Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

9 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Agree about TC. Wonder what the issue is? Worried about his last two injuries? He’s not looked himself at all.

Don’t think he’s looked the same since his first injury tbh 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ball-boy-first-team--5272042

From ball boy to first team – Leicester City star in 'shock' at playing so many games
The 19-year-old left-back has started 11 games in the Premier League and Europa League this season, scoring his first senior goal for the club in a 3-3 draw at Braga

ByJordan Blackwell
14:01, 7 APR 2021

Young Leicester City left-back Luke Thomas is aiming to kick on after overcoming the shock of playing so many games.

The Syston-born teenager was thrust into the limelight amid City’s injury problems at the end of last season, and has retained his spot in the first-team squad this year, starting 11 matches across the Premier League and Europa League.

It’s been a sharp rise for Thomas who over the course of 13 years has gone from season-ticket holder to ball boy to academy prospect to first-team star, and he is still coming to terms with the number of opportunities he has been given.

He produced excellent performances in away wins at Leeds and Aston Villa while he scored his first goal for the club in a dramatic 3-3 draw at Braga in the Europa League.

The highlight remains the day of his breakthrough though, his senior debut against Sheffield United at the end of last season.

“It was probably the best moment of my career so far,” Thomas told City’s matchday programme. “When you make your debut there’s no better feeling to be honest.

“At the time I was really nervous but since then I’ve built into the group and played a lot more games than I was expecting to.

“It was a shock to the system at the time but it was really good for me, and thankfully I’ve been able to get more game-time since then.

“The manager likes to give young players a chance and that’s why my opportunity came. He gave me the chance to come up and train and when I showed him the qualities I have, he spoke to me about coming into the team.

“I remember when he told me I was playing the next day; that was a shock! But that’s what he’s like. He always wants to give young players a chance and for every academy player out there, that’s what you want.

“It has been an unbelievable experience so far.

“Considering it’s my first full season with the team, the manager has given me so many opportunities to play.

"All I want to do is play football and get as many games as possible, so it has been brilliant so far.

“Game-time can only be a good thing for my development and I feel like I’m getting better each week.”

Since a defeat to Arsenal in February where Thomas struggled in a battle with Nicolas Pepe, the teenager has been an unused substitute, with Timothy Castagne, Ricardo Pereira, and Marc Albrighton taking on the full-back or wing-back roles.

He’s been working on his game in training, and was able to focus on his development even more over the recent international break, when the lack of games and a smaller training group allowed greater one-to-one time with the coaches.

“We’ve had a small group of about 12 of us so that has been great for me personally, because I’ve been able to work on my game with the coaches,” he said.

“When there are less players to cover, the coaches can spend more time with you individually which obviously means you can take on more information and keep improving. I’ve found it really beneficial.

“There are always things you can improve on, no matter how experienced you are. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses so it’s important you understand them and make improvements where you can.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and Chris (Davies, assistant manager) about what I can improve on.

“With lots of players away on international duty I was able to work on some different things. For instance I feel that my off-the-ball movement can be better, so I’ve worked on that.

“I’ve spent some time working on crossing after training as well, and like I said earlier, with most of the lads away and no games on, there was more time to do that.

“I’ll keep on working hard because I’m always keen to improve in any way I can.”

Wow the lads from Syston who knew :ph34r:

In seriousness great interview, it’s so good to have fans playing for the club you can always sense the passion and they’re less likely to leave in the future. Hopefully will go on to have an outstanding career for us.

44 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

"For instance i feel like my off the ball movement can be better, so ive worked on that"

Is it just me or is his off the ball movement excellent, especially for his age? I feel like he should be spending extra time on his defensive game such as dealing with long balls rather than improving a part of his game that's already good. I guess the coaches are more qualified to tell him what to improve on so i might be completely wrong.

Strengthen from a position of strength. He's got a decent cross on him as well, noticeably better than Chilwell, for example, and he's been working on that as well. Keep getting better. Clearly his attitude is absolutely spot on.

