Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Mentality.

You'd hope that in the same way the play-off loss to Watford galvanised the squad, that last seasons disastrous run in would go some way to doing the same thing, even if it was our own fault.

I think yesterday was certainly a positive sign, but I think as Dan said what really counts is how we do under pressure.

In some ways, going 1-0 so early is much better than going 1 down at half an hour into the game, because you at least know that you have so much of the game left to rectify conceding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think the real test of our mentality will come when the pressure is on us. This isn't a criticism but it's more that we've not yet discovered if they can deliver when there's any pressure on them to - so far there hasn't been really.

I agree. Let's wait till when we lose a game to see how we can bounce back or face a team in a high pressured game where the stakes are high. We failed last season in the league Cup semi final and towards the end of the season when we needed to beat united to get fourth. 

It feels different and we feel more resilient so far this season, but we don't want a repeat of last season where we got ourselves into an incredible position and then blew it. Therefore I'm reserving judgement on the mentality of these players until we have a response to a disappointment. 

I think that we have shown great resilience to turn around the form of the last six months thus far.  I really thought it would continue.  It does however irritate me even more that we suffered an 18pt turnaround at the hands of Maguire's United and with so much at stake, when we are now showing what we are capable of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think that we have shown great resilience to turn around the form of the last six months thus far.  I really thought it would continue.  It does however irritate me even more that we suffered an 18pt turnaround at the hands of Maguire's United and with so much at stake, when we are now showing what we are capable of.

Maybe one needed to happen for the other to emerge.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, murphy said:

I agree - it was a real kick in the nuts, but, as @HighPeakFox says, perhaps it was the catalyst for our current form - much like Deeney Day spurred us on to piss the Championship.

The way I've decided to look at it is; Man Utd will have been lulled into a false sense of security somewhat by us letting what happened happen. I think it is actually the case that they only really spend big when they don't make top 4. Their defence is dirt, and there are no signs of that being fixed. Their manager is stealing a living (and is also apparently a rapist-shielding scumbag, but that is besides the point). They've only got so much luck, and they must have used most of it getting that win over Brighton.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shailen said:

I agree. Let's wait till when we lose a game to see how we can bounce back or face a team in a high pressured game where the stakes are high. We failed last season in the league Cup semi final and towards the end of the season when we needed to beat united to get fourth. 

It feels different and we feel more resilient so far this season, but we don't want a repeat of last season where we got ourselves into an incredible position and then blew it. Therefore I'm reserving judgement on the mentality of these players until we have a response to a disappointment. 

Ironically though I think this season has an air of free hit, so pressure won’t be as intense. The wars race of transfers has continued despite a global pandemic. We all understandably expect a dip when the Europa League kicks in (I actually think that’s dependent on the draw and the telling point will be December onwards as opposed to the EL aftermath). 

The improvement in performance at West Brom in the second half was huge as a confidence builder. Combination factors such as debutant, low confidence, injuries throws were put aside. I think the PL is so average that confidence and momentum is such a huge factor. 

56 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

The way I've decided to look at it is; Man Utd will have been lulled into a false sense of security somewhat by us letting what happened happen. I think it is actually the case that they only really spend big when they don't make top 4. Their defence is dirt, and there are no signs of that being fixed. Their manager is stealing a living (and is also apparently a rapist-shielding scumbag, but that is besides the point). They've only got so much luck, and they must have used most of it getting that win over Brighton.

Three points here. 

1) Man U were afforded the chance to play reserves and rest players with the Europa League last season. This won’t be the case this year. They will have to play the same players across the two competitions. Hence they will struggle as generally speaking their back up brigade is crap. 

2) They don’t have a coherent plan in their recruitment which we all know. They play a very set 4-3-3 system currently. This leaves the centre defenders exposed. The right back they have whose very good at using his pace to cover has no decent replacement. They finally realised at left back they have an issue. In midfield, they now have three ‘attacking’ midfielders which means one either doesn’t play (Van Der Beek) or plays a role he’s not suited to (Pogba). The first choice defensive midfielder is a crab.

The whole system is designed to get their front three playing. Martial has apparently repeatedly used his agent to do transfer games when he won’t played centrally. Greenwood and Rashford on wings when you could argue they are better centrally. So they have chased Sancho all Summer for what purpose? Just another marketing, shirt sales signing as per Pogba rather than addressing the actual immediate issues. 

