Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ktfox59

True legends of the club.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Well I'm probably going to get laughed at here but Susan Whelan. As the CEO of our club she's overseen the most succesful period in the club's history, managed Vichai's death with a great deal of management skill and is one of the few women to succeed at the top level in this sport.

I've never met her and don't really know much about her but I like the way she goes about her  job quietly and without the need to court mainstream media like Karen Brady.

Quite possibly one of the most important "assets" we have and I think she will go down in the club's history as one of the most important of our off-field characters.

Efficient businessperson? Yes. Club legend? Behave.

Modern football's even more screwed than I thought if supporters are going to start affording that status to beancounters instead of goalscorers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’d add Gary Mills to the list. Played well over a hundred games. Player of the season a few times. Played in two play off finals, captain in one of them. Missed the 93/94 play off final due to injury but still led us out. 

What about real old timers Arthur Chandler  Arthur Rowley Sep Smith  I wonder how Vardeys record compares with the first two

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

What about real old timers Arthur Chandler  Arthur Rowley Sep Smith  I wonder how Vardeys record compares with the first two

None of us will ever know how they compare in the flesh.

Records? Depends whether Dixie Dean is the greatest striker in English history I suppose. 

Hopefully, wherever he features in the record books, people will spell Vardy’s name properly...

8 hours ago, onekeithweller said:

That could be.... the winner from Claridge. It is!!

Page 3 until someone mentioned him. Claridge always gets overlooked!

A goal in a cup final and a play off final. Legend, without doubt.

• Like 1

Big Matty Elliott. 

Apparently smoked a pack of cigarettes the evening before a game. He used to live near me in North Leicestershire when his children were younger. Often saw him driving around tight country roads in a massive Hummer. 

Was a decent player on the pitch too. 

Ledge.

image.png.af9ed8cd733225f4dccbce2eb5ccb2d1.png

12 hours ago, Sampson said:

Thesis

I tend to believe that a player's performance or talent on the pitch is not the only thing that contributes to legend status. Sometimes the stories that the mere thought of a player conjure up grant an epic otherness. For example, remember Sol Bamba marauding sprints up the pitch from defence? Absolute lad.

Edited by ScrumpyJack

2 hours ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Big Matty Elliott. 

Apparently smoked a pack of cigarettes the evening before a game. He used to live near me in North Leicestershire when his children were younger. Often saw him driving around tight country roads in a massive Hummer. 

Was a decent player on the pitch too. 

Ledge.

image.png.af9ed8cd733225f4dccbce2eb5ccb2d1.png

I tend to believe that a player's performance or talent on the pitch is not the only thing that contributes to legend status. Sometimes the stories that the mere thought of a player conjure up grant an epic otherness. For example, remember Sol Bamba marauding sprints up the pitch from defence? Absolute lad.

Matty is 100% a legend to me. I still bump into him from time to time in and around Desford and he’s always got tome for a chat and a pint. Still smokes like a chimney too but he was the first defender I’d ever watched that could actually play football. I remember his debut where he was demanding the ball off the midfield to spread passes around and I thought it was like us signing Maldini!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

Always thought the Birch is a bit of a hanger on myself.

His on pitch stuff is a bit shit now and had it's day. Off the pitch he represents the club well and does a hell of a lot of work going to functions, funerals etc.

On 27/10/2020 at 17:18, gerrytaggart said:

His actions led to the most dramatic and memerable year in sporting history.  True club legend. 

We’ve had a few arseholes at our club but this is the most impactful. Cleanest and all...

13 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Page 3 until someone mentioned him. Claridge always gets overlooked!

A goal in a cup final and a play off final. Legend, without doubt.

Nah he's an arrogant git! Never says anything good about us when he's being a pundit. To be a legend you need to love this club! He never did.