Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

for the Love of me, I cant see when Finding a young talented, potential player, whos  played damn well in all his games...We  should believe a loan is better

than Bench,+ at least 12-20 game Involvement across those 4 competitions for the First team....Bit

Mistakes & errors,Not quite in sync  (off-field fan expectations)  are Part of learning, and the game...

I mean ffs...all The above mentioned, Plus Fofana, Experienced Evans, & Soyuncu, have this side of the season made clangers, played opp-onside...

Too much over-analysing, and Petty seeking out mistakes....One should look at his around game...and see this Boy has got it...!!

And will be needed....Adding to a small list of Type of players we Dont Need to bring in...!!!

Leaves more monies for Striker, CB and possible,across the board fringe cover...

You said it! Why, oh why, are some people on this Forum so interested in getting rid of the guy as soon as he's made an appearance for the team. Sell him and make a quick buck - for what? Loan him out to a lower league club - why? Sheer old-style Leicester supporter thinking - my god, no wonder Londoners call us 'northern'. Some of us have mindsets that wouldn't be out of place in Manchester or Leeds :D.

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Justin,Albrighton,Ricardo,Castagna,Barnes....A Good Mixture of FB & WB....

Then we add Thomas....

We have experienced atrocious injuries,Covid-bubbles, that wont go away, Europe (CL) has still problems for now over 14 months.....

We have next season....4 competitions to cover...One most likely being the CL...

Its also Good for a manager when he has choices for , rotation, Lack of form, simple competion..!! , but also so he can tinker/experiment with proven players..

This is a Unique & First period for us....where we become fancied across all Fronts, if Not to win ( though thats always the target)

but to challenge & compete at an aspiring higher level....

for the Love of me, I cant see when Finding a young talented, potential player, whos  played damn well in all his games...We  should believe a loan is better

than Bench,+ at least 12-20 game Involvement across those 4 competitions for the First team....Bit

Mistakes & errors,Not quite in sync  (off-field fan expectations)  are Part of learning, and the game...

I mean ffs...all The above mentioned, Plus Fofana, Experienced Evans, & Soyuncu, have this side of the season made clangers, played opp-onside...

Too much over-analysing, and Petty seeking out mistakes....One should look at his around game...and see this Boy has got it...!!

And will be needed....Adding to a small list of Type of players we Dont Need to bring in...!!!

Leaves more monies for Striker, CB and possible,across the board fringe cover...

All of what you says makes sense but for me you have to factor in the players development, also.

when we loaned out Barnes, he advanced so much that he was like a different player when he came back. He could have stayed and played sporadically but I don’t think he would have advanced so quickly.

there’s something about regular, consecutive first team games that helps young players to rapidly progress.

we’ve done it before, so I wouldn’t  be surprised  if we sent Luke out on loan for a year and brought in an experienced old head who’d be happy with 15 starts  and a season on the bench.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MPH said:

All of what you says makes sense but for me you have to factor in the players development, also.

when we loaned out Barnes, he advanced so much that he was like a different player when he came back. He could have stayed and played sporadically but I don’t think he would have advanced so quickly.

there’s something about regular, consecutive first team games that helps young players to rapidly progress.

we’ve done it before, so I wouldn’t  be surprised  if we sent Luke out on loan for a year and brought in an experienced old head who’d be happy with 15 starts  and a season on the bench.

I would remind you that Harvey took a fair amount of stick from some on here and a few had written him off completely after he came back. He improved quickly recently by playing against class defenders.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MPH said:

Barnes wasn't as ready for the Premier League, went to one of the best Championship teams, had great team mates, a good manager who wanted to play him, and he was changing position from CAM to winger. We can't assume Luke has the same circumstances.

A Championship loan would mean he needs to later adjust to the Premier League. He may get fewer games at this level but they'll better aide his development. Even with a Premier League club, his development may be better with our crop of players playing better football. I don't think it's cut and dry. It depends on the loan team, the position, his team mates and his developmental needs.

Also, who do you want Luke to learn from? Fuchs, Ricardo, Castange and Justin? Or whoever his team mates are in his loanee club? Barnes, for example, was probably better of learning at West Brom than with us a few season ago. A loan is sometimes a good idea, but it's not cut and dry.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I would remind you that Harvey took a fair amount of stick from some on here and a few had written him off completely after he came back. He improved quickly recently by playing against class defenders.

And by playing regularly?

fow what it’s worth I’m not suggesting Luke should go to a championship team... think a newly promoted team might take a stab at him and then he’d be playing regularly against the class players

1 minute ago, MPH said:

fow what it’s worth I’m not suggesting Luke should go to a championship team... think a newly promoted team might take a stab at him and then he’d be playing regularly against the class players

Providing we have cover then a loan to a premiership team like Newcastle or Leeds would be fine.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Barnes wasn't as ready for the Premier League, went to one of the best Championship teams, had great team mates, a good manager who wanted to play him, and he was changing position from CAM to winger. We can't assume Luke has the same circumstances.

