Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

At Celtic his squad wasnt good enough

At Leicester he was complacent considering squad considerations for the top 4 and FA Cup.

His squad was good enough at Liverpool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

At Celtic his squad wasnt good enough

At Leicester he was complacent considering squad considerations for the top 4 and FA Cup.

It was good enough to perform better than it did, particularly in the Europa League, we had poorer managers than Rodgers, with less money to spend who fared far better. It's not exclusive to Celtic either his European record at Liverpool was a shambles also.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Rodgers is manager, end of. 

We had a winger, who has scored double figures for us, on the bench. 

If we'd gone full strength people would have criticised him for that. He's criticised either way. Ultimately that team should have been good enough to win but the players didn't look interested. 

• Like 4

We win - he’s a tactical genius.  

We lose - he’s tactically clueless.

😂

I do agree his record in Europe will prevent a top side coming in for him. 
My worry is games coming up especially at home against poor sides - Sheffield Utd, West Brom etc will put 10 men behind the ball and we still struggle to break them down. It’s what Prague did tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That's a cop out. Look at the resources between the two teams, a top 6 EPL side should be able to put three different sides on the park and dispatch the Czech champions. No excuses.

I’m not buying that Muzzy! The level we’re competing at, twice a week every week, is taking its toll. Not a problem Celtic, with respect, have ever had

• Like 4

Just now, Steve Earle said:

I’m not buying that Muzzy! The level we’re competing at, twice a week every week, is taking its toll. Not a problem Celtic, with respect, have ever had

Yeah we only played near 70 games every season Rodgers was here, on average 16 European games each season. Two of our players playing more minutes than any other player in world football two seasons in a row in Tierney and McGregor.

Start thinking like a top four club if you want to be one, accepting going out to a side like Prague and making excuses is so small time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It was good enough to perform better than it did, particularly in the Europa League, we had poorer managers than Rodgers, with less money to spend who fared far better. It's not exclusive to Celtic either his European record at Liverpool was a shambles also.

Another Rodgers brain fart over the selection of this team, he never fails we are always playing catch-up in games like this.

We had Barnes and Soyuncu misplacing passes that my Gran could have completed. You can't really do much when thats happening.

There is however a real mentality question about this team. Its still there, and it hasn't gone away until we actually achieve something to show for all this period in our history.

• Like 1

Just now, Always Next Year said:

Another Rodgers brain fart over the selection of this team, he never fails we are always playing catch-up in games like this.

He done similar things at Celtic in Europe weirdly. More than once would bring a player in who hadn't been seen in months against one of the elite sides, they'd have a disaster and then wouldn't be seen for months again. I think he overthinks it in Europe.

8 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Call me reactionary, but do you really believe in us after seeing us bottle it everytime it matters? Without doubt this is the best footballing team we've had, but we're found wanting when it comes to the crunch, like Tottenham 3/4 years ago. 

I think if we had Maddison out there fit, and started with our strongest 11, Ricardo, Castagne, Barnes etc, and still performed like this, then you could start to point to a mental issue with bottling big games. 

I think tonight shows that we are seriously lacking squad depth, especially in attacking areas AND Rodgers simply got it wrong with his selection. 

Still too early for me to start comparing them to the biggest bottlers Spurs though! 

If we can maintain top 4, which will be a big challenge, then I think that will have been a very successful season over all, especially with the injuries to key players and the amount of games we have had to play, with a squad lacking depth. 

Lose easily to Man U in the FA Cup AND drop from the top 4 again, and I think you could definitely start pointing to a mental issue/lack of belief 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He done similar things at Celtic in Europe weirdly. More than once would bring a player in who hadn't been seen in months against one of the elite sides, they'd have a disaster and then wouldn't be seen for months again. I think he overthinks it in Europe.

I think he's been guilty of overthinking, or even overdoing it to look good at times. 

Games like tonight don't require tactical genius. That said, he has proven why he is manager and we are plumbs on a forum many times and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

• Like 2

Just now, Gamble92 said:

I think he's been guilty of overthinking, or even overdoing it to look good at times. 

Games like tonight don't require tactical genius. That said, he has proven why he is manager and we are plumbs on a forum many times and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

Yeah I'm not bashing his overall ability as a manager, he's a terrific manager overall it's just this quirk with European competition that's quite strange, I genuinely think it's even playing on his mind now.

I don’t think you can question him domestically in the league and cup this season - superb. 
The question you’ve got to ask is if someone else was in charge in the Europa games with experience would the result be different?  Unfortunately for Brendan it would. We’d be in the next round. 
Not taking anything away from SP they deserved to win but we couldn’t of wished for an easier draw. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Your point? You wanted Barnes to start? And again on Sunday? And Wednesday? Get real please! They’re not machines, no one can play every game

So you’re telling me Youri won’t play Sunday then? Ndidi too? Evans? 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

I think if we had Maddison out there fit, and started with our strongest 11, Ricardo, Castagne, Barnes etc, and still performed like this, then you could start to point to a mental issue with bottling big games. 

I think tonight shows that we are seriously lacking squad depth, especially in attacking areas AND Rodgers simply got it wrong with his selection. 

Still too early for me to start comparing them to the biggest bottlers Spurs though! 

If we can maintain top 4, which will be a big challenge, then I think that will have been a very successful season over all, especially with the injuries to key players and the amount of games we have had to play, with a squad lacking depth. 

Lose easily to Man U in the FA Cup AND drop from the top 4 again, and I think you could definitely start pointing to a mental issue/lack of belief 

Us missing out on the top four last season was a bigger bottle job than anything Tottenham did under Potchetino. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1