Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ktfox59

True legends of the club.

We all have different legends depending on who was at the club, particularly in our respective formation years. It's difficult to compare and quantify - it's a bit like the recurring GOAT debates and trying to compare Messi to Pele. There is obviously no doubt owners, players, managers connected to our title win will always be viewed as legends for being the first to reach the pinnacle.

9 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Nah he's an arrogant git! Never says anything good about us when he's being a pundit. To be a legend you need to love this club! He never did. 

Whenever I read his interviews he talks highly of the club. Also I did meet him once, at Filbert Street, and he was very welcoming. I can't say a bad word about him. Legend.

Like Geoff said too, I remember being at that Millwall game when he scored so early on and didn't celebrate.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Good topic. There's loads and plenty to debate, but the standouts for the "legends amongst legends" surely have to have experienced some kind of longer term commitment with us, rather than a season or two (no matter how great). 

Lineker

Vardy

Morgan

King

Walsh 

Pearson 

O'Neill 

Vichai and Top 

41 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Leicester Vs Man City December 2015. We're top of the league. He's more concerned about his seat. 

Listen to the way he talks to the commentary team. 

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/steve-claridge-proves-footballs-grumpiest-7094568

This is a weird little obsession that tells you nothing. Hates the club? Doesn’t sound like it to me...

1 hour ago, Foxhateram said:

Leicester Vs Man City December 2015. We're top of the league. He's more concerned about his seat. 

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/steve-claridge-proves-footballs-grumpiest-7094568

He's cold, uncomfortable and slightly grumpy. Big bloody deal. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Whenever I read his interviews he talks highly of the club. Also I did meet him once, at Filbert Street, and he was very welcoming. I can't say a bad word about him. Legend.

Like Geoff said too, I remember being at that Millwall game when he scored so early on and didn't celebrate.

That was one of the weirdest goals I've ever seen. The away corner was filled with City fans as Millwall were not allowed in following a tit-4-tat after they banned us from the Den. 30,000 City fans hurling dogs abuse at the returning little toe-rag and before we know it our ex-hero puts them 1 up in front of the Kop. Silence and you could hear the Millwall players voices all the way from the Lineker Stand. We did score 4 though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Whenever I've been fortunate enough to be in his company, he always waxes lyrical about his time with us and even said he wished he'd been a bit more patient and stayed longer.

Also, when he came back with Millwall, he scored in the first minute and pretty much refused to celebrate the goal.

He scored the goal which got us up to the big time (one of the most dramatic goals in our history, to that point at least) and the goal which won us the first major trophy most of us had seen. Always deserves respect.

I’ve had a few meetings with super Stevie claridge since he left . And met him when he came back as a pundit. Was always very complimentary about his time at Leicester and how the fans treated him . Also said he wished he had stayed longer. Ran till his socks dropped round his ankles.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Whenever I've been fortunate enough to be in his company, he always waxes lyrical about his time with us and even said he wished he'd been a bit more patient and stayed longer.

Also, when he came back with Millwall, he scored in the first minute and pretty much refused to celebrate the goal.

He scored the goal which got us up to the big time (one of the most dramatic goals in our history, to that point at least) and the goal which won us the first major trophy most of us had seen. Always deserves respect.

Probably didn't know where to celebrate given the away end was full of schoolkids with cheap tickets (me included) because Millwall were banned. lol

Remember how eerie it was when that goal went in. Was brilliant smashing them after that start.

On 27/10/2020 at 19:02, Line-X said:

Primarily: Vichai, Vards, Birch, Gilles, O'Neil, Claudio, Nigel, Wortho, Glover, Gibson, Stringy, Banks (although more synonymous with Stoke), Rowley, Chandler, Heskey, Lineker and David Rennie :ph34r: 

Nigel Worthington? Didn't think he did that much.

What about Brian Little, he revived the club in the early 90's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Nigel Worthington? Didn't think he did that much.

Er yeah, I think you missed the comma between 'Nige' and 'Wortho'

6 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

What about Brian Little, he revived the club in the early 90's.

And then promptly ****ed off to Villa in a particularly underhand manner. Let's face it, although Brian Little polished shite to "revive" Leicester, in the process we assumed Watford's mantle as masters of long ball football. Other than Joachm's brief flash of brilliance, it was mostly ugly and 'reviving' the club after the comatose inducing football of Pleat wasn't exactly hard. 