A Championship loan would mean he needs to later adjust to the Premier League. He may get fewer games at this level but they'll better aide his development. Even with a Premier League club, his development may be better with our crop of players playing better football. I don't think it's cut and dry. It depends on the loan team, the position, his team mates and his developmental needs.

Also, who do you want Luke to learn from? Fuchs, Ricardo, Castange and Justin? Or whoever his team mates are in his loanee club? Barnes, for example, was probably better of learning at West Brom than with us a few season ago. A loan is sometimes a good idea, but it's not cut and dry.

see above. 

but I will say that learning from experienced pros isn’t an adequate substitution for playing regularly... ideally he can get a full season at a lowly prem team  so get both.

34 minutes ago, MPH said:

What if they regularly play dogshit football?

I mean, he'd probably get plenty of minutes with Sheffield United this season but I'm not sure they'd be as good as the minutes he had here, learning from Richardo, Castange, Justin, being instructed by Brendan and training at Seagrave.

If Bren can give him double the minutes next season, I'd rather him stay here and train with some of the league's best full backs. If a decent Premier League team with good full backs want to train one of our youngsters, then sure.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MPH said:

Fair dues...

Another perspective, What ever Rodgers goes with, I wont argue..

But...Ricardo has still to find form, with still questions on his injury Barnes confirmed hes out for the season,

Justin will most likely Need Time to come up to the pace...

Thomas is into the Leicester groove..!!

And lets Not forget playing Damn well, performances not the weakest in the First team...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

....I agree to some degree that players are not all the same and one size does not fit all!!!

Barnes going to WBA was a good move for him, I was in the camp that he should have stayed there for the full season as he was excelling and developing his game. When he came back, he appeared less confident in his own ability and was not getting the games he needed to maintain the level he had gained out on loan. The predominant conclusion on the forum, was that, he would be a great player when he learns to finish, and as soon as he gets his first goal, he will be a revelation. 

If not for our injuries this season, JJ would not have played a great deal and it was his constant inclusion in the matchday eleven which saw him blossom into, for me, the player of the season. Getting regular back to back game time, is what is required and although Luke is training with solid professionals, playing now and again is not helping him and going on loan with a half or full season would be a godsend. JJ would have had a few seasons with regular games on a weekly basis, Luke will benefit greatly from a loan spell.

8 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

I think some people are getting "loan spell" and 'National Service' confused. 

It's like we send them out boys and they come back men.

Take a loan spell, travel the world...go see Luton, Wycombe or Birmingham.

Learn your trade, harness that skill of accepting the 'player of the match' award.

Harvey Barnes, standing proud in the shower "Yeah...I mean the loan spell never hurt me, it did me the world of good, taught me respect and how to listen to my superiors...now pick that soap up Lestyn" 

"it's Iestyn"

"sure, whichever you prefer"

The loan spell works differently for every individual depending where they are in their development (yawn).

Like many have mentioned, we've had incredible success with the academy, but very few players have stepped into such a demanding position at such an important time and made such an instant impact. 

I thought his game on monday was above average with expected mistakes and I think he's holding his own.

I'd love Ricardo to come back and allow Thomas a little less pressure, but he seems to be handling it so well right now. 

I think we need reliability in that left back position when he's filling in and that seems to be what he's doing, not taking too many risks and completing the basics with aplomb. 

For now, let's not be so keen to send him out, instead let's await the day when KDH returns home and tells us his Luton Town stories and how life was much better back then, Horlicks and Woodbines all round, yes please

Considering he was never near the first team before and he's been Luton's star player this season, I don't think he's going to claim it was a bad experience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Learn your trade, harness that skill of accepting the 'player of the match' award.

Harvey Barnes, standing proud in the shower "Yeah...I mean the loan spell never hurt me, it did me the world of good, taught me respect and how to listen to my superiors...now pick that soap up Lestyn" 

"it's Iestyn"

The loan spell works differently for every individual depending where they are in their development (yawn).

Like many have mentioned, we've had incredible success with the academy, but very few players have stepped into such a demanding position at such an important time and made such an instant impact. 

I thought his game on monday was above average with expected mistakes and I think he's holding his own.

I'd love Ricardo to come back and allow Thomas a little less pressure, but he seems to be handling it so well right now. 

I think we need reliability in that left back position when he's filling in and that seems to be what he's doing, not taking too many risks and completing the basics with aplomb. 

