Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Filip Benkovic to Cardiff (Loan)

Leicester City have recalled centre-back Filip Benkovic from his loan spell at Cardiff City.

The Croatia international joined the Bluebirds in October on what was meant to be a season-long loan but he has had little opportunity to make an impression with the Championship club.

The 23-year-old has only made one substitute appearance for Cardiff.

That was as a replacement for captain Sean Morrison during the 2-1 defeat at bottom side Wycombe Wanderers.

Benkovic joined Leicester for a reported fee of £13m in August 2018 from Dinamo Zagreb.

Last season he was loaned to Bristol City and also spent time at Celtic in the 2018-19 campaign.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Judging by the reaction of their fans they seem to think Harris hasn't got a clue. That said there's been several managers that don't think hes up to it.

He seemed to do okay at Bristol City last year. Weirdly with the injuries our centre backs have got he'd probably have play more than 75 minutes for us.

Interesting that he featured and was raved about following the dismissal of the Bristol City manager last season. Yet couldn't seem to buy an appearance at Cardiff.

Sadly he now has Amartey to compete with as 4th choice, I don't even think he'd necessarily get a sniff vs Stoke on Saturday but I hope he gets the right club as there's a player in there worth what we paid for him and we shouldn't end up losing all what we paid for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Great news!

Hopefully he’ll get a loan somewhere he can get a consistent run of games and prove, once and for all, whether he has any future with us 

Sounds like another loan is lined up given that we've recalled him rather than being sent back. Wonder how much the loan fee was? 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Sadly he now has Amartey to compete with as 4th choice, I don't even think he'd necessarily get a sniff vs Stoke on Saturday but I hope he gets the right club as there's a player in there worth what we paid for him and we shouldn't end up losing all what we paid for him.

Might be able to get 6million for him if we’re incredibly, incredibly lucky. Based on his Celtic/pre injury form of course. Been a nightmare for him here, got to feel for him. One good loan move could change everything though. Keep at it

• Like 2

Ordinarily you'd say chuck him in on Saturday like we did a few seasons back. But we probably want to send him somewhere that might not want him cup tied so that probably wont happen.

You wonder if perhaps he personally isn't assertive enough for Football League managers to take notice. With Brendan at Celtic he's used to dealing with young foreign imports... but the likes of Neil Harris and Lee Johnson probably aren't as bothered about getting something out of someone and actually want them to step up and show their worth instead.

Would love to see him get a lower prem move. However given our current options i'm not sure I see much value in us keeping hold of him as a prospect for us. Might be best to just cut ties and let him find a permanent home elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Sounds like another loan is lined up given that we've recalled him rather than being sent back. Wonder how much the loan fee was? 

Loan fee? He was at Cardiff  not Man Utd! We would have been subsidising his wages every week and certainly not have got a loan fee. 

Edited by themightyfin

3 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Loan fee? He was at Cardiff  not Man Utd! We would have been subsidising his wages every week and certainly not have got a loan fee. 

Ok, loan fee not the correct term. However, Cardiff must have paying something. 

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I still think if he can get over his injuries that he has a future in the Premier League. He really does need 5 months somewhere where he can play week in week out. Ideally at a team that tries to play some form of football.

not sure what you've seen in the last year or even two that suggests that

3 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

not sure what you've seen in the last year or even two that suggests that

Based on his time before joining us and at Celtic. He's had a bit of a torrid time with injury's and bad loans. I'll happily write off a player that's given a fair chance and proven not good enough, I'll never write off a player that's not been given a chance or has been injured and unable to get some momentum going.

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

How many centre backs have we signed since coming up? Huth, Benalouane, Maguire, Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic and Fofana of the top of my head. 2 duds out of 7 isn’t a bad record, really.

14/15 - Upson, Huth (loan)

15/16 - Huth, Benalouane

16/17 - Luis Hernandez, Wague (loan)

17/18 - Maguire, Dragovic (loan)

18/19 - Soyuncu, Evans, Benkovic

19/20 - Bennett

20/21 - Fofana

13 signed - would say Upson, Benalouane, Hernandez, Wague, Bennett and now possibly Benkovic have been duds

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

14/15 - Upson, Huth (loan)

15/16 - Huth, Benalouane

16/17 - Luis Hernandez, Wague (loan)

17/18 - Maguire, Dragovic (loan)

18/19 - Soyuncu, Evans, Benkovic

19/20 - Bennett

20/21 - Fofana

13 signed - would say Upson, Benalouane, Hernandez, Wague, Bennett and now possibly Benkovic have been duds

You could argue Benalouane wasn't a complete dud, he performed well in several big games, the CL ones included. Just was a bit of a loose cannon at times. 

And we signed Hernandez on a free, before selling him for a nominal fee, may have made a small profit there.