11 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Amazing you can hear the sheer loathing for us just in this 1 minute clip about the seating arrangements

Do you get violent when people "look at you funny"?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

You're being a bit unfair on Brian I think. 

Perhaps I am. Lowest ever point is debatable though. 

When you think of the 20 years which preceded his arrival at the club, his was easily the best time since the teams of the 1960s 

Disagree.

he never really made any duff signings 

unnamed.jpg.3c79b3b8726945bed98bf0781ce16dc2.jpgCEbjv62WMAACol9.jpg.52326dfc302c53f5340da68c931611da.jpg

1 minute ago, fox in the sox said:

The previous season we escaped from going into tier 2 for the first time on the last day.

I think you mean Tier 3 - the old third division. 

In terms of 'lowest ever point' if he was referring to league position then yes that is correct. I interpreted it to mean, lowest ever ebb. But as I said, the Pleat era was a complete shit stain on our history - of course Brian Little was going to be a vast improvement. Club legend, no. 

34 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I think you mean Tier 3 - the old third division. 

In terms of 'lowest ever point' if he was referring to league position then yes that is correct. I interpreted it to mean, lowest ever ebb. But as I said, the Pleat era was a complete shit stain on our history - of course Brian Little was going to be a vast improvement. Club legend, no. 

The photos you put up to refute my claim that Brian Little never made any duff signings were of Brian Carey and Franz Carr. Neither were duff signings in my opinion. Franz Carr was a free signing who was brought in to see if he could still cut it and he couldn't and then left. You can't chant ''What a waste of money'' at a free signing. As for Brian Carey, he was a Man U reject bought for around £300, 000 in 1994 as the club prepared to re-enter the top flight for the first time in 7 years. Now 300 grand was more in 1994 than it is now but Carey did go on to play a part in the 1995/6 promotion campaign. I think Carey at his peak was better player than Harry Maguire.

Re: the mixed views on Brian Little.

He helped regenerate the club after years of filth, gave us some pride back, players (often limited) grafted for the shirt, three trips to Wembley, took us into the promised land.

Yeah there was too much faff over how he left (not all his doing btw) but you won't meet many nicer blokes in football.

• Like 4

On 27/10/2020 at 22:55, Sampson said:

Lived through the Bloomfield era and MON era. But most of them come from the last 5-10 years if we're honest.

People forgot about the bad performances with time and forget about any baggage players had off the field (e.g. Shilton was just about the most hated ex-Leicester player ever in the late 70s/early 80s when he was at Forest and his extra-marital affairs where in the newspapers, but that has faded now) and romanticise pretty inconsistent mid-table players by just remembering their best games over say, the team, which finished 5th last season.

The 2015-16 and 2019-present teams have been our best.

Even the Puel team which we all found frustrating was better than Bloomfield's or MON's team at their peaks really.

People have things they don't like about Mahrez now, but that will be forgotten in about 15 years for example - and, as someone who watched Weller plenty, Mahrez was the much better player - people just remember Weller's good games and good moments in time now. 

Matt Elliott, Graham Cross and Steve Walsh also used to have plenty of stinkers a season which get forgotten and conceded a lot more goals than our current crop and their peaks were not as high as Wes Morgan's, Robert Huth's, Jonny Evans' or Caglar Soyuncu's have been in recent years if we're also honest. Though they obviously had the longevity which only Wes of those 4 has had.

Vardy is unquestionably the best and most iconic player I've seen in a Leicester shirt. Never known a player who is so idolised by the support and who has won us so many games of football and given us so many iconic moments.

Mahrez, Morgan, King and Schmeichel are the other players you'd 100% put in that list from recent years.

Players like Albrighton, Simpson, Huth, Ndidi, Ricardo, Okazaki and Fuchs should probably be considered there too now. 

Maddison, Evans, Soyuncu and Tielemans almost certainly will be as well after another season or two if they keep it up. Barnes and Praet have definite potential to be if they can kick on as they have the ability but just need to show it more consitently.

Kante and Cambiasso if you can be on a single season.

Then going back players like Walsh, Izzet, Elliott, Lineker, Smith (who I see people slate all the time here for his commentary?), Wallington, Cross, Shilton, Nish, Weller, Worthington, Glover.

I'm sure players like Gibson, Banks, Rowley, Chandler etc. before that should be up there too.

Too right, never trust the memory bank because it will always be "coloured" basically with rose tinted specs at certain times, depending on certain individual's viewpoints!