Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Castagne looks uncomfortable on the left,

He is going to have to work hard on that. We signed him because he could play both sides. Ricci just cannot do it safely. Until JJ is fit we need him to play there in a lot of matches.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 10:31, gerblod said:

In this Luke Thomas thread, after the Crystal Palace game, when a small number of those like-minded to you were being critical of his performance, those who disagreed and made salient points praising that same performance, received about forty 'likes' and 'thanks'.

Now, I know that 'likes' are a subjective assessment of a player's worth, but asserting, by inference, that they're all "blinkered home fans" is a bit rich.

Your user name infers that you fancy yourself as a bit of a disinterested observer of 'form'. However, a true analyst is absolutely dispassionate and you're anything but. You're allowing certain prejudices to enter your estimation - too young is one of them and too small is another. Your expectation of him exceeds that which you apportion to regular first-teamers, because you don't mention any of the mistakes that Fofana or Tielemans made or the missed opportunities that Vardy had, or the lacklustre performance of James Maddison.

As for wasted crosses, how many has Albrighton sprayed into the stands in his time with Leicester? The point is that Thomas already knows the stuff he should be employing in a game. He's direct, far more confident about taking on defenders than Chilwell was in his final season at City, and his interplay with Barnes, although only witnessed a couple of games, suggests he has understanding, a quick mind and great spatial awareness. 

The "raw data" you allude to you don't quote. I suspect he doesn't tackle a great deal because, unless you're an N'Didi or Kante, it's not the safest option out on the wings. You don't 'sell' yourself - you smother the player and force him to pass. This is the modern game.

BR knows full well that this is a crucial time for City. You state that we're a putative Champion's League club - well, in spite of having Pereira back, he chose Thomas. That speaks volumes to me (unless Ricardo is carrying some weakness). Farm him out to the Championship or League One and you lose the opportunity of developing him against appropriate opposition. You lose an able understudy - much more capable than Choudhury or Mendy were at subbing for N'Didi. You lose the opportunity of bedding him in with the team. To me he looks like a young man who relishes the opportunity he's been given and that desire could carry him through any number of challenges.

He might get skinned once or twice by a Mahrez level guy, but so has every left sided defender in the Prem at one time or other. He will have to have the bottle though to accept when he's been 'found out' and move on in his acquisition of those skills and knowledge needed to avoid recurrences of his mistakes.

You see him though your prescription specs and I see him through mine. I see a huge potential - you see potential fallibility. We'll see if you're right. If he does get loaned then don't expect me to agree with BR either.

Haha you have to laugh at some of this almost foaming of the mouth hyping up of LT in here and in particular your response. With respect mate, I watch all games and think I am a decent judge. LT is class in the making but not yet. I dont think he has assisted a goal and has been subbed a few times, including once at HT. He has been found out on occasion but has done plenty of good things too. 

As I have said numerous times in here, I really rate LT. I think at a similar age he is ahead of a player that went on to be sold for 50m and play for England in Chilwell. However, we need to be realistic regarding timing and the status of our club. With every season our squad gets stronger and we seem to be improving in cups and the league. We need to kick on again and not stagnate and need players that are ready, IMO JT is not that man next season. 

Just like I would now swap Dewsbury-Hall for Mendy in our squad next season and cash in after a great loan where he virtually gets an MOM every week, we should do the same with JT and get him ready for the first team when he is ready. James Justin is injured and wont be starting the season in the team and will need to build up match fitness after missing a pre-season. I just think its a season or two too early for JT and we should add someone of quality. To me, there is no surprise that we are linked to Robin Gosens today. IMO its the right thing to do for now. JT`s time will come with the first team but some of the people posting in here need to cut the kid some slack, let him develop and not fast track him because he is local and we will enjoy a complete LB in a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Haha you have to laugh at some of this almost foaming of the mouth hyping up of LT in here and in particular your response. With respect mate, I watch all games and think I am a decent judge. LT is class in the making but not yet. I dont think he has assisted a goal and has been subbed a few times, including once at HT. He has been found out on occasion but has done plenty of good things too. 

As I have said numerous times in here, I really rate LT. I think at a similar age he is ahead of a player that went on to be sold for 50m and play for England in Chilwell. However, we need to be realistic regarding timing and the status of our club. With every season our squad gets stronger and we seem to be improving in cups and the league. We need to kick on again and not stagnate and need players that are ready, IMO JT is not that man next season. 

Just like I would now swap Dewsbury-Hall for Mendy in our squad next season and cash in after a great loan where he virtually gets an MOM every week, we should do the same with JT and get him ready for the first team when he is ready. James Justin is injured and wont be starting the season in the team and will need to build up match fitness after missing a pre-season. I just think its a season or two too early for JT and we should add someone of quality. To me, there is no surprise that we are linked to Robin Gosens today. IMO its the right thing to do for now. JT`s time will come with the first team but some of the people posting in here need to cut the kid some slack, let him develop and not fast track him because he is local and we will enjoy a complete LB in a couple of seasons.

.....you almost lost me there!!!

2 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Got an assist in the 2-0 win against AEK Athens, also scored an important goal in the 3-3 draw with Braga.

20 odd appearances like this season is brilliant for someone of his age to be getting at this level and training with players like the above and learning from them can arguably be just as good for his development as a loan in the championship.

We aren't saying that he should be fast tracked and playing every game (which for some reason you seem to think we are suggesting?), we understand he needs to develop and that he will make mistakes, plenty of us just feel like he can get the game time he needs to keep developing by staying at the club.

All clubs keep youth players in and around their squads playing in cup games, against weaker sides in the Prem etc. who manage to build a good amount of game time, even the scummy six do it.

Do you really think we should be going into next season with Gosens (if he signs), Castagne (who doesn't look that comfortable on the left and picks up a few injuries), Ricardo (who looks way off the level he was at before injury) and JJ (who realistically isn't going to be playing any football for us until 2022)? One injury and we are then stuck with pretty much no cover

Some people posting in here need to see that the kid is a special talent and it is perfectly fine for him to stick around the squad rather than being sent out on loan.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Whilst I don'thave particularly strong feelings either way about sending Thomas out on loan, he did get an assist last season, I think in our win against Sheff Utd.

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Been a difficult few games for him.

Absolutely. Anybody that denies this are deluding themselves. I can't see Brendan risking Thomas for our last 3 games. We do really need a LB for next season, with JJ out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happy85 said:

All other players have played good throughout the season 

not once I seen have Thomas great attacking game 

can’t believe no one can see his zero threat going forward 

He has done well to score this season with zero threat going forward. 

Thought he was OK tonight, better than some of our more established players. 

I like him but he was bobbins tonight. Looks a different player going forward with Barnes ahead of him though tbf. Everyone was shit tonight. If I was going to moan about just one player it wouldn't be him, it would probably be the GOAT because he's lost the ability to shoot let alone score goals. 

Edited by SecretPro