Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Pay-per-view offer is no deal for fans

22 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's a really simple solution here isn't there. If fans feel the charge is unreasonable, dont whine, just don't buy it! I know I won't it simply isn't worth it. Radio coverage makes a different and great alternative on occasions anyway. 

If you whine and buy your asking for all you get, you become part of the problem and it will continue. Likewise, if you're happy to pay for it fine, that's absolutely your right.

Thing is, if nobody moans about it then it doesn't come to anybody's attention, how long before the broadcasters start deciding that the games that people want to watch are on ppv. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Thing is, if nobody moans about it then it doesn't come to anybody's attention, how long before the broadcasters start deciding that the games that people want to watch are on ppv. 

By simply not buying, the message gets across because the vendor is left with an unsaleable product on their hands.

That having been said, there's nothing wrong with 'pay per view' per sey, merely the pricing. Many many years ago whilst visiting family in the South of Italy, I saw a number of men walking along the street in Inter Milan shirts. I asked a relative why that was and he explained they were on there way to the Inter bar. Even then you could buy a media season ticket from your club of choice to watch your teams matches. Bar owners would buy a particular club's matches then charge a small entrance fee to watch the match. It seemed a popular think to do and a good idea in my opinion. I don't know whether they still have it there.

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's a really simple solution here isn't there. If fans feel the charge is unreasonable, dont whine, just don't buy it! I know I won't it simply isn't worth it. Radio coverage makes a different and great alternative on occasions anyway. 

If you whine and buy your asking for all you get, you become part of the problem and it will continue. Likewise, if you're happy to pay for it fine, that's absolutely your right.

There's a level of solidarity across fans in England that I don't ever think I've seen before on this. How I'd love for the less attractive games to be making a loss for the broadcaster.

The phrase "Football without fans is nothing", has never been more evident. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Where are all the "let the market decide" folks.

If you cant afford it.. bad luck ay

Well it is true, if it really is as shite as we think it is no-one will pay and they will have reevaluate it. If people decide to pay it then it will be deemed a success.

I wont be paying it, if it was under a fiver a game I would consider it, if it was available as a Sky sports add on for a fixed cost I would consider it but £14.95 for one game, on TV just not remotely a good deal.

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

I personally could afford it but choose not to pay it.

There's a difference in refusing to pay a ticket price for live football as someone will invariably want that ticket. In this case, I think that should football supporters en masse refused to pay such a price, it could send quite a powerful message to the type of people that continually want to milk supporters for all they can. Our club in fairness are reasonably fair but many aren't. It's damaging what for generations has been an important family spectator sport and greed in football in more general terms is going to put many of our smaller clubs out of business as well as the ramifications of Covid.

yeh, My facetious point was more that a LOT of people on this site are quite happy to say "if you cant afford, you dont deserve" about every other part of society.

Until it affects them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's frustrating - For a lot of people the prospect of Leicester being on TV is something to look forward to all week.

The temptation of being able to watch it will make people pay as a 'one off'....then the next games comes against Arsenal and its the same thought process...

Before you know it you have spent the best part of £30 on watching it.

Theres a difference between not being able to afford it - where the decision is made for you...I am sure plenty of people will pay for it thus making it a success in Sky's eyes.

Sky fleece the elderly and the none tech savy on a daily basis, why not expand their wicked ways.

Moral of the story - illegal streams :beer:

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 2

By comparing this offer to the offer that is open to the English Football League teams, the EPL put a 50% (ok 49.5%) higher value on their “superior product”. Don’t tell me that English football league fans are less committed to their teams then Premier League fans are to theirs and watching their team doesn’t matter to them as much. And don’t tell me that Premier League fans have more money to spend on watching matches then their football league colleagues, you won’t get many nonpartisan fans signing up to this offer. Parity at £10 would be more reasonable, but not this.

Edited by mydogzonfire
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Foxes_Trust said:

Fans of Premier League clubs are rightly angered by the latest announcement to charge £14.95 to view matches.

Leicester City apparently the sole vote of reason

Full Trust Statement https://foxestrust.co.uk/8474/pay-per-view-offer-is-no-deal-for-fans

Yeah I’m sorry the fact you are talking about cheaper price points is a disgrace and I stopped reading there. It should be a firm no to PPV football.

If you allow the PL to start going down the PPV path it’s going to effect match going fans of whatever frequency and non match going fans in equal measure forever. As it’ll be here to stay, along with the death of the Saturday 3pm kick offs.

• Like 3

I wonder pre-Covid-19, how many FT members watched our games on illegal streams because they cannot attend games and there is no legal alternative? 

This PPV issue needs looking at once and when COVID-19 ceases to prevent fans attending games.   Clearly PPV has a place and the price thereof will be less sensitive when we do not have have millions of fans in fear of losing their jobs/homes and of how to put food on the table.

This price as quoted for this interim period seems excessive given the circumstances we live in.  You would hope Football Clubs would actually recognize the plight of fans and their families during this dreadful pandemic.  Leicester City FC did.

Living outside of the UK, if I could buy a PPV season ticket from LCFC to watch home games at least legally on LCFC tv, I would willingly pay.   Of course introducing platforms like this will impact on EPL TV rights income.  

Perhaps Project 'Big Stitch-up' may be better covering issues like this instead of trying implement selfish initiatives that benefit the 'BIG 6' only under a smoke screen of utter boll*x. 

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I wonder pre-Covid-19, how many FT members watched our games on illegal streams because they cannot attend games and there is no legal alternative? 

This PPV issue needs looking at once and when COVID-19 ceases to prevent fans attending games.   Clearly PPV has a place and the price thereof will be less sensitive when we do have have millions of fans in fear of losing their jobs/homes and of how to put food on the table.

This price as quoted for this interim period seems excessive given the circumstances we live in.  You would hope Football Clubs would actually recognize the plight of fans and their families during this dreadful pandemic.  Leicester City FC did.

Living outside of the UK, if I could buy a PPV season ticket from LCFC to watch home games at least legally on LCFC tv, I would willingly pay.   Of course introducing platforms like this will impact on EPL TV rights income.  

Perhaps Project 'Big Stitch-up' may be better covering issues like this instead of trying implement selfish initiatives that benefit the 'BIG 6' only under a smoke screen of utter boll*x. 

I can't work out why the clubs are not doing this themselves other leagues do it with the ifollow platform, the matches being shown wouldn't have been sky/bt matches anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not if you're hard of hearing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I can't work out why the clubs are not doing this themselves other leagues do it with the ifollow platform, the matches being shown wouldn't have been sky/bt matches anyway.

Probably the advertising revenue. Sky/BT still have a lot to gain regardless of their "charitable giving"

• Like 1

I think we could afford it, we're not allowed out and hospitality is closed so saving there but income our is significantly reduced, however, I'll not be paying it. There are 2 of us and we support different teams, that's £30 per weekend. Absolutely not.

The reality for me is that I'm in no different a position to a normal weekend when we're not on tv, can't go to the game, can't get the radio commentary, so it's hope for a stream.

For fans who would normally attend, it's a complete debacle!

• Like 1