Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

15 hours ago, ttfn said:

I was going to post this last night.

I struggle to warm to him and a big reason is that he very rarely comes out with anything like this. 

I’m not expecting him to come out and self-flagellate after every loss but when we are bad we are rank and so often that is down obvious tactical issues. He’s not afraid to praise “us” tactically when we win but discussion of selection or tactics is seldom heard after a loss.

But he’s gone up a lot in my estimations after last night, he was extremely respectful and complimentary of Slavia and had acknowledged he personally got it wrong.

He’s got a very hard job at the moment with the unusual season, injuries and fighting on what was 3 fronts and he’s doing a very good job in the circumstances. Things like this show he’s a bit more comfortable in his own skin than he was towards the end of last season where everything was somebody else’s fault.

I agree with the Base of your post, but your last sentence rather confusing...

One Thing that holds Rodgers above others IMO, in his whole 2 years tenure, I have never Read or heard anything from Rodgers where he has gone OTT &  blamed anybody for anything or never took the the victims role individual or even in the clubs or squad s name.:dunno:

hes gave out some criticism, on Match officials but nothing that shows OTT tendencies...

Even Now he didnt hide behind injuries he himself kept low Key during last seasons Fall off....Maddison,Vardy,Ndidi, Chilwell,Fuchs,Evans,Ricardo..

Now look again at this season, this forum recognised our squad has been depleted, its only in the last few weeks he s touched on it, probably got fed up off managers with bigger squads & Financial clout whining about their woes in finding a fit team...!

Its damn difficult trying to Build up a team character & some sort of rythm,when you Dont know if your Main players will last 3 games,Nor break down again whilst trying to nurse them back...

Some fans have quickly forgotten that Maddison,Vardy,Ndidi,Soyu,Castagna have had stumbling comebacks and setbacks,

Plus wobbles with Evans,Amartey , Praet, (Now longer) & Mendy.  It aint been normal, it aint been easy,

but I haven t heard Rodgers going on any Blame path,

this or last season..

Edited by fuchsntf

14 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Absolutely take your points here. But as a counter, it's easy with hindsight to choose the 'line' that we've stumbled at. Example? Well, it is easy to imagine that had we got to the next round then faltered, the same accusation would/could have been made, and the round after that, and the round after that.... it's too easy. I think perhaps it is wiser to look at all the lines that HAVEN'T  been failed, the heady league position indicates a lot of bottle and a consistent non-stumbling at lines. Despite losing 6 league games this season, it hasn't caused a malaise, the team have come back and delivered.

This isn't really directed at you, but at a general mindset that is probably not yours, Ben. But there will probably be someone at the end of the season say 'if we'd won at home to WHU and Villa we'd have won the league'. There's no countering such nonsense, because it cannot be proven either way, but it allows the casual malcontent to confidently 'what if/yeah but' until the cows come home. I look at all the lines successfully traversed - Arsenal away, Man City away, Liverpool, even the draw vs Man U had merit compared to what had gone before.

I'm most worried about Sunday, because if we don't turn up and win, a lot of tacit Faustian pacts will be thrown at BR, and the forum will be full of angry crap, whilst conveniently ignoring the mammoth effort already put in to get us this far despite colossal injury problems.

In the Running for POY....Post of the Year, including the unsaid, when reading between the lines....:appl:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

Legit question I've always wondered - why isn't there a consistent set of rules around the taking of free kicks?  Why are free kicks in the offensive half all stopped, set up, 10 yards, spray down, wait for the whistle etc.  But free kicks in your own half you can take quickly and defending players can hover over the ball?  Like even when the taking team is yelling at the ref about a player literally standing on the ball, the ref doesn't really seem to give a shit.

From what I can tell if the player actually gets in the way on purpose he'll probably get booked if the ball touches him. If they just play it to the side of him then he's usually ok.  The 10 yards are only really important when it comes to the wall as obviously tiny distances matter then. 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

From what I can tell if the player actually gets in the way on purpose he'll probably get booked if the ball touches him. If they just play it to the side of him then he's usually ok.  The 10 yards are only really important when it comes to the wall as obviously tiny distances matter then. 

...I am sure you need to be at least 10 yards away from  the ball!!!

