Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

50 minutes ago, urban fox said:

why is everyone so keen to loan him out? Yes he is young but he has already shown that he can cut it. If you are good enough, you are old enough as the old adage says.

He has played several PL and EL games, even weighing in with his first goal. 

Many were saying that JJ was not good enough and needed time to develop, but due to circumstances he got thrown in at the deep end and did his developing on the job so to speak, to the point where, until his injury he was a serious contender for player of the season. A decent run in the side shows what a player can do. Look at Nacho, Little Wes as well as JJ for proof of that.

Give him his chance and then judge.

Everyone?

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Everyone?

Basically we can't afford to loan him , if we had to recall him after a couple of months it would look silly. What we don't want to do is fork out 20 million for another LB we almost certainly won't need.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Chilwell and Barnes both benefitted from loans. I don't know why people find it so hard to understand the positives. 

Chilwell played 8 games on loan aged 18 and then came back and was an unused sub a lot for a year or so. It wasn't until Puel came in that he played more than what Thomas is doing for us.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Basically we can't afford to loan him , if we had to recall him after a couple of months it would look silly. What we don't want to do is fork out 20 million for another LB we almost certainly won't need.

Exactly. If we have an over abundance of players in a particular position, then loan the young players, like we did with Chilwell and Barnes. With JJ injured and Fuchs not featuring, Thomas is the only out and out LB we have at the club. 

27 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Chilwell and Barnes both benefitted from loans. I don't know why people find it so hard to understand the positives. 

Basically we are only ever going to loan out young players to see how they cope with "proper " football and players we are looking to get rid of . 

Due to all our injuries he's to far along in his progress to even consider loaning out . 

• Like 1

Considering how much better to are with Castagne or Ricardo on the right and him on the left i would guess that he'll be starting quite a few games in the run in.

There's no reason he can't progress here.

• Like 1

Dependant on where we finish, we're going to need him in the squad regardless. Yes he needs games, and we've got cover there, cos we have an abundance of flexible wingbacks when all fully fit. However no natural LB, and Fuchs off, one injury and we're short. We're not going to the market for additional cover, as we've got other areas to focus on. Importantly addressing the right wing and getting in a striker, both not going to be cheap.

36 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Basically we are only ever going to loan out young players to see how they cope with "proper " football and players we are looking to get rid of . 

Due to all our injuries he's to far along in his progress to even consider loaning out . 

I would say we loan out young players to gain experience, make their mistakes and learn from them at other clubs. 

Im not saying he will or should be loaned out but some people seem to find the idea baffling. 

9 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Dependant on where we finish, we're going to need him in the squad regardless. Yes he needs games, and we've got cover there, cos we have an abundance of flexible wingbacks when all fully fit. However no natural LB, and Fuchs off, one injury and we're short. We're not going to the market for additional cover, as we've got other areas to focus on. Importantly addressing the right wing and getting in a striker, both not going to be cheap.

Exactly. With the need for a large squad (of quality players), next season he could play a lot of games. Even if it’s against the lesser sides in the league, and plenty of cup games. He would benefit from that as much as a loan IMO. Plus Rodgers can remain hands on with him, as well as Thomas continuing to learn to play how we play.

A loan wouldn’t necessarily be a huge negative, but it’s definitely not a necessity.

Let’s not forget, loans can turn sour and hinder a player’s development too. Is that a risk we need to take with Thomas?

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I would say we loan out young players to gain experience, make their mistakes and learn from them at other clubs. 

Im not saying he will or should be loaned out but some people seem to find the idea baffling. 

we find the idea of loaning out a player that is already featuring a lot for our team baffling not loaning out a young player, no one was baffled by KDH being loaned out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

we find the idea of loaning out a player that is already featuring a lot for our team baffling not loaning out a young player, no one was baffled by KDH being loaned out

It is not the principle as such , Joe Willock has just done us a favour with Newcastle , its where. Birmingham City would be no good. KDH has no Leicester first team experience so this loan made real sense.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

He's made  10 appearances this season including the cup. Fair enough we needed him for cover this season. Next season he needs to be playing most weeks. It wouldn't be fair to him to only play 10 games then. 

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He's made  10 appearances this season including the cup. Fair enough we needed him for cover this season. Next season he needs to be playing most weeks. It wouldn't be fair to him to only play 10 games then. 

he's made 18 appearances actually with for a 19 year old left back is plenty

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He's made more than 10 appearances? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

he's made 18 appearances actually with for a 19 year old left back is plenty

You're right I missed the europa league games. I still think he'd be better playing 30 odd games next season on loan. 

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You're right I missed the europa league games. I still think he'd be better playing 30 odd games next season on loan. 

not if the standard isn't high enough to challenge him, he is already better than the championship

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Would be good for him to get that many games under his belt but I might argue that he'd be better off playing fewer games here but at a higher level, all the while learning from Rodgers, working alongside the likes of Ricardo and taking advantage of our new facilities. If we do get Europe again then there'll be plenty of games to go around and I'd sooner give those opportunities to him than someone like Bertrand.

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

Would be good for him to get that many games under his belt but I might argue that he'd be better off playing fewer games here but at a higher level, all the while learning from Rodgers, working alongside the likes of Ricardo and taking advantage of our new facilities. If we do get Europe again then there'll be plenty of games to go around and I'd sooner give those opportunities to him than someone like Bertrand.

It could be the champions league next season, are we going to risk him in those games? 

Just now, Webbo said:

It could be the champions league next season, are we going to risk him in those games? 

Maybe, depends who they're against I suppose. My point isn't that we'll necessarily be throwing him into the Champions League, more that we'll (hopefully) be competing on four fronts and therefore there will be ample opportunities for players like him to play and develop, whether that's in the league, Europe or the domestic cups.