Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Filip Benkovic to Cardiff (Loan)

Cardiff City Loan For Filip Benković

Leicester City defender Filip Benković will spend the 2020/21 season with Championship side Cardiff City after a loan deal was agreed, subject to Football League approval.

- Defender Filip Benković to spend 2020/21 season on loan with Cardiff City
- He has previously spent time on loan with Celtic and Bristol City
- The Croatian international joined the Foxes in 2018 from Dinamo Zagreb

The 23-year-old Croatian international joined the Foxes in 2018 from Dinamo Zagreb and has since spent time developing during successful loan spells with Celtic and Bristol City over the last two seasons.

He made his Foxes debut in an EFL Cup tie against Fleetwood Town in 2018 before playing 27 times for Celtic in all competitions later that season under current City boss Brendan Rodgers.

Benković, who is a product of Dinamo Zagreb’s youth academy and made his debut for his national side against Tunisia in June 2019, went on to spend the second half of the 2019/20 season on loan with Bristol City in the Championship, where he scored two goals in 10 appearances.

His progression now continues with Neil Harris’ Cardiff City side, who sit 16th in the Championship table after four fixtures and next face a trip to Deepdale to face Preston North End on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by moore_94

How is a 37 year old wes morgan and that steaming pile that was Bennet considered good enough for the PL but benkovic who was seen as one of the most talented youngsters that zagreb have produced in recent years and who was quality for celtic and decent for bristol (although ive heard conflicting reviews between brilliant when given a chance and shite so im not sure what to believe) seen as not worthy to get minutes from our bench is staggering. These championship loans clearly arent working as he was benched by williams last time round who is utter shite and i refuse to believe he is any worse than him and also we shot ourselfs in the foot last time as we ended up with bennet and morgan as our centrebacks and 0 depth. I feel like for his best interests we need to sell benkovic as he's apparently training well but he's not been given the chance to perform.

6 hours ago, Corky said:

All very bizarre. He was signed by Rodgers, played a good amount of matches under him yet barely gets a look in and is sent on loan when we have defenders injured.

Not especially. Context is that played a lot in Scotland, played well enough to start most games, this does not inherently mean that ability translate to playing in the EPL.

Plenty of guys from Scotland don’t cut it down here, plenty do I know, but it’s not a guaranteed thing.

1 hour ago, harpendenfox said:

It does seem like a really odd situation. We have a vast number of games in the weeks ahead and a real centre back injury problem. So we let a centre-back for whom we paid £13 million go out on loan.

...I saw Benkovic when he played for the U23s and he looked traumatized!!!

He appeared to be afraid to commit to a tackle and was on the periphery of the match. He looked haunted and morose and did not get out of first gear. His injury problems have now become a mental issue and he has to work through this, to come out the other side.

He is a more than capable player who I initially believed was ahead of Soyuncu when they came in and I believe a Benkovic at his best is definitely a Premier league player.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

We don’t see what he does on the training ground regularly. So perhaps he is no where near up to the standard. 

Yep.

People on here wanted him in on the back of a few games at Bristol City.

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

I'm trying to think about the bigger picture...

Nope, sorry ...

Still don't get it!

Well the manager doesn’t think he’s currently good enough. So for me it makes perfect sense. No point having him around if he’s never going to play. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Viva said:

Well the manager doesn’t think he’s currently good enough. So for me it makes perfect sense. No point having him around if he’s never going to play. 

Not better than Old Wes, Fuchs and all our other fantastic options?...

Blimey!!....get rid then!

• Like 1