Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ktfox59

True legends of the club.

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Re: the mixed views on Brian Little.

He helped regenerate the club after years of filth, gave us some pride back, players (often limited) grafted for the shirt, three trips to Wembley, took us into the promised land.

Yeah there was too much faff over how he left (not all his doing btw) but you won't meet many nicer blokes in football.

Good points. Remember this is a man who played with two midfielders against a “big spending” Derby team in the 93/94 play off. We had Ormondroyd playing right side of a front three! 

He did a good job here on a limited budget. His competitors at the time were loaded. Jack Walkers Blackburn, Derby, Forest and even Palace. We mixed it with them as true underdogs. 

His decision to leave for Villa mid-season hurt but in hindsight, it was a move he couldn’t turn down. They were far bigger then us back then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ceredigion said:

He didn't just leave for Villa because they were bigger than us in 1994. Villa was the only club he ever played. He joined them as a 16 year old and played for them until his career was ended by injury. Brian did a brilliant job for us while he was here and it was a great pity that it ended in acrimony. I was at the game a few weeks later when Villa game to Filbert Street and I was saddened by so many supporters holding up Judas signs. We looked bad then, not him. Managers and players leave clubs all the time and Brian's reasons for his decision then were more understandable than most.

Exactly.

I still remember the Radio Leicester broadcast just before he left. I think his last game was at Filbert Street. Nev Foulger mentioned how Brian was walking around Filbert Street and ended up sitting in the empty Carling Stand by himself at the end of the game. 

He did a good job here and as a kid growing up at the time, he was the first manager I can remember really being proud of. 

• Like 4

Brian Little was my first manager. Him leaving bloody stung at the time (I still have a team poster with his face scratched out), but you couldn’t begrudge him the move in hindsight. Gutted he took Draper and Joachim with him though.

IIRC, he spent less time managing them than John Gregory did, which was bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Brian Little was my first manager. Him leaving bloody stung at the time (I still have a team poster with his face scratched out), but you couldn’t begrudge him the move in hindsight. Gutted he took Draper and Joachim with him though.

IIRC, he spent less time managing them than John Gregory did, which was bizarre. 

I  didn't;t care about losing Draper. He flattered to deceive. But Joachim looked like the next Maradona in 92/93. Never understood what went wrong there.

44 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Good points. Remember this is a man who played with two midfielders against a “big spending” Derby team in the 93/94 play off. We had Ormondroyd playing right side of a front three! 

He did a good job here on a limited budget. His competitors at the time were loaded. Jack Walkers Blackburn, Derby, Forest and even Palace. We mixed it with them as true underdogs. 

His decision to leave for Villa mid-season hurt but in hindsight, it was a move he couldn’t turn down. They were far bigger then us back then.

I never quite understood why we were considered underdogs in the Derby play off final, aside from the injuries we had on the day.

The media portrayed Derby as if they were some flamboyant total football team and we were just plodders.  In terms of style that might be true, but we finished 4th that year and Derby finished 6th yet we were portrayed as lambs to the slaughter. 

Edited by murphy

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

The photos you put up to refute my claim that Brian Little never made any duff signings were of Brian Carey and Franz Carr. Neither were duff signings in my opinion. Franz Carr was a free signing who was brought in to see if he could still cut it and he couldn't and then left. You can't chant ''What a waste of money'' at a free signing. As for Brian Carey, he was a Man U reject bought for around £300, 000 in 1994 as the club prepared to re-enter the top flight for the first time in 7 years. Now 300 grand was more in 1994 than it is now but Carey did go on to play a part in the 1995/6 promotion campaign. I think Carey at his peak was better player than Harry Maguire.

Scarey Carey never hit any kind of a peak.  He would get my vote as the worst centre half that I have ever seen play for us and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Maguire.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

I never quite understood why we were considered underdogs in the Derby play off final, aside from the injuries we had on the day.

The media portrayed Derby as if they were some flamboyant total football team and we were just plodders.  In terms of style that might be true, but we finished 4th that year and Derby finished 6th yet we were portrayed as lambs to the slaughter. 

I think their side were seen to have massively underachieved. A few of their players went on to play in the premier league. In those days, they were seen as big spenders. As far as the media were concerned, we only had one superstar and that was Joachim. Who, in my opinion was better then anyone they had. Actually, only Collymore at Forest and Armstrong at Palace could be considered better then him. From what I remember, the general opinion of ITV Big Match Live was Palace, Forest and Derby had the names. Tranmere had Aldridge who was a frigging goal machine. Us and Milwall (who finished third) were seen as the grafters. 

