get out of it early, and then blaming the bank, but even if he'd grumbled a bit and put a transfer request in I think we'd have still let him off, but he actively slagged our club off, which effectively could cause harm to potential transfers, he disrespected our club and us fans and that's why he gets stick imo. 

Circustances change? Maddison has signed a new deal - 5 year weren't it? - but I highly doubt he'll be here in 5 years. Contracts don't really mean anything, they're just a way to get the player, agent and, eventually, the club more money than currently.

• Like 1

Three points:

1. Being a really talented/great footballer does not give you the right to disrespect this football club. Our fanbase needs to have a bit more pride, because the biggest clubs don't stand for those sort of comments. If we want to be proud club we need to start acting like one and have a bit of self-respect. He is not our hero, booing is optional.

2. He didn't pay his nanny.

3. The greatest player we've ever had is Vardy, Mahrez wishes he was as influential as he was.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 2

He wanted it all, a big contract, then to leave and in all honesty we should've commanded a much better fee the guy has to be worth at least 100 mill.

But it got to the point that he became a liability much to the club's detriment and through this I still believe it cost us a lot of money. He wasn't thinking about the club or the fans who supported him from day one. I cant understand the love for him other than the one season that we got from him. Gone and forgotten as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Circustances change? Maddison has signed a new deal - 5 year weren't it? - but I highly doubt he'll be here in 5 years. Contracts don't really mean anything, they're just a way to get the player, agent and, eventually, the club more money than currently.

Aaaaand that's fine, you have a word and express your views on the issue and respect the clubs choice, but what you don't do is slag off the club that gave you the opportunities. I think we could have got a higher fee for riyad and he's to blame for the reason we didn't. 

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

Aaaaand that's fine, you have a word and express your views on the issue and respect the clubs choice, but what you don't do is slag off the club that gave you the opportunities. I think we could have got a higher fee for riyad and he's to blame for the reason we didn't. 

Oh yeah I'm not debating that part. Just the "why sign a 5 year deal" part.

I do agree we should have got more for him than we did.

Didn't he Sign to 3.5 a years contract in January of 2014, which if he didn't extend in 2016, would've let him leave for free in the summer of 2017? I doubt he was too bothered about money when he could've got crazy money as a signing bonus if he was a free agent. (Edit: he signed a contract in August of 2015 for 4 years, so my point is just wrong here)

There were talks about a "gentlemen's agreement" but that was just talk. He stayed for the 2016-2017 season without causing a fuss. Too bad he went about it the way he did when he wanted to force a move.

Mahrez's threads used to get the worst out of people here IMO (in the football forum). Some people hated him way before any controversy, and others loved him, and still do, no matter what he does. 

One of the biggest "what if's" for me is if he played with players like Maddison  and Pereira/Castagne. We would've been unstoppable.

Edited by the fox

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Didn't he Sign to 3.5 years in January 2014, which if he didn't extend in 2016, would've let him leave for free in the summer of 2017? I doubt he was too bothered about money when he could've got crazy money as a signing bonus if he was a free agent.

There were talks about a "gentlemen's agreement" but that was just talk. He stayed for the 2016-2017 season without causing a fuss. Too bad he went about it the way he did when he wanted to force a move.

Mahrez's threads used to get the worst out of people here IMO (in the football forum). Some people hated him way before any controversy, and others loved him, and still do, no matter what he does. 

One of the biggest "what if's" for me is if he played with players like Maddison  and Pereira/Castagne. We would've been unstoppable.

He signed another deal worth 100k after we won the league...

29 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Just seen the full video interview. Had he done this the year after leaving and this was the tone of every interview he’d done then he’d get nothing but an incredible reception. Repairs some of the damage he did with his disrespect.

What people hold against him is "I've wasted 2 years there" comment (among many things). I think I said here before that we wasted 2 years of Vards prime. The comment isn't wrong because we did waste 2 years, but just because it was right, doesn't mean that he should say it. It's disrespectful to the fans who spent their own money and time in those 2 years. I think most fans agree that 2 years were wasted ( apart from the CL campaign). 

He delivered a good goodbye message (the one that ends with "thank you, thank, thank you") but the 2 years comment ruined it.

15 minutes ago, the fox said:

Oh my bad, he did sign one in 2015. Didn't know why it didn't show in my search. It just showed the 2014 and 2016 ones. So I think he did extended the contract for extra pay.

At the end of the day he signed a 4 year deal worth 100k a week, when we won the league, and then he has the cheek to claim he lost 2 years, despite CL and PL football in that period 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

At the end of the day he signed a 4 year deal worth 100k a week, when we won the league and then he has the cheek to claim in lost 2 years, despite CL and PL football in that period 

Yeah, I agree. Like I said in a previews post, I think that apart from the CL campaign, most fans can agree that we wasted 2 years. I think 2 years of Vardy's prime were wasted, but just because those 2 years were wasted, it doesn't give any player the right to say it. Especially when people invested their time and money on the team in those 2 years

6 hours ago, Sly said:

Riyad and N’Golo are amongst my favourite Leicester players of all time. 

I fully understand why they wanted to go and wished them well. The fact people boo Riyad, I find totally odd as well. The likes of Maguire I understand, as he contributed hardly anything in relation to the squad of 15/16.

I was also very disappointed by Maguire's contribution in 2015-16

• Haha 1

I don't hate any recent player that has left us,not drinkwater,not maguire,not kante. But that is only because they didn't say we wasted two years of their career, go to airports waiting for deals to be done then sulked around unprofessionally when Man city didn't pay what we want,that screams Disrespect to all we did for him and it's going to take one lousy cliche article to get me to not boo him into atoms. 

• Like 2