For now, let's not be so keen to send him out, instead let's await the day when KDH returns home and tells us his Luton Town stories and how life was much better back then, Horlicks and Woodbines all round, yes please. 

...I would say KDH's loan has made him....!!!

If he had not gone out on loan, no one on this forum, except the regulars who watch the U23s would be talking about him. He has a good skillset, is an intelligent player to a degree but never pushed himself forward to become a leader or putting his head above the parapet. This is not the same U23 player that we are seeing at Luton.

19 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

"it's Iestyn"

For now, let's not be so keen to send him out, instead let's await the day when KDH returns home and tells us his Luton Town stories and how life was much better back then, Horlicks and Woodbines all round, yes please. 

Aye I'm sure KDH would love to have been sat on the bench most of the season rather than getting a full season under his belt lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Considering he was never near the first team before and he's been Luton's star player this season, I don't think he's going to claim it was a bad experience.

He did make the odd appearance off the bench but yes with Denis Praet there he was never going to get any game time. They are very similar players and if Denis stays then KDH , who we must keep, should be loaned to one of newly promoted teams, Watford would be ideal.

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

What if they regularly play dogshit football?

I mean, he'd probably get plenty of minutes with Sheffield United this season but I'm not sure they'd be as good as the minutes he had here, learning from Richardo, Castange, Justin, being instructed by Brendan and training at Seagrave.

If Bren can give him double the minutes next season, I'd rather him stay here and train with some of the league's best full backs. If a decent Premier League team with good full backs want to train one of our youngsters, then sure.

or they could do a Leeds  and be up in 9th.. Sheff United did well in their first season up too.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Fair dues...

Another perspective, What ever Rodgers goes with, I wont argue..

But...Ricardo has still to find form, with still questions on his injury Barnes confirmed hes out for the season,

Justin will most likely Need Time to come up to the pace...

Thomas is into the Leicester groove..!!

And lets Not forget playing Damn well, performances not the weakest in the First team...

I guess I am trying to say that I just don’t want his progress stifled by the return  to form of all the others... he’s doing well, but he isn’t getting in ahead of  an in form riccy and JJ

14 minutes ago, MPH said:

I guess I am trying to say that I just don’t want his progress stifled by the return  to form of all the others... he’s doing well, but he isn’t getting in ahead of  an in form riccy and JJ

We thought that about JJ...   World turns & goes around...:) or One could...:frantics:

13 hours ago, Webbo said:

I only follow our loan players progress, fleetingly, through the thread on here.

It's great to see the loan has worked out well for KDH, hopefully that will mean he gets more games with us next season. 

I agree, only positive stories from him, surely. 

On 27/04/2021 at 08:29, Ric Flair said:

I've read the same dross here as we had to with Harvey Barnes. Trust the process.

We are 3rd in the league and 90% of when he has played for us he has done well. Go and watch the Leeds, Braga home and away, AEK home game and Brentford games again and you'll see some very good performances from him. 

His link up play with Barnes is borderline telepathic, something him and Chilwell sadly struggled with. What's funny is, there was a perception Thomas wasn't defensively good enough to play at left back and needed to be LWB with 3 CB's as protection but now he's supposedly not good enough going forward but good enough defensively and therefore shouldn't play LWB. 

I don't see why he has to play well every game to be classed as good enough and not need a loan move, its moronic.  

Completely agree with this. He reminds me a lot of JJ last season. Learning his trade, building experience, gaining a little confidence but looking somewhat naive at times and tactically lacking which is exactly what you'd expect from a 19 year old breaking into the team.

The key to all of this is game time. We can all see he has ability but he needs to flesh out his experience to learn. Yes he'll make mistakes of course, but look at JJ this season, he was arguably our best full back up until his injury and looked like a completely different player to the one we saw last season. 

People need to be patient and allow player's the time and space to grow. 

I believe Thomas is our future left back option with probably JJ, if he returns from injury well. That future being next season. 

The lad has everything needed except game time and experience. He makes the occasional mistake, ALL of our players do. I’m pretty sure we don’t need to loan out Ndidi after a few stray passes, or Tieleman’s. We’re not about to loan out Vardy because he’s struggling to score, etc. 

In my opinion Thomas is better than Chillwell already and will only improve. He’s learning on the job for sure, but he’s learning with us and that is more important than any loan. 

• Like 2

He’s our only naturally left sided player going into next season. Castagne looks uncomfortable on the left, Justin will be recovering from his injury still and Pereira has never played on the left for us.

He’ll play ~ 15 games next season, which is probably better than 40 for a mid table championship club. He’s 20 in June so even in if he really needs to go on loan the season after next, time is on his side.

• Like 4