There is an option to play the ball directly against a player who is not the required distance away from the ball but that could be interpreted as a quick free kick and therefore open for the referee to wave play on. Perhaps safer to play to the whistle, as any encroachment can be pointed out before the kick is taken.

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I was very annoyed the other night but I can't really pin this one on him. The players look absolutely exhausted and we're down to the bare bones. The schedule and injuries are finally taking their toll. 

Worst excuse in football, play crap blame fatigue 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I was very annoyed the other night but I can't really pin this one on him. The players look absolutely exhausted and we're down to the bare bones. The schedule and injuries are finally taking their toll. 

Have to agree with you to some degree. Rodgers is due respect for how well he has us playing, but his blind attitude towards set pieces is costing us both attacking and defending. The team is dead on their feet, yes, but certain problems have persisted over a year now and it's really disappointing to see that we don't want to address it. 

• Like 1

I saw a lot of people having a go at him at half time, people trying to pretend the injuries and minutes played aren’t an explanation.

Arsenal’s starting 11 had played a full game less in terms of total minutes played than ours in the last two weeks (4 games and they also didn’t play the midweek before). In fact, only Xhaka and Leno had featured in every game compared to 7 of ours. Plus they’ve pretty much a fully fit squad which has more options than ours anyway. Little surprise they were so much more on it than we were from the off.

It’s gonna take everything Brendan and the whole team has to get through the next couple of weeks

He's tried to juggle three competitions. We've got a heavy injury list. Today's first half was awful but I don't think anybody could do better with the situation we've got.

It's what we all knew- if our best 14/15 are available we've got a great chance. Lose 6 of those and we're struggling.

• Like 1

Exactly the same as last season. No signings in January will cost us. 2 great opportunities to make top 4 and a few signings in a jam in both seasons would have sealed it. 

Rodgers has serious questions to answer. It doesn’t matter how well you start a season it’s all about how you finish. And this is twice now we’re gonna bottle it. The players look absolutely shot and the way we’re performing I can’t see where the next win is going to come from. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rodgers rightly got enormous credit for our start to the season when we coped superbly with an injury crisis every bit as bad as the one we face now.

But there is a crucial difference between then and now, which it would be unfair to blame Rodgers for. 
Then, all available players were fit and fresh. Now, those that are available for selection are either not match fit (Ricardo, Castagne) or running on empty.

It’s a season unlike any other and I hope never to see it’s like again. If we finish top 5/6 from here we should be delighted.

Edited by Steve Earle

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just out of interest, which players would you have brought in in January (they would have to be available, the right price, willing to play second fiddle to the regular first teamers etc) and which players would you have taken out of the PL and UEL squads to accommodate them?

I'm intrigued about this one, too...

25 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just out of interest, which players would you have brought in in January (they would have to be available, the right price, willing to play second fiddle to the regular first teamers etc) and which players would you have taken out of the PL and UEL squads to accommodate them?

This king of speed should have made a return... still could :ph34r:

image.png.f2741a4029c7e544820536891d65a5b0.png

2 minutes ago, dayday said:

So you’re telling me we was fatigued from the start, not having it 

You tend to feel worse from the start after a hectic period than you would early second half for example. All to do with getting the legs going and lactic acid (I’m not a physio sorry for poor explanation)

Just now, dayday said:

So you’re telling me we was fatigued from the start, not having it 

Of course they are not going to be as tired at the start of a match but as a game goes on of course they get more tired! Fatigue is different from just being tired too. They have been playing 2 games a week, travelling abroad and hardly having any recovery time, zero training and hardly a day off.  There is minimal rotation (an example Youri - Madders and Dennis both out so he is having to play every game) How on earth is it not a factor?!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, frany104 said:

Exactly the same as last season. No signings in January will cost us. 2 great opportunities to make top 4 and a few signings in a jam in both seasons would have sealed it. 

Rodgers has serious questions to answer. It doesn’t matter how well you start a season it’s all about how you finish. And this is twice now we’re gonna bottle it. The players look absolutely shot and the way we’re performing I can’t see where the next win is going to come from. 

What is it about how we make signings do people not get? 

January is a difficult window to operate in, it’s not often clubs of our stature are able to make Stella signings in this window. And then this January we had a pandemic which made things just as hard. Our issues haven’t been in the window, they’ve been injuries and injuries. 

We are a self sufficient club, we can’t go and throw millions around whenever we please.