Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

For anyone who doesn't think he takes responsibility, either... 

I was going to post this last night.

I struggle to warm to him and a big reason is that he very rarely comes out with anything like this. 

I’m not expecting him to come out and self-flagellate after every loss but when we are bad we are rank and so often that is down obvious tactical issues. He’s not afraid to praise “us” tactically when we win but discussion of selection or tactics is seldom heard after a loss.

But he’s gone up a lot in my estimations after last night, he was extremely respectful and complimentary of Slavia and had acknowledged he personally got it wrong.

He’s got a very hard job at the moment with the unusual season, injuries and fighting on what was 3 fronts and he’s doing a very good job in the circumstances. Things like this show he’s a bit more comfortable in his own skin than he was towards the end of last season where everything was somebody else’s fault.

8 hours ago, matty98 said:

Gutted with the result but atleast Rodgers showed some class at the end, rather than the bollocks certain managers come out with after an unexpected loss.

Have a word with yourself and how your players conduct with themselves on the pitch. You act the nice guy but clearly condone that stupid gamesmanship behaviour, especially in the first leg!

That crap ref the first leg needs sacking too, Nacho banned for this tie because he hasn’t got a clue. The player cheated him out of the tie.

8 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Take Villa in the League Cup semi-final last season. Best chance for us to get to Wembley in 20 years against a team who we absolutely annihilated in the league and who were really struggling at time. 

Last season we finished outside of the top four after blowing a very commanding lead. 

I'll even chuck in Chelsea at home in the FA Cup last season too. They were absolutely woeful in the first half and we didn't capitalise on it and were knocked out. 

My point is that tonight is not an isolated incident. When it comes to the crunch we haven't gotten over the line. For what it's worth I believe that the club played an absolute blinder in getting Rodgers and he's been a brilliant manager for us and you'd be correct in arguing that Rodgers is very much a reason why we were in those positions in the first place. 

Good points. 

There's a worrying tendency to freeze in the headlights when it really matters. Hard to pin down to specifics, but it keeps happening with this manager. 

I like what he's done for our club, but these repeated incidents seem to dog his career and must be a concern to him in his moments of honest reflection. 

We're still doing well, but last night did us no good at all. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

We’ve got a PL game every two days now and Ric and Tim coming back from injury. He’d saved Albrighton as Barnes is a bit knackered but it turns out we didn’t have the depth in quality or performance without them. Not totally sure it would have made a difference as we need a creative midfielder on the pitch and we didn’t have one and ended up with two DCM as Hamza didn’t make much of a box to box impact. As much as I don’t rate Perez and Praet, with no Madders, having either of them would have been a game changer. 

If Barnes had of played and got injured playing the full 90 that’s season over nevemind the Europa league. We only have goals from 3 players and the main one that makes the majority of assists for them in recent weeks, is out. 

Shoulda Woulda Coulda.... The only thing I’m retrospectively even more pissed off about is that we couldn’t bring in a quality back up in the window for Youri or Madders. 

This team is short on quality in terms of having 2 class players/options for every position just about everywhere except CB and Full back. We don’t have a decent back up keeper, Mendy is nearly adequate to back up Ndidi but not a patch on him - then we struggle for a first choice RW and a second choice player in every position in front of Ndidi... and there lies our problem, plus it won’t be sorted for a fair few seasons yet!

Hard to disagree with any of this, always thought this would be a difficult season with the physical demanding schedule and little time to prepare.

From the outside looking in, this season has been about keeping things as tight as possible financial, due to the pandemic. The club has managed to trim a lot of fat from the squad Slim, Silva, whilst reinvesting the Chilwell money well in Fofana and Castagne for a net spend of 5M.

We probably needed to spend anout 40m-50m to cover the areas of weakness in the squad in attacking areas, which was never going to happen considering our normal net spend of 20m and the financial pressure of the pandemic.

