Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Filip Benkovic to Cardiff (Loan)

6 hours ago, brucey said:

8801D722-4FFC-49CF-8536-A96D78706D5E.jpeg

So either

1. A fully fit Benkovic was good enough for the PL, but his injuries and lack of match fitness have ruined that
2. Rodgers underestimated the standard required for the PL

3. He was never really good enough and Rodgers was just talking his players up

4. Him and Rodgers had a lovers tiff. 

Not in the match day squad for Cardiff City today vs Middlesbrough

Cardiff City correspondants thoughts of why:

Seems like he only got on the bench last week because of other injuries to the squad, so he looks like currently he is the 4th choice CB

Edited by moore_94
  • Sad 1

It is clear the lad needs game so I imagine the club and player ask if he’s in the picture to play. I can’t imagine Cardiff would have said we plan to play him in the reserves. Neither city or Benkovic would have agreed. Let’s hope he makes his way into the team or it’ll be an awful waste and move.

So he’s been at Cardiff about 3 weeks and has found himself in the u’23’s. Presumably the coaching staff there have run the rule over him in that time. Suggests he’s a good way from even getting minutes in the league below. 
Bearing in mind we now have a 19 year old centre half who will be first choice, I don’t think the “promising youngster who just needs minutes” line can really wash. Fofana proves if you are good enough you are old enough.

Benkovic will be another Kaputska I fear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TamworthFoxes said:

So he’s been at Cardiff about 3 weeks and has found himself in the u’23’s. Presumably the coaching staff there have run the rule over him in that time. Suggests he’s a good way from even getting minutes in the league below. 
Bearing in mind we now have a 19 year old centre half who will be first choice, I don’t think the “promising youngster who just needs minutes” line can really wash. Fofana proves if you are good enough you are old enough.

Benkovic will be another Kaputska I fear.

Slightly bigger cabbage though.

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2020 at 13:24, ScrumpyJack said:

If we all chip in, we can pay £20.75 for a personalised video from the lad. Could find out his Spoons order?

https://www.cameo.com/filipbenkovic

Christian Fuchs is on Cameo too - https://www.cameo.com/christianfuchs

Tbf to him Fuchs on Cameo just makes so much sense, he's a natural on social media and loves a video clip. He's about 4 x the price of Benk though.

However, if you really want to push the boat out for a loved one, for just under £800 you could bag yourself a message from Avram Grant lol

Edited by LCCFox96

On 23/10/2020 at 22:38, ScrumpyJack said:

I am not proclaiming to be 'in the know' here, but I have been privy to some information regarding the wee Croatian.

Presently Benkovic has a long-term future at the club. The issue is that he hasn't had enough exposure to first-team football in recent years. His loan to Cardiff isn't a make or break scenario, or an attempt to find him a new home. Rather they want him to recieve consistent playtime, hence the risk with sending him out whilst knowing Soyuncu was unfit; they did not want to take away his opportunity to develop. 

Given that he is still relatively young at barely 23, I hope that he is given room to prosper. I'd be wary of ruling him out too soon, Thiago Silva was playing for Fluminese at that age.

Good to hear and makes sense, I thought this would have been the case.

On 23/10/2020 at 16:44, brucey said:

8801D722-4FFC-49CF-8536-A96D78706D5E.jpeg

So either

1. A fully fit Benkovic was good enough for the PL, but his injuries and lack of match fitness have ruined that
2. Rodgers underestimated the standard required for the PL

3. He was never really good enough and Rodgers was just talking his players up

I don't think 2. is ever a possible option, Rodgers will know more than most what is required at PL level given he's managed most of his career there and almost won the league.

1. is closest to the truth imo, the first statement was made when Benkovic was fit, flying and was playing every week. He's barely played since he was at Celtic and has spent pretty much all the time since on the treatment table so physically he's obviously going to be nowhere near ready to play premier league football. If his ability was seriously in question then the club would have cut their losses by now and probably sold him to us. The big question mark over Benkovic and whether he makes it or not is fitness, nothing to do with ability.

Like most things context is key here.

• Like 1

If Cardiff are not going to play him, bring him back here. Pointless.  There is a player in there he just needs to get playing and be given a chance.  We could do with him now given we playing two games a week.  Baffling.

12 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

If Cardiff are not going to play him, bring him back here. Pointless.  There is a player in there he just needs to get playing and be given a chance.  We could do with him now given we playing two games a week.  Baffling.

There's an awful lot of season left.......look at it as Cardiff doing us a favour.