Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

10 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

We win - he’s a tactical genius.  

We lose - he’s tactically clueless.

😂

I do agree his record in Europe will prevent a top side coming in for him. 
My worry is games coming up especially at home against poor sides - Sheffield Utd, West Brom etc will put 10 men behind the ball and we still struggle to break them down. It’s what Prague did tonight. 

Maddison is a huge miss. The way he can turn on a penny and pick the perfect pass. Think we should have tried much harder to get a ACM in January 

Rodgers needs to find a way though with what he has got. My shout was to get Under involved, which Rodgers went for and it failed miserably tonight.

Iheanacho is my next thought and I think may be Rodger's too. Get him behind Vardy at the weekend and hopefully that works and gives us our edge back. 

14 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If we'd gone full strength people would have criticised him for that. He's criticised either way. Ultimately that team should have been good enough to win but the players didn't look interested. 

I do  agree with that also .

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah I'm not bashing his overall ability as a manager, he's a terrific manager overall it's just this quirk with European competition that's quite strange, I genuinely think it's even playing on his mind now.

I don't disagree it doesn't look good but I wouldn't expect Celtic to get further than the first knockout stage any year. 

And playing in the Europa for a team like Liverpool is much a 2nd best. Especially when they are going for the Premier League title like they were. 

Admittedly tonight was shit, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Certainly don't think it'd stop him getting a job at a Champions League club.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think if we had Maddison out there fit, and started with our strongest 11, Ricardo, Castagne, Barnes etc, and still performed like this, then you could start to point to a mental issue with bottling big games. 

I think tonight shows that we are seriously lacking squad depth, especially in attacking areas AND Rodgers simply got it wrong with his selection. 

Still too early for me to start comparing them to the biggest bottlers Spurs though! 

If we can maintain top 4, which will be a big challenge, then I think that will have been a very successful season over all, especially with the injuries to key players and the amount of games we have had to play, with a squad lacking depth. 

Lose easily to Man U in the FA Cup AND drop from the top 4 again, and I think you could definitely start pointing to a mental issue/lack of belief 

I don't buy into the bottlers thing at all. The league finish last season, hopefully top four this season, beating the likes of Man City, Liverpool, etc along the way with great performances. Bottlers or mentally weak teams don't do that. I know there have been some poor results and performances against some of the leagues weaker teams but that's the premier league, it's the most competitive league in the world and anyone can really beat anyone on any given day. Even some of Man City's results this season proves that.

All that said I don't think the team selection or the squad depth tonight is a valid excuse for going out. A lot of the players that have played tonight have played well and beaten far better sides than Slavia Prague this season.

• Like 2

We're still building. This is a work on progress and if you'd offered us the positions we've had this and last season in 2017/18, we'd all have snapped your entire arm off. Sad to go out but excited to where we can go with more additions and experience to what is a young team in many places. 

Edited by LCFCCHRIS
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I don't disagree it doesn't look good but I wouldn't expect Celtic to get further than the first knockout stage any year. 

And playing in the Europa for a team like Liverpool is much a 2nd best. Especially when they are going for the Premier League title like they were. 

Admittedly tonight was shit, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Certainly don't think it'd stop him getting a job at a Champions League club.

It's easy to say that but you need to look deeper. Zenit for example we beat 1-0 at home, played them off the park and should have won by more.

We went to the away leg and he made a raft of daft changes, played too open and expansive and we got skelped 3-0. Anderlecht at home was another one, I could go on.

Tonight is a frustration as this is a competition Leicester could and should have went deep into. Going out to a side like Slavia Prague however you want to spin it is poor.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It's easy to say that but you need to look deeper. Zenit for example we beat 1-0 at home, played them off the park and should have won by more.

We went to the away leg and he made a raft of daft changes, played too open and expansive and we got skelped 3-0. Anderlecht at home was another one, I could go on.

Sorry I didn't know you were a Celtic fan when I was disrespectful about the quality of your team...

If I knew that I'd have been much more harsh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He makes mistakes, Nach at Bournemouth last season might have cost us 4th BUT for the 2nd season we are primarily in the top 4, winning lots of games.

We could always get Claude or Craig back, he’s fine.  The best out there, he’s generally getting a lot from that squad, with all the injuries.

Lets get behind them & him, is this the best few years in our history??  Pretty much, cmon boys, champions league to play for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't buy into the bottlers thing at all. The league finish last season, hopefully top four this season, beating the likes of Man City, Liverpool, etc along the way with great performances. Bottlers or mentally weak teams don't do that. I know there have been some poor results and performances against some of the leagues weaker teams but that's the premier league, it's the most competitive league in the world and anyone can really beat anyone on any given day. Even some of Man City's results this season proves that.

All that said I don't think the team selection or the squad depth tonight is a valid excuse for going out. A lot of the players that have played tonight have played well and beaten far better sides than Slavia Prague this season.

Maybe so. To concede 2 goals is inexcusable. I get the lack of attacking threat with Madders missing and Under having a mare but with our back 4 and N'didi, it should have been a dull 0-0 at best for them.

Agree on the bottlers thing. Maybe we have been so used to performing so well, when a bit of reality hits, we over react. Sound like Foxestalk? 

• Like 1

I'm sure he would have liked to have played a stronger team, but he's managing the squad. We've got injuries and suspensions, a big game on Sunday.

We played a strong side in the away leg and it did us no good at all. Sometimes you lose, that's life.

• Like 3

It is remarkable that we have been doing so well on all fronts with the injuries we have been suffering all across the team at key times. And unlike some other managers, who will remain nameless, Rodgers has been operating in good spirits without constant whining despite significant misfortune. 

We are one of the best coached teams in the league, and the positive terms in which he faces injury crises by stating confidence in the squad is the right way to operate IMO. 

Saying all that, given the team selection I’m not sure he’s overly disappointed with us having a few less dates marked in the calendar now. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

34 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Can't blame Rodgers one bit. The players were at fault tonight.

They were at fault but the way he set us up did not help at all. 

Without Madders, Barnes had to start. 

Choudhury and N'didi does not work.

One of Ricardo or Castagne should have started. 

No fault on starting Under. Think most of us wanted him to. Hindsight!  

He also should have made changes at half-time. 

BUT players were equally to blame. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I'm sure he would have liked to have played a stronger team, but he's managing the squad. We've got injuries and suspensions, a big game on Sunday.

We played a strong side in the away leg and it did us no good at all. Sometimes you lose, that's life.

Exactly, something had to give unfortunately... I was hopeful we might manage to play in both Europe and the PL and keep it going but injuries have been tough this season. We should have done better but it didn’t happen for us. Still on for a great season, with the league and another cup quarter final 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We need more number in during the summer window and compounded it by failing to add in the winter window.

We are having to play square pegs in round holes

If we are to continue playing in Europe it is a must to bring more in and keep hold of our best players. We have got to be able to play in both competitions. Tonight proved we aren’t ready for that yet, but not far off 

• Like 1

It’s a bit unfortunate to have none of Maddison, Perez, Praet, and even Iheanacho available but it was a terrible decision to push Tielemans further forward. The fact he plays so many minutes in his position highlights we have nobody else who can do what he does and shifting him from that position and putting him in a position that he isn’t suited to, and looked lost in against Villa, was daft. I don’t see them in training, nor do I watch the U23s often but you might as well take a chance on someone like Tavares in this sort of game when you’ve no other options. But then he’s publicly said there wasn’t an answer in the youth team so he’s not done much to fill him with confidence.

But also the club’s got to back him in a transfer window.