Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

5-4-1: Brendan Rodgers' Tactical Masterclass

6 minutes ago, nnickn said:

That is brilliant, but you really shouldn't be posting our tactics.

However if BR sees this you be getting a job offer.

I think the analyst he brought from Celtic, Jack Lyons, was literally employed by Rodgers in the same manner. Run of the mill Celtic fan who was producing impressive analysis. 

@StriderHiryu Get on it! ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I did mention that in the part about kicking it long and Amartey winning the ball back via aerial duels, but this is a very good point. Quite simply I couldn't find a good point in the match where that happened to make a GIF from to put into the post. But @kingfox is entirely correct here. In deciding to kick the ball long, it meant we needed some physical presence to win the ball from Man City. With Vardy, Barnes, Mendy and co, we don't have physical players and Ndidi was injured. Thus Amartey would often leave his station as RCB and push up into midfield when Kasper kicked it long. 

If anyone knows a timestamp during the match when it happened, please let me know! This is definitely one of the nuances that helped us win on the day, so well spotted!

If you watch the gif with Amartey's header, you can see that when he initially heads the ball he is in front of Youri, and it seems like because we keep the ball he holds his position. It comes out to him again, and he has a bad touch and loses the ball, and presses briefly.

He then gets on his bike to return to his 'without the ball position' (maybe), retreating beyond Youri at a rate of knots. As JJ successfuly presses we clearly get organised very quickly, JJ presses again, and Big Dan pops up in exactly the same place he previously occupied, with Evans close behind him, tight up against his man.

Whatever it quite was, it was shockingly direct for a BR team. I think Brendan matured a bit, as a manager, in that game.

Finally, I wonder if the senior players made a difference in his thinking, because that was a totally committed performance, more so than previous games with Man City. Piper said he could tell they meant business before the game.

ps  MVP, by some margin, thank you for sharing. :appl:

Thank you @StriderHiryu........Just thoughts and no need to answer. The interesting thing to me is "what's next" or "what now".

How will this affect how we play other clubs in the future. West Ham on Sunday? How many other clubs play possession one match and counter attack the next? Is this a hybrid? Really trying to wrap my head around playing multiple styles especially after watching Rodgers and football the last ten years......... Your truly, Stupefied in Savannah  

28 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

If you watch the gif with Amartey's header, you can see that when he initially heads the ball he is in front of Youri, and it seems like because we keep the ball he holds his position. It comes out to him again, and he has a bad touch and loses the ball, and presses briefly.

He then gets on his bike to return to his 'without the ball position' (maybe), retreating beyond Youri at a rate of knots. As JJ successfuly presses we clearly get organised very quickly, JJ presses again, and Big Dan pops up in exactly the same place he previously occupied, with Evans close behind him, tight up against his man.

Whatever it quite was, it was shockingly direct for a BR team. I think Brendan matured a bit, as a manager, in that game.

Finally, I wonder if the senior players made a difference in his thinking, because that was a totally committed performance, more so than previous games with Man City. Piper said he could tell they meant business before the game.

ps  MVP, by some margin, thank you for sharing. :appl:

Is it possible that Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis have been having secret meetings with Brendan at a discreet location to discuss direct Football? :fishing:

Great post and agree with it completely. The only issue I do have with those tactics is that it’s all well and good if we get on top of the game but it requires a lot of luck to get the first hurdle.

We were well and truly second best at first and they had a few great chances for 2-0 then what? It’s game over without really trying.

It takes a bit of luck and a freak to knick the equaliser. It wasn’t a great chance and Walker has given us a pen where as if he is smart and let’s Vardy go, there’s no chance he will score from the angle he was.

1-0 down at HT and Fernandinho doesn’t come off, it’s a whole different game. City would squeeze us and then we’d have to take risks.

It also would be a lot less likely to work vs a team with a stronger defence. This was a weak city without Laporte and Fernandinho was off at 1-1 , up until that point we wernt as threatening.

Against a Liverpool this would probably be harder to do seeing as With AA, Robertson and Van Dijk and Gomez, there not going to be as willing to hand out gifts.

It was a good performance by the boys, it helped that they didn’t have their best defender, Peps strange decision to take off their ball winner, a striker who takes 3/3 chances and raw pace of our wing backs giving options all over the place.

These tactics arnt something to be seen as the way to beat a top 6 team in the future, the whole situation worked due to Citys depleted squad.

Our team is so much better when on the front foot, the first 25 mins we could of given too much of a mountain to climb and was very fortunate in a few ways how it panned out.

Great win, good overall gameplan for this city team but in general I don’t want BR thinking he’s cracked the code and do this an Anfield and Old Trafford etc because it won’t work

Edited by deanolegend1989

Rodgers tactical approach was also a big shock to Man City - this is probably why Rodri was so vocal in this respect immediately after the game. They simply didn’t prepare to face a team employing a deep low block, even after going behind.  Even more strange was that the half time interval didn’t provide a tactical change from them to deal with it,  almost as if they couldn’t adapt their game plan in real time. 

will be very interesting to see if rodgers does employ this tactic again ......he won’t have slept well on Saturday night and despite the end justifying the means, he will do everything he can to avoid revisiting it. However, what it does do is provide klopp with a bigger tactical preparation than he would usually have ahead of a game against us. are there any other teams in this league that rodgers would do this against?  I can’t think that there are. 

Guest Markyblue

Some great tactical thoughts and analysis on here, i thought the basic fact of kasper hitting it much longer to dan and not rolling it to the fb to be pressèd by man city helped enormously.