3) There’s a peculiar pattern in the PL currently where the ‘middle class’ have better managers as the ‘big 6’ seem besotted with the idea of hiring blokes who have a former connection to clubs. Despite them being....well just very average managers. Arteta and Klopp appear to be the only managers out of the six capable of moulding their tactics to the available players rather than as described in point 2 and also seen at Chelsea trying to shoehorn players into a formation and system they abide by. The signings this summer by Arteta and Klopp either complement what they are attempting or they suggest a tactical evolvement. 

Anyway I’m waffling. 

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ironically though I think this season has an air of free hit, so pressure won’t be as intense. The wars race of transfers has continued despite a global pandemic. We all understandably expect a dip when the Europa League kicks in (I actually think that’s dependent on the draw and the telling point will be December onwards as opposed to the EL aftermath). 

The improvement in performance at West Brom in the second half was huge as a confidence builder. Combination factors such as debutant, low confidence, injuries throws were put aside. I think the PL is so average that confidence and momentum is such a huge factor. 

It's never a free hit. If we maintain this form till around Christmas, there is no doubt we'll have the same fans singing "we're gonna win the league" and "if we blow CL from here it will be a disgrace" etc.. 

I agree though with the confidence and momentum comment. There is very little between a lot of teams in the PL and confidence and momentum is a huge factor. It's was a huge reason as to why we won the league imo back in 15/16. We never lost that momentum from the great escape season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Three points here. 

1) Man U were afforded the chance to play reserves and rest players with the Europa League last season. This won’t be the case this year. They will have to play the same players across the two competitions. Hence they will struggle as generally speaking their back up brigade is crap. 

2) They don’t have a coherent plan in their recruitment which we all know. They play a very set 4-3-3 system currently. This leaves the centre defenders exposed. The right back they have whose very good at using his pace to cover has no decent replacement. They finally realised at left back they have an issue. In midfield, they now have three ‘attacking’ midfielders which means one either doesn’t play (Van Der Beek) or plays a role he’s not suited to (Pogba). The first choice defensive midfielder is a crab.

The whole system is designed to get their front three playing. Martial has apparently repeatedly used his agent to do transfer games when he won’t played centrally. Greenwood and Rashford on wings when you could argue they are better centrally. So they have chased Sancho all Summer for what purpose? Just another marketing, shirt sales signing as per Pogba rather than addressing the actual immediate issues. 

3) There’s a peculiar pattern in the PL currently where the ‘middle class’ have better managers as the ‘big 6’ seem besotted with the idea of hiring blokes who have a former connection to clubs. Despite them being....well just very average managers. Arteta and Klopp appear to be the only managers out of the six capable of moulding their tactics to the available players rather than as described in point 2 and also seen at Chelsea trying to shoehorn players into a formation and system they abide by. The signings this summer by Arteta and Klopp either complement what they are attempting or they suggest a tactical evolvement. 

Anyway I’m waffling. 

I've run out of rep points after catching up with the Fofana thread, but I agree with all of this.

The comments on momentum are spot on too, for what it's worth. I think what's surprised a lot of us about our start this season has been that it represents such a drastic turnaround from where we were just a few weeks ago.

Sometimes it just takes a tiny spark to set in motion the freight train of positive results. A lucky break, or a moment in a game that lifts the team spirits. Kingy's late winner against West Ham springs to mind in particular. What was most notable was that we carried that momentum across seasons, which is why a lot of us expected us to continue to bleed goals and results after such a protracted car crash through 2020 - especially after such a short break.

It's a far cry from the doldrum years up until the relegation to League One, when I seem to recall we found it next to impossible to bag back-to-back wins. But three wins in a row (gonna brush over the League Cup for the sake of my own narrative here :ph34r: ) is such an alien situation to be in that it's hard not to feel just a tinge of excitement about our prospects again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The scars are still there I feel.

Many times last season it frustrated me so much how mentally weak we were and how we seem scared, mentally and physically in certain games - almost every game after the restart and as the season came to a close.

I thought we'd perhaps addressed these issues given what we've seen so far this season, comebacks and how we played against Man City and Arsenal.

Perhaps i'm being harsh, tonight may have been a one off but we looked more scared than ever tonight, it seems like some kind of mental block against Liverpool.

It remains to be seen as we go on through the season but it tonight certainly makes me ask some questions again, hopefully we learn again and become stronger - until we face the Scousers again. :dry:

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We had an absolute honking result against West Ham this season - a result which we allowed for the first occasion since coming up to the PL in 14/15. 

We recovered. 

We recovered in part to the Liverpool result last time. The real killer was the two losses to Southampton and Burnley.