Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

10 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

His tactical changes at half time certainly had the desired effect, we were much better and pressed higher up 

Yes they were absolutely I agree but, weren't the initial tactics flawed from the very start, haven't we been here before. It's becoming a bit of a regularity now that we start in a certain way and have to make swift changes between 60-70 minutes to chase any kind of a result. Just off the top of my head with diverse teams like Liverpool, Burnley or Brighton, we could have easily been 3 or 4 down by halftime with all of them. Sooner or later, teams will start banging in those goals. Whatever the final results of those particular matches and I know it's the final result that really counts, we have been riding our luck incredibly. Long term I would suggest that such an approach is flawed and we'll get found out. Such an approach in the Champions League dare I suggest would see us severely punished by more astute teams. Lewandoski, Mbappe,  Ronaldo and co would have a complete field day. 

20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes they were absolutely I agree but, weren't the initial tactics flawed from the very start, haven't we been here before. It's becoming a bit of a regularity now that we start in a certain way and have to make swift changes between 60-70 minutes to chase any kind of a result. Just off the top of my head with diverse teams like Liverpool, Burnley or Brighton, we could have easily been 3 or 4 down by halftime with all of them. Sooner or later, teams will start banging in those goals. Whatever the final results of those particular matches and I know it's the final result that really counts, we have been riding our luck incredibly. Long term I would suggest that such an approach is flawed and we'll get found out. Such an approach in the Champions League dare I suggest would see us severely punished by more astute teams. Lewandoski, Mbappe,  Ronaldo and co would have a complete field day. 

I agree with you that the tactics we started with yesterday certainly didn’t work. In fact, I was also quite critical of our approach after going 1-0 up against Arsenal. However, we have to remember there is a human element to all of this. 

When we play 4 at the back, we are very dependant on Wilf having the energy and tenacity to cover that large space in front of the back 4. It’s very obvious that Wilf, at present, is missing something from his game - his touch in particular is well off. I don’t think I’ve seen Wilf give the ball away so much in that danger area for ages. 

We have to remember, Brendan probably talks regularly to the sport scientist and medical team. He knows about the injury crisis and he has come out publicly to admit that guys like Youri are currently running themselves into the ground. Playing Wilf in that position alongside an equally tiring Youri could possibly leave us more exposed. Playing the three may be an attempt to reduce that responsibility on tiring midfield players and still offer us the protection with the extra man at the back. Which is even more understandable when you consider our wing backs, Castagne and Riccy are also just coming back from injury. 

The point is, the current situation with the squad and the fitness levels of the players mean the side need to grind out results playing in a manner which is not normally the way we do things. Stay in games and change things for 20 minutes or so the players have to rely on Short energy bursts rather then prolong endurance. To judge Brendan on performances during this current mini crisis where so many are on the treatment table and those on the pitch (most of them) are desperate for a rest, is unfair. 

With exception to Man C, every team seems to hit hot and cold this season. For example,Man U are currently going through a cold period but we’re on fire a few months ago. Everton were pretty cold a few weeks ago but look hot as at the moment. It’s the peculiar  circumstances we are in.

What he is trying to do at the moment is damage limitation while still making us competitive to maintain our position and with exception to the Arsenal game, we’ve done that. Surely that’s a credit to the management team. Dare I say, a form of good management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is Moyes being talked about manager of the season but Rodgers isn't? Are we now part of the top 6 fabric that unless we win the league, nothing else is impressive?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Why is Moyes being talked about manager of the season but Rodgers isn't? Are we now part of the top 6 fabric that unless we win the league, nothing else is impressive?

Read back over the last few pages, it would seem that is correct Koke.

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I agree with you that the tactics we started with yesterday certainly didn’t work. In fact, I was also quite critical of our approach after going 1-0 up against Arsenal. However, we have to remember there is a human element to all of this. 

When we play 4 at the back, we are very dependant on Wilf having the energy and tenacity to cover that large space in front of the back 4. It’s very obvious that Wilf, at present, is missing something from his game - his touch in particular is well off. I don’t think I’ve seen Wilf give the ball away so much in that danger area for ages. 

We have to remember, Brendan probably talks regularly to the sport scientist and medical team. He knows about the injury crisis and he has come out publicly to admit that guys like Youri are currently running themselves into the ground. Playing Wilf in that position alongside an equally tiring Youri could possibly leave us more exposed. Playing the three may be an attempt to reduce that responsibility on tiring midfield players and still offer us the protection with the extra man at the back. Which is even more understandable when you consider our wing backs, Castagne and Riccy are also just coming back from injury. 