Man, all this talk of the 93/94 season is bringing back great memories. I might spend my Friday morning watching the season review on YouTube. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 19:26, Line-X said:

Omitted Weller due to the albeit unsubstantiated allegations surrounding him; Walshy on account of the David Geddes incident and Kasper on account of his distribution :P, Wes was frankly an oversight on my part.

Walshy was the first name that came to mind. I had forgotten about breaking Dave Geddis’s jaw though. I think I was standing in Pen 2. Everybody saw it, horrible site.

Guest bss9401

I think Steve Lynex deserves place in his own right.

200+ appearances, 50+ goals. 

Promotions, top tier appearances and goals. Part of the legendary 50+ goals a season front three of that era. Lynex could beat players, score goals from open play, cross fantastically and was a quality penalty taker. Never shirked from defensive duties either.

A true cult hero who should be a recognised club legend.

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Gillies should be our number one. Was a player, captain, coach and our longest serving manager as well as the first to win a major trophy with us. 

He also got to two FA cup finals and another league cup final. The most overlooked person in our history, without question. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Brian Little played all his football at Villa. Cult hero there. Really can't blame him for that. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Farley said:

What’s people’s thoughts on Matty Fryatt. Valuable member of our team during some of the clubs darkest years, certainly not the best we’ve had but a key figure in my opinion. 

Not anywhere near this thread for me. Good player and Like you say key, shame about his injuries 

23 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

He also got to two FA cup finals and another league cup final. The most overlooked person in our history, without question. 

And he was appalling treated by the club. He truly was a great man and one we should be proud of.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2020 at 23:45, Foxaholic ME said:

What about real old timers Arthur Chandler  Arthur Rowley Sep Smith  I wonder how Vardeys record compares with the first two

Correct we can ignore players of the past, Sep Smith is our longest serving player ever 1929-1949 and  also we was the only club he played for.

Is there any other Leicester players, who played for us and nobody else?

On 27/10/2020 at 22:55, Sampson said:

Lived through the Bloomfield era and MON era. But most of them come from the last 5-10 years if we're honest.

People forgot about the bad performances with time and forget about any baggage players had off the field (e.g. Shilton was just about the most hated ex-Leicester player ever in the late 70s/early 80s when he was at Forest and his extra-marital affairs where in the newspapers, but that has faded now) and romanticise pretty inconsistent mid-table players by just remembering their best games over say, the team, which finished 5th last season.

The 2015-16 and 2019-present teams have been our best.

Even the Puel team which we all found frustrating was better than Bloomfield's or MON's team at their peaks really.

People have things they don't like about Mahrez now, but that will be forgotten in about 15 years for example - and, as someone who watched Weller plenty, Mahrez was the much better player - people just remember Weller's good games and good moments in time now. 

Matt Elliott, Graham Cross and Steve Walsh also used to have plenty of stinkers a season which get forgotten and conceded a lot more goals than our current crop and their peaks were not as high as Wes Morgan's, Robert Huth's, Jonny Evans' or Caglar Soyuncu's have been in recent years if we're also honest. Though they obviously had the longevity which only Wes of those 4 has had.

Vardy is unquestionably the best and most iconic player I've seen in a Leicester shirt. Never known a player who is so idolised by the support and who has won us so many games of football and given us so many iconic moments.

Mahrez, Morgan, King and Schmeichel are the other players you'd 100% put in that list from recent years.

Players like Albrighton, Simpson, Huth, Ndidi, Ricardo, Okazaki and Fuchs should probably be considered there too now. 

Maddison, Evans, Soyuncu and Tielemans almost certainly will be as well after another season or two if they keep it up. Barnes and Praet have definite potential to be if they can kick on as they have the ability but just need to show it more consitently.

Kante and Cambiasso if you can be on a single season.

Then going back players like Walsh, Izzet, Elliott, Lineker, Smith (who I see people slate all the time here for his commentary?), Wallington, Cross, Shilton, Nish, Weller, Worthington, Glover.

I'm sure players like Gibson, Banks, Rowley, Chandler etc. before that should be up there too.

When you mention Kante, he is exactly the kind of player i would never want to be legend status. Yes he was part of the premier winning squad, as was Danny Drinkwater and Ryhad Mahrez. All 3 used the club as a stepping stone to further careers. Mahrez will tell the world he wasted 2 or 3yrs at leicester after we won the title. Drinkwater, in my eyes feigning injury to seal a move to chelsea, then posts on twitter his comment and video of him running round the pitch at chelsea. Finall. Kante. We had barely lifted the trophy and he wanted out was planning a move weeks after. Judge that with vardy who decided to pledge in the end, his career with leicester. So for me. Not every player deservers legendary at leicester from the premiership winning team