Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Came here to watch Rodgers build something special. As hard as it is watching the growing pains of that we're still moving in the right direction. Regardless of all the crap Covid has thrown at us. Still enjoying the football.

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Thanks for clarifying, I was of the assumption that had we scored first last night the tie would’ve immediately ended and we be sent through to the next round 

No need to be sarcastic, but you made a point of us being "short-staffed and worn out" .... so is that in both legs then? We were second best to them over two legs.

• Like 2

RE: competition priority we don't know what conversations Rodgers has had with the board about which competitions are top priority with our squad not being strong enough to compete in all 3 with all the injuries building up. I don't believe Rodgers preferred tactical choice was to play Amarty out of position at full back in a game where we needed an attacking outlet from our full backs. Also we don't know what influence the medical team have in Brendan's decision making at the minute as several players such as Ricardo, Barnes could be "in the red" and in desperate need of rest due to injury risk. The selection last night was a calculated risk which didn't come off,  with the fall back being we're still well in the race for top 4 and only 2 wins away from an FA Cup Final

• Like 1

It just seems like last season repeating itself. I think he’s done a brilliant job so far but if we finish outside the top 4 again it will be a disappointing season. I realise how ridiculous that sounds with the progress we’ve made under him. 
The question I would ask is there anyone who would do better in the league than him? - definitely not. 
Would anyone of done better in Europe this season? - Yes they would. I believe we should of got further in the competition. 
I just see us losing a close game against Utd in the cup and finishing 5th or 6th. 
I hope I’m wrong and finish top 4 and get to the final. These games coming up against Burnley, Brighton and Sheffield Utd will be crucial for where we finish. 

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

It just seems like last season repeating itself. I think he’s done a brilliant job so far but if we finish outside the top 4 again it will be a disappointing season. I realise how ridiculous that sounds with the progress we’ve made under him. 
The question I would ask is there anyone who would do better in the league than him? - definitely not. 
Would anyone of done better in Europe this season? - Yes they would. I believe we should of got further in the competition. 
I just see us losing a close game against Utd in the cup and finishing 5th or 6th. 
I hope I’m wrong and finish top 4 and get to the final. These games coming up against Burnley, Brighton and Sheffield Utd will be crucial for where we finish. 

I like Rodgers and he has worked wonders with us. To have us consistently in the top 6 of the top flight is a superb job by him (and great contribution from the players).

My worry with him, however, is not only his European record but also how we fell away last season like Liverpool did when he was there. There are a couple of big games, including last night and Villa in the League Cup, were we didn't turn up. Big occasions. The FA Cup tie against Manchester United is very difficult, I honesty can't see us winning that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ttfn said:

I was going to post this last night.

I struggle to warm to him and a big reason is that he very rarely comes out with anything like this. 

I’m not expecting him to come out and self-flagellate after every loss but when we are bad we are rank and so often that is down obvious tactical issues. He’s not afraid to praise “us” tactically when we win but discussion of selection or tactics is seldom heard after a loss.

But he’s gone up a lot in my estimations after last night, he was extremely respectful and complimentary of Slavia and had acknowledged he personally got it wrong.

He’s got a very hard job at the moment with the unusual season, injuries and fighting on what was 3 fronts and he’s doing a very good job in the circumstances. Things like this show he’s a bit more comfortable in his own skin than he was towards the end of last season where everything was somebody else’s fault.

Agreed, think he came across well last night, differently to how he's been before.

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I like Rodgers and he has worked wonders with us. To have us consistently in the top 6 of the top flight is a superb job by him (and great contribution from the players).

My worry with him, however, is not only his European record but also how we fell away last season like Liverpool did when he was there. There are a couple of big games, including last night and Villa in the League Cup, were we didn't turn up. Big occasions. The FA Cup tie against Manchester United is very difficult, I honesty can't see us winning that.

Unfortunately the must win cup games in particular he’s failed at. I agree we seem to go missing in the big occasions. I know the counter argument is how well this season we’ve done against the so called top 6. It will come down to us picking up wins against the bottom 6 if we are to get into the top 4. I do think it’s very easy saying the players have learnt from last season but it will still be at the back of their minds if we go on a bad run. 

3 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Rodgers has done an incredible job. 

He's rare in being a brilliant coach of players but also an effective man manager. 