The point is, the current situation with the squad and the fitness levels of the players mean the side need to grind out results playing in a manner which is not normally the way we do things. Stay in games and change things for 20 minutes or so the players have to rely on Short energy bursts rather then prolong endurance. To judge Brendan on performances during this current mini crisis where so many are on the treatment table and those on the pitch (most of them) are desperate for a rest, is unfair. 

With exception to Man C, every team seems to hit hot and cold this season. For example,Man U are currently going through a cold period but we’re on fire a few months ago. Everton were pretty cold a few weeks ago but look hot as at the moment. It’s the peculiar  circumstances we are in.

What he is trying to do at the moment is damage limitation while still making us competitive to maintain our position and with exception to the Arsenal game, we’ve done that. Surely that’s a credit to the management team. Dare I say, a form of good management.

Very good post and some really good points.

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Alot in fact IMO 80% of These problems, are the players...mindset, too cautious, no intensity,just holding off ,passive, no commitment to the challenge....

Tielemans mentions it in 2 interviews,that the players started Off very poorly, and were far too passive across the Park...

Over the last few weeks, some fans just want to find something to have a dig at Rodgers....They cant Let go..!!

Riding our luck...:dunno:     Asute teams..:dunno:.. We have only started to Play & compete at this level...Those players mentions have/are playing for Top Teams

& have had years gathering Experience at that Level......

Your perspective is Way Off Amy Logical tangent..you conveniently forget, we are are competing for Top 2-4, with 4/5 of a season included Fallback from

Last season with a depleted squad...und Then Amy returns es Plus their Teammates need Time  to find rythm and that high -Level Performance level again.

Then our BBone Elite players are being Nursed through these games After taking again 2-3 hits, with surgury...!!!

Rodgers is getting bis squad to find A way,knowing there performances will Not be well martialsd....Oh & Dont forget, he was ne Real time, because of the

Congested season, to find any decent Time settled team-rythme, & Coaching New blood and returnees....They cant Work on ideas..

Whatever the result in the Man United game later we will have won the second most games in the league at the end of this gameweek- 17/29.

That is outstanding given our European commitments, injury problems and not having the same squad depth as the “big six”

• Thanks 1

I think he played us down a bit too much last season but he doesn't seem to be doing that this time around. He's done a great job under tough circumstances this season and that's coming from someone who has been critical of him on more than one occasion

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I also found the way we deployed our 3CBs to be interesting. We've done it a few times this season already by having one of the CBs support the attack and drive forward with the ball when they are spare. It was James Justin previously in the season, but was Fofana today, who I thought had an excellent game. It worked very nicely; Evans and Soyuncu are your "proper" defenders who have excellent positioning and defensive attributes. Both can pass, but both are colossal when playing at the back as a pair. Fofana is the fastest of the 3 with excellent acceleration and also good dribbling, and started off many of our attacks with his forward drives.

I think we’ve had issues when teams get their press right against us playing 3 atb. Both goals conceded at Burnley and Brighton were results of good pressing by the opposition.

Sheff U’s efforts were woeful. We could work it around their front two and utilise Fofana in the right pocket. This normally meant Fleck or Stevens stepped up. Space in the middle or out to Ricky P/Albrighton. I really hope that’s a case of Fofana being that much better doing it rather than Amartey than the poor opposition. 

Soyuncu does not look comfortable having to play ‘closed’ to his left wing back in this formation. Being right footed, his body shape means he can’t work the angled pass to Castagne. There were a few times as well where Sharp would come centrally and Cags would jump out - fouled him a fair few times too. Vacated some space.

Equally this might be a slight tweak to avoid the goals like at Brighton away or Leeds home where the central CB vacates the space leaving a big gap (Fofana to Brighton and Evans to Leeds) 

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I watched the game without sound and it was notable how vocal Rodgers was today compared to usual. It's almost as if he used this game as a live training session for his players! He was constantly saying things like:

- Tempo! (When the passing slowed down and we weren't moving the ball quickly)

- Clean it up! (After the ball would break to us after a repelled block and he wanted us to recycle play among the 3 CBs before going again).

- Combination! He kept instructing the players to play one two's and triangles with one another, often shouting at the players as to who they should be looking for.

- Look at the space! / Move into the space! Particularly notable with Perez, he was instructing him to take up great positions and I feel really helped him have a superb game as a result.

I found it really interesting to see and I think he would have been delighted with the way the team played. Controlled the game throughout the second half, made so many chances and really 5-0 flattered the opposition!

