Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Pay-per-view offer is no deal for fans

3 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

I still don't know why individual clubs can't take control of broadcasting their own games. It would be easy and fans would happily pay (as long as it's a reasonable price) as they'll know it goes straight to the club and not some multi-conglomerate media corporation more interested in fleecing us.I think they could even make it voluntary donations via something like Patreon and they'd still generate a lot of money. Broadcast it on Twitch or Youtube, add a chat, add donation incentives like avatars, extra videos, banners, give fandoms the chance to be optional commentators on streams... there's SO many possibilities and they are ALL better than this BS.  

That would enable the bigger supported clubs especially those with large overseas following to get an even larger proportion of the income generated by the PL. Let's not forget without the lesser supported teams they wouldn't exist either.

3 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

I still don't know why individual clubs can't take control of broadcasting their own games. It would be easy and fans would happily pay (as long as it's a reasonable price) as they'll know it goes straight to the club and not some multi-conglomerate media corporation more interested in fleecing us.I think they could even make it voluntary donations via something like Patreon and they'd still generate a lot of money. Broadcast it on Twitch or Youtube, add a chat, add donation incentives like avatars, extra videos, banners, give fandoms the chance to be optional commentators on streams... there's SO many possibilities and they are ALL better than this BS.  

Sky and BT are not getting the money and did not set the price point. This is the premier league being a bunch of greedy cvnts supported by 19 out of 20 clubs.

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Sky and BT are not getting the money and did not set the price point. This is the premier league being a bunch of greedy cvnts supported by 19 out of 20 clubs.

The clubs are getting around £3 a match, the rest goes in expenses.

On 12/10/2020 at 13:41, mozartfox said:

I wonder pre-Covid-19, how many FT members watched our games on illegal streams because they cannot attend games and there is no legal alternative? 

This PPV issue needs looking at once and when COVID-19 ceases to prevent fans attending games.   Clearly PPV has a place and the price thereof will be less sensitive when we do not have have millions of fans in fear of losing their jobs/homes and of how to put food on the table.

This price as quoted for this interim period seems excessive given the circumstances we live in.  You would hope Football Clubs would actually recognize the plight of fans and their families during this dreadful pandemic.  Leicester City FC did.

Living outside of the UK, if I could buy a PPV season ticket from LCFC to watch home games at least legally on LCFC tv, I would willingly pay.   Of course introducing platforms like this will impact on EPL TV rights income.  

Perhaps Project 'Big Stitch-up' may be better covering issues like this instead of trying implement selfish initiatives that benefit the 'BIG 6' only under a smoke screen of utter boll*x. 

I watch streams because I am a foxile, I have moved away from Leicester but have followed city since my dad took me to my first match aged 10. 

You can’t listen to radio Leicester match commentary online, they only broadcast it over the radio in Leicestershire and nearby areas. Online radio Leicester, as soon as the match coverage starts it is switched off due to licensing issues.

I try and get to one or two matches per season, but it is a long travel and tickets are like gold dust. I have a family member that has a season ticket and can occasionally get me a ticket. Tickets for most matches don’t get to general sale.

so THE ONLY WAY I can watch or listen to the matches is a stream - not every lcfc match is on sky or BT.

I would happily pay a reasonable amount for a pay per view that let me watch just Leicester matches (I have MOTD) for other teams I am not really bothered about. But a reasonable amount is £5. I would pay £100 for a season ticket to watch lcfc matches online.

the match day experience is so much better than watching on TV, so I would still continue to attend at the stadium as often as I could get there and get a ticket.

Pay per view would not result in lower attendance at grounds, it would just make access to the matches more accessible provided it is priced correctly.

Netflix, computer game company’s, and the music industry have worked out that if you make films, music, and game accessible at a reasonable price and with an accessible online service, it completely eliminates piracy.

however the Premier League and Football association don’t seem to have twigged on to this.

I don’t like watching streams - they are unreliable, a hassle to setup, they stutter and drop out at key match points, and often you have to switch streams 2/3 times a match.

I would happily pay a reasonable price for an online ticket to watch Leicester, but £15 per match on top of sky and BT is just ripping off the consumer. Spotify give me pretty much ALL THE MUSIC for £10/month, or free if I don’t mind an occasional advert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Hard to believe or being hoodwinked, surely they record them all anyway where does all the extra cost come from?

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

Hard to believe or being hoodwinked, surely they record them all anyway where does all the extra cost come from?

I'm guessing presenters, studios, commentators and other such shite, if you think Lineker earns millions it must be thousands per match, so one set of presenters and commentators is going to cost thousands. I don't know if you're allowed adverts on PPV and I don't know if paddy power or whoever will be willing stump up a load more money to sponsor a hated PPV game. The other thing is the costs are fixed so that will be an estimate based on how many people are expected to pay, which I suspect will be down on projected.

I guess we will find out on Monday when the papers gleefully rake over the coals.

• Like 1

I’m not paying for it on principle.

I think the cost is outrageous to the generally football supporter, that already has Sky, BT and forked out for a the season ticket / membership fiasco. 

The costs and number of buys will be interesting and I anticipated they’ll be lower than projected and prove the point that they’ve got the price point of this all wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’m not paying for it on principle.

I think the cost is outrageous to the generally football supporter, that already has Sky, BT and forked out for a the season ticket / membership fiasco. 

The costs and number of buys will be interesting and I anticipated they’ll be lower than projected and prove the point that they’ve got the price point of this all wrong. 

I bet the thought we'd be drawn in by the 99p. After all it could easily have been £15.

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

Streaming the PPV match today was the most satisfying stream ever.

Same here, once I found out streaming’s not illegal, paid for a vpn, bought a hdmi lightning adapter and watched it on the tv through l I v e p l a y e r on iOS. No buffering or anything as I swear isps can shut down or throttle back the streams on the fly.

• Thanks 1

It does make you wonder when you can get a now tv pass for £9.99 & watch all the games that day so on a Sunday if there are 3 or 4 games it works out £ 3,33 or £2.50 a game yet they want £14,95 for 90 minutes but yet a boxing ppv is say £19.99 & you get a full undercard & main event & the programme runs for possibly 5-6 hours . I’m sure if they charged £5 a game a lot of people would be more than happy to pay to support your team 

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

Surely the amount clubs receive would change every game. The expenses would be a set amount, but, say Fulham v Brighton has a total audience of 20,000 and Liverpool v Newcastle had a total audience of 100,000 then there would be differing amount of profits for the clubs involved. 
Unless whoever came up with the idea preset the split in which case why would clubs agree - even 50,000 supporters signing up through official channels only bring in £150,000, so a club getting 10 PPV games gets 1.5 million - peanuts in Premier League terms, especially when compared to the negative press it’s received.