• Like 2

The injuries and fixture congestion are valid points and should be taken into consideration but it doesn't completely absolve Brendan of any blame. There does seem to be a motivation problem in these kind of games. Hope it doesn't also creep into our league form now that we're in the business end of the season. He gets the plaudits when we're doing well so he should also be open to criticism. Big game on Sunday! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Adster said:

So many football experts in this  thread aided with hindsight who think they'd do a better job than Rodgers.

Fvcking morons. 

What's the point in a forum if you cannot criticize something?

If you have a bad meal out do you not criticize because you're not a chef?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Take Villa in the League Cup semi-final last season. Best chance for us to get to Wembley in 20 years against a team who we absolutely annihilated in the league and who were really struggling at time. 

Last season we finished outside of the top four after blowing a very commanding lead. 

I'll even chuck in Chelsea at home in the FA Cup last season too. They were absolutely woeful in the first half and we didn't capitalise on it and were knocked out. 

My point is that tonight is not an isolated incident. When it comes to the crunch we haven't gotten over the line. For what it's worth I believe that the club played an absolute blinder in getting Rodgers and he's been a brilliant manager for us and you'd be correct in arguing that Rodgers is very much a reason why we were in those positions in the first place. 

Everything you said is correct. The League Cup semi final and the 15 points we threw away is something I find hard to get over. Remember if we beat Villa we would face a very beatable Man City side who had lost 9 league games that season, not this runaway train we are watching this season.

2 hours ago, jmono84 said:

Have a word with yourself and how your players conduct with themselves on the pitch. You act the nice guy but clearly condone that stupid gamesmanship behaviour, especially in the first leg!

That crap ref the first leg needs sacking too, Nacho banned for this tie because he hasn’t got a clue. The player cheated him out of the tie.

That's European football, you think that's bad you should try facing the Italian sides.

• Like 1

As much as I think that side last night should have been good enough to dispatch Slavia at home, as I've said earlier in the thread, the key thing now is to go on and finish the season strongly and get a CL spot. If that happens this result will be consigned to the bin and will be a distant memory. What can't happen is surrendering meekly in Europe last night and then blowing the CL spot also. For what it's worth I don't think the latter will happen this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As much as I think that side last night should have been good enough to dispatch Slavia at home, as I've said earlier in the thread, the key thing now is to go on and finish the season strongly and get a CL spot. If that happens this result will be consigned to the bin and will be a distant memory. What can't happen is surrendering meekly in Europe last night and then blowing the CL spot also. For what it's worth I don't think the latter will happen this season.

I think that's what everyone is trying not to look directly at - the possibility of us blowing a healthy buffer in the CL spots AND going out of the Europa.

Like you say, this is forgotten if we qualify for the Champions League.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Did you not reach some of the fvcking drivel in the match thread? 

Do you think it was "fair"? 

If you do then fair play but it was fvcking embarassing from some of our "fans". Short termism at it's finest. 

If you're down for that, then fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Adster said:

Did you not reach some of the fvcking drivel in the match thread? 

Do you think it was "fair"? 

If you do then fair play but it was fvcking embarassing from some of our "fans". Short termism at it's finest. 

If you're down for that, then fine. 

No I rarely go into the match threads but I've always believed criticism is fine (as long as it's not abuse).

Some of the stuff I see in threads on here is rubbish, and not fair as you say, but it doesn't take away from the fact genuine criticism is fine.

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

You might criticise it but if you started screaming about how it was a disgrace or the worst meal anyone has ever eaten, I think people would rightly get the impression you were a bit of a tit

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

You might criticise it but if you started screaming about how it was a disgrace or the worst meal anyone has ever eaten, I think people would rightly get the impression you were a bit of a tit

As I've clarified above, general criticism is fine. I don't know how anybody expects any different after yesterday's performance and result. But I do agree some people go over the top.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Not to mention that the meal was at your favourite restaurant which had been serving brilliant food all year but just so happens the night you ate there it was short-staffed and worn out!

Over two legs. It wasn't just a one off game settled by a golden goal.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Over two legs. It wasn't just a one off game settled by a golden goal.

Thanks for clarifying, I was of the assumption that had we scored first last night the tie would’ve immediately ended and we be sent through to the next round 

• Haha 2