I also found the way we deployed our 3CBs to be interesting. We've done it a few times this season already by having one of the CBs support the attack and drive forward with the ball when they are spare. It was James Justin previously in the season, but was Fofana today, who I thought had an excellent game. It worked very nicely; Evans and Soyuncu are your "proper" defenders who have excellent positioning and defensive attributes. Both can pass, but both are colossal when playing at the back as a pair. Fofana is the fastest of the 3 with excellent acceleration and also good dribbling, and started off many of our attacks with his forward drives.

The opposition was poor today, but we looked brilliant, and it was great to see the manager get the most out of several players. I also personally thought Vardy looked much more like peak Vardy in 15/16 in terms of getting on the ball much more often and not just being the guy that puts it into the back of the net. Vardy is so much more than a finisher and though he didn't score, he did everything else but! Again the manager deserves credit for getting him so involved during the game.

I thought we went to 4 at the back at half time, looked to me like Albrighton went into midfield and Fofana went to right back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I watched the game without sound and it was notable how vocal Rodgers was today compared to usual. It's almost as if he used this game as a live training session for his players! He was constantly saying things like:

- Tempo! (When the passing slowed down and we weren't moving the ball quickly)

- Clean it up! (After the ball would break to us after a repelled block and he wanted us to recycle play among the 3 CBs before going again).

- Combination! He kept instructing the players to play one two's and triangles with one another, often shouting at the players as to who they should be looking for.

- Look at the space! / Move into the space! Particularly notable with Perez, he was instructing him to take up great positions and I feel really helped him have a superb game as a result.

I found it really interesting to see and I think he would have been delighted with the way the team played. Controlled the game throughout the second half, made so many chances and really 5-0 flattered the opposition!

The opposition was poor today, but we looked brilliant, and it was great to see the manager get the most out of several players. I also personally thought Vardy looked much more like peak Vardy in 15/16 in terms of getting on the ball much more often and not just being the guy that puts it into the back of the net. Vardy is so much more than a finisher and though he didn't score, he did everything else but! Again the manager deserves credit for getting him so involved during the game.

Thanks! Handy to have someone around who knows how to read lips:scarf:or.........?

I was critical after we went out of the Europa League, but yesterday was a prime example of how good we can be under Rodgers. We were an absolute joy to watch and I didn't want the game to end. If Rodgers and the team finish in the top four this season then they would have put to bed the collapse at the end of last season and would have answered their critics. Really hope we make it. 

7 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Taking into account how we have been just as unfortunate with injuries as any other club. If we manage to finish in the top four and Rodgers doesn't win manager of the year, then he has been robbed.

I'd have to agree. I think Moyes is the other main contender given that many were tipping them for the drop at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

He can frustrate the hell out of me sometimes trying to overthink and complicate things but then counteract that with an absolute masterclass.

To think Leicester City are becoming on a consistent top 4 side with one of the best training facilities and coaches in Europe is frankly ridiculous when you look where we were only 10-15 years ago. 

To be the only side not to drop out of the top 4 all season considering our consistent injuries is a credit to him and everyone involved, its going massively under the radar by everyone other than us! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Taking into account how we have been just as unfortunate with injuries as any other club. If we manage to finish in the top four and Rodgers doesn't win manager of the year, then he has been robbed.

No doubt Bielsa will win it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

I thought we went to 4 at the back at half time, looked to me like Albrighton went into midfield and Fofana went to right back.

That's how I saw it too and we looked a lot better for it. I thought Ricardo looked a bit out on a limb in the first half. I just hope that he was brought off for tactical reasons and hasn't aggravated an injury. 

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

That's how I saw it too and we looked a lot better for it. I thought Ricardo looked a bit out on a limb in the first half. I just hope that he was brought off for tactical reasons and hasn't aggravated an injury. 

I think Ricardo is either lacking confidence or just knackered, and either wouldn't surprise me given the injury he's just come back from (probably still coming back from). It's only due to the amount of injuries that he's been shoved back into the team.

There were a couple of things yesterday where I thought the Ricardo of old would have beat the opposition player first. But I think it's only natural, he'll be back to his old form next season I know it :)

• Like 1

I have to say I wasnt enthused when he came. The Brentisms. The tan, fixed teeth and mrs too young for him. His overcomplicated first team selection at Watford away.

But he's grown into our job. The facilities, the elite players, the disrupter, the 'silver.medallists' , the european football. He's taken seriously. 

I don't think he thought it would be when he came. We were a stepping  stone. Instead, I think LCFC and Rodgers are falling in love, so to speak. 

6 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

Soyuncu and Fofana were almost both playing full back yesterday when you look at their heat maps

Fofana was definitely given more license to roam forward though it looks like

Fofana

AEA76808-12D6-409F-AFD1-90D031686E37.jpeg

Soyuncu

9BC4CCDB-16B9-49FE-9680-2CD29AC574F4.jpeg

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2