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Agree about TC. Wonder what the issue is? Worried about his last two injuries? He’s not looked himself at all.

...if I recall, when he came he was looking to nail down a certain position!!!

He wanted to stop the chopping and changing he previously had at his last club and as Ricardo was still out due to injury he slotted in at Right Back. This position suits him and I am sure he is comfortable in this role as opposed to playing on the left.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Castagne's form of late has me wondering how close Thomas is to a recall, I don't think Castagne has had a "good" game on our left yet, never more than solid for me

He's still a better defender then Thomas, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been rinsed by Pepe like Luke did.

Luke has time on he's side, but still has a lot to learn. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Castagne's form of late has me wondering how close Thomas is to a recall, I don't think Castagne has had a "good" game on our left yet, never more than solid for me

Yep not the same player compared to on the right flank. He’s much more comfortable overlapping on the right 

• Like 1

Both Castagne and Ricardo are much better as fullbacks than wing backs.  The 5 at the back system is largely responsible for any non-health related issues with their form.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned, Castagne is definitely better on the right but never has a bad game on the left. He's not like a Justin or Chilwell who will kick and run, and needs a partner out there. So many times he doesn't have a forward pass on unless it's down the line for a Vardy run.

I think we do miss a left footed option so wouldn't be against Thomas coming in against one of the weaker sides with Castagne moving back to the right 

We do need to decide this summer whether we trust Thomas or not. If not, get him out on loan for the season to iron out his game. But that's probably unlikely as we'd then have to use some budget to sign cover.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Both Castagne and Ricardo are much better as fullbacks than wing banks.  The 5 at the back system is largely responsible for any non-health related issues with their form.

Yep when we play 4 at the back and they play with wingers rather than being the wingers - they are way more dynamic.

To incorporate Nacho in a second striker role and play Madders in a forward creative position and have width and four at the back? Doesn’t look like we can accommodate all these things...

Edited by Nick

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

Yep when we play 4 at the back and they play with wingers rather than being the wingers - they are way more dynamic.

To incorporate Nacho in a second striker role and play Madders in a sort of 10 too we are going to end up going four four ****ing two. 

😆

I don't think that's necessarily a terrible option. But maybe getting our two fullbacks in their best positions means having to choose one or the other between Maddison and Kelechi against some opposition.

Edited by Deeg67

11 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Likeable lad, think he’s got real potential. next year will be very interesting 

I'm surprised Thomas has been dropped like a hot potato. I think he's pretty adept defensively, and can think of only one game where his defensive ability was taxed, but he will only learn and improve (and probably very quickly) from that. He's the most natural LB option we have at the moment and his delivery with left foot makes him potentially more potent than other options when supporting the attack.  It is true, though, that he was at his most effective supporting the attack when in tandem with Barnes - they had developed a great understanding - and that option is not available at the moment, of course.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deep blue said:

I'm surprised Thomas has been dropped like a hot potato. I think he's pretty adept defensively, and can think of only one game where his defensive ability was taxed, but he will only learn and improve (and probably very quickly) from that. He's the most natural LB option we have at the moment and his delivery with left foot makes him potentially more potent than other options when supporting the attack.  It is true, though, that he was at his most effective supporting the attack when in tandem with Barnes - they had developed a great understanding - and that option is not available at the moment, of course.

I think brendan probably just thought after a not particularly good game it’s best to take a step back again and work again from the shadows. I’m convinced he’ll be very good 

6 hours ago, mozartfox said:

JJ will unlikely be available until the latter part of 2021. The other 2 you mention (instead of Thomas) will weaken the squad, this at time when we are trying to strengthen.

well I wasn't accounting for signings being made Thomas is clearly 4th choice for us, even when Ricardo was just out Albrighton played instead of switching Castagne so a loan would seem really likely

• 2 weeks later...