When you compare our wage bill and spend, we're overachieving significantly. With the depth of squad we have, the fact is it's much harder for us to compete across every competition, which is compounded by all the injuries and fatigue.

Sadly, with so many players out, there was an inevitability that we would have to prioritise. 

Obviously, it's disappointing we're out of the Europa League this season but so much has been achieved already and we have lots to be excited about still. 

I still find Rodgers hard to work out. We still seem to play either very very well, or garbage.

I pretty much knew last night that once we went a goal down, we were never getting back in the game. This seems a common theme (I don’t know if it IS, it just seems it)

There doesn’t seem to be much plan B. If plan A works it works brilliantly. If it doesn’t, we look lost.

But I guess his hands are tied. As a club, I reckon we’re nearly broke. Any further cash injections I’m guessing would have to come straight from the Thais, and I suppose they’ve suffered financially during Covid.

My opinion is that we are punching above our weight and big time. Chelsea went out and paid a kings ransom for players last year. Apparently the kid from Leverkusen is ‘earning’ north of 300k per week. Man City will buy who they wish and I’m convinced Utd will get Haaland in the summer. 
Financially we can’t compete.

So Rodgers has done a pretty much amazing job.

BUT.. every so often we churn out a performance that has us all scratching our heads. Last night we couldn’t even blame ‘Ndidi not being in the team’. 
It’s perplexing and I still worry about what we did last season. We literally collapsed and crashed and burned out of the CL.

Losing Maddison is a big blow. For all the criticism he gets on here, he’s class and a game changer.

It’s gonna be interesting now. What I know we can’t do is to rely too much on the ‘squad’. Our first team is excellent, our ‘squad’ isn’t. Again, a feature I guess of our financial position.

• Like 3

Infinite improvement compared to the previous regime. Think he and the club still have finishing touches to apply. We’re a perfect match at this time.

Question, do we think we have gathered a status now that if he were to leave we could attract a world class manager? 

23 minutes ago, KFS said:

Infinite improvement compared to the previous regime. Think he and the club still have finishing touches to apply. We’re a perfect match at this time.

Question, do we think we have gathered a status now that if he were to leave we could attract a world class manager? 

Not sure on attracting a world class manager. Do they exist? They all have flaws. Would depend if they were out of work. Can’t see anyone leaving another club to join us if there doing well. 
We are certainly a better prospect for managers now than before Rodgers took over. 

Rodgers has a 53% win percentage. For comparison, Nuno at Wolves has a 49% win rate, and that includes a season in the Championship. 

But as mentioned by me and others, Rodgers ceiling is with us. We won't get a better manager and Rodgers won't get to manage a bigger club than us. We belong together, as Mariah Carey would say.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Imagine saying on the day he arrived that in two years time, this is what we've achieved: 
Best ever manager win percentage in our history (and in the top flight as well), inside top five for 18 months, win UEL group, record top flight away win, some scintillating football, rejuvenated Vardy, improved the young uns coming through etc etc

And there'd be stuff like

"I can't warm to him"

"He bottles the big games"

"He's reached his level with us"

"He can't take us to the next level" (whatever the next level is!)

You sometimes wonder if anything would be good enough for some fans...

I can suggest an answer to that.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Imagine saying on the day he arrived that in two years time, this is what we've achieved: 
Best ever manager win percentage in our history (and in the top flight as well), inside top five for 18 months, win UEL group, record top flight away win, some scintillating football, rejuvenated Vardy, improved the young uns coming through etc etc

"I can't warm to him"

He's also working with by far the best squad this club has ever assembled. So naturally there will be much higher expectations on him than previous managers we've had. Expectations has risen and rightly so. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"I can't warm to him"

he should be winning the league at least once every year in my eyes 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"I can't warm to him"

Some people never warmed to Martin O'Neill. Some never warmed to Pearson. Hell, people still criticise Ranieri.

You can be unsure about the man but respect the manager. Nobody is ever universally liked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"I can't warm to him"

Whether I warm to him or not is absolutely irrelevant to his ability as a football manager.

Plenty of our fans never took to Nigel Pearson. I didn’t understand that but I did respect it.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Ahh.The blind & shit-stirrers are just left-over, Forest/Derby or Celtic fans...who Hide behind ..the right to make an opinion...!!

The sage speaks!:schmike: