Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

Ricky P would defo be starting if he was 100% fit. He’s being managed at the moment and I can understand why.

Thomas’ passing in the Palace game was slightly off and in the Southampton game his touch was quite badly off. He’s still done well but you can see nerves creeping into his game. What makes him so good at his age in my opinion is his technique when he has the ball. Every game he is learning  but I hope he can learn to believe he deserves he should play for a top Prem team. It is a massive jump but shown bags of potential.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 18:51, Analysethis said:

Haha you have to laugh at some of this almost foaming of the mouth hyping up of LT in here and in particular your response. With respect mate, I watch all games and think I am a decent judge. LT is class in the making but not yet. I dont think he has assisted a goal and has been subbed a few times, including once at HT. He has been found out on occasion but has done plenty of good things too. 

As I have said numerous times in here, I really rate LT. I think at a similar age he is ahead of a player that went on to be sold for 50m and play for England in Chilwell. However, we need to be realistic regarding timing and the status of our club. With every season our squad gets stronger and we seem to be improving in cups and the league. We need to kick on again and not stagnate and need players that are ready, IMO JT is not that man next season. 

Just like I would now swap Dewsbury-Hall for Mendy in our squad next season and cash in after a great loan where he virtually gets an MOM every week, we should do the same with JT and get him ready for the first team when he is ready. James Justin is injured and wont be starting the season in the team and will need to build up match fitness after missing a pre-season. I just think its a season or two too early for JT and we should add someone of quality. To me, there is no surprise that we are linked to Robin Gosens today. IMO its the right thing to do for now. JT`s time will come with the first team but some of the people posting in here need to cut the kid some slack, let him develop and not fast track him because he is local and we will enjoy a complete LB in a couple of seasons.

"With respect, mate" always brings a wry smile to my mouth - especially when there's a "haha" prefacing it. It means you mean just the opposite. And the "foaming at the mouth" bit of hyperbole means you're implying, to the others reading this thread, that I'm a teensy bit unhinged. I know your gambit - it's the 'don't address the issue but have a dig at the person expressing their opinion' variation. Why don't you just stick to the point?

Yes, I've been watching ALL the games too - so what? Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but your assessment is subject to the same jury mine is - our fellow posters.

I can think of one occasion he got, as you express it, "found out" and it wasn't anything like as bad as the phrase implied. If you want an example of being really found out think back to Chilly against Man City and Liverpool in those two games in December '19. Thankfully Thomas hasn't been placed in that crucible yet, but one day he will be and you'll have a comparison to measure against.

I wasn't expressing any opinion about the timing and status of City's progress. He may not be "that man next season", yet BR has employed him consistently when he could have used other alternatives. If we make it to CL next season Thomas will have made a signficant contribution to that. I just hope he's not called upon for the Cup Final. If we lose there'll have to be a scapegoat and I'd rather that be someone with broader shoulders.

Your final para. isn't on the subject at hand. However I'd agree with Dewsbury-Hall getting the same chance that Thomas and Barnes have - just to see if he can handle the heat. If JJ returns with the same confidence and fitness as he had before the ACL then he will take precedence over Thomas and maybe over one or two others. For me, he's the one player who could be the key to City establishing our potential to consistently perform as equals to the moneybags clubs. I suspect he could excel at almost any position (watch out Kasper and Danny!).

As for cutting Luke Thomas some slack, I've not been one of those who've been criticising him. All I've done is counter the "meh" crowd, who seem to be intent on ragging his performances. To be placed in the position of filling a crucial position, in a run in of such importance and not be overwhelmed and indeed to make a fist of it, is tribute to his strength of mind - let alone his playing ability.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

Solid player with bags of potential and he certainly hasn't let us down, but he's not a game changer as yet. Ricardo is, and unless he's injured he should be in the starting 11 at this crucial time despite the fact that neither he nor Castagne look completely at home on the left side. 

At the moment ,Rodgers doesn't want to play Castagne on the left side but when Ricci is up to speed Castagne may find himself on the bench if he doesn't play there . If they maybe sign Gosens and the hopeful full recovery of Justin then he will be way down the pecking order. Thomas can then possibly be loaned but only to a premiership team.One thing for sure is a fully fit Ricci is one of the best full backs in the premiership and therefore in Europe. Castagne is good but not in his class.

He’s a good young talent that is obviously trying a little too hard, that’ll fade though with the confidence that comes from playing with the first team regularly. I think he’ll be a gem for us and he could be absolutely critical if JJ doesn’t ever fully recover from the knee injury, I hope of-course he does.

Ricardo is on his way to being fit but still doesn’t look right to me, I do think he’ll get it back but it’s going to be slow, that’s what makes me feel JJ will be equally slow to get back to his best.

15 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

He’s a good young talent that is obviously trying a little too hard, that’ll fade though with the confidence that comes from playing with the first team regularly. I think he’ll be a gem for us and he could be absolutely critical if JJ doesn’t ever fully recover from the knee injury, I hope of-course he does.

Ricardo is on his way to being fit but still doesn’t look right to me, I do think he’ll get it back but it’s going to be slow, that’s what makes me feel JJ will be equally slow to get back to his best.

My son is recovering from an ACL injury and it does take time to have total faith in your knee but his surgeon says it will be as strong or even stronger eventually.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2021 at 10:22, gerblod said:

"With respect, mate" always brings a wry smile to my mouth - especially when there's a "haha" prefacing it. It means you mean just the opposite. And the "foaming at the mouth" bit of hyperbole means you're implying, to the others reading this thread, that I'm a teensy bit unhinged. I know your gambit - it's the 'don't address the issue but have a dig at the person expressing their opinion' variation. Why don't you just stick to the point?

Yes, I've been watching ALL the games too - so what? Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but your assessment is subject to the same jury mine is - our fellow posters.

I can think of one occasion he got, as you express it, "found out" and it wasn't anything like as bad as the phrase implied. If you want an example of being really found out think back to Chilly against Man City and Liverpool in those two games in December '19. Thankfully Thomas hasn't been placed in that crucible yet, but one day he will be and you'll have a comparison to measure against.

I wasn't expressing any opinion about the timing and status of City's progress. He may not be "that man next season", yet BR has employed him consistently when he could have used other alternatives. If we make it to CL next season Thomas will have made a signficant contribution to that. I just hope he's not called upon for the Cup Final. If we lose there'll have to be a scapegoat and I'd rather that be someone with broader shoulders.

Your final para. isn't on the subject at hand. However I'd agree with Dewsbury-Hall getting the same chance that Thomas and Barnes have - just to see if he can handle the heat. If JJ returns with the same confidence and fitness as he had before the ACL then he will take precedence over Thomas and maybe over one or two others. For me, he's the one player who could be the key to City establishing our potential to consistently perform as equals to the moneybags clubs. I suspect he could excel at almost any position (watch out Kasper and Danny!).

As for cutting Luke Thomas some slack, I've not been one of those who've been criticising him. All I've done is counter the "meh" crowd, who seem to be intent on ragging his performances. To be placed in the position of filling a crucial position, in a run in of such importance and not be overwhelmed and indeed to make a fist of it, is tribute to his strength of mind - let alone his playing ability.

Its an expected response from a blinkered individual. Its also hilarious how you attempted (and failed) to dissect my posts and conveniently left some of my positive comments out. I`ll attempt to simplify it for you.

LT is in my opinion, a potential England full-back. He is extremely raw but as far as natural full-backs go, I have seen him play well in certain games, especially with Barnes playing in front of him in a 4 so notice the potential. However, he is now not doing enough to be a regular in a potential Champions League squad. He is way too raw at this stage of his development. If you look at a fair comparison with a player who plays in his position and one that he has played one more game than in Christian Fuchs, you will see what I mean...

According to official Prem stats, LT has made just 12 successful tackles where Fuchs has made 18. He has won 16 aerial battles to Fuchs 20, Completed 307 passes to Fuchs 524. 19 Clearances to Fuchs 30. 10 Interceptions to Fuchs 16. Despite being 35yo, Fuchs experience of positioning, reading the game and a general understanding makes him a better option if his legs hadnt gone. This is not a criticism of LT. Luke Thomas has time on his side to go up a few levels and make more of a significant contribution. I repeat, I think he has the potential to get there but not now.

I say we buy someone instead. Not long after my post of a few days ago, we have been linked with the likes of Gosens. To me that is no surprise. Rodgers will always back his players and boost confidence as thats what he does. However, I have no doubt we will buy another left back next season. I would personally prefer to have Gosens in and Castagne as his back up until JJ comes back into the side. With Riccardo, Castagne, JJ and potential a Gosens, I wouldn't keep LT around next season for another bit part season. It would have to be a loan but only to a lower league prem club or play-off chasing Championship club. 

Lets see if I am way off the mark on this one over the forthcoming months but I think we all need to chill a bit and cut LT a break and let the lad develop in time and not be fast-tracked because he has potential.

• Like 1

One way or another we’ll have plenty of matches next season (perhaps not as crowded as this one), so will need 2 decent players in each position. On the right, assuming Ricardo is fit, it would be him and Castagne. On the left I’d be happy with a fully fit JJ and LT. As JJ’s injury makes it uncertain when he will return I think we need to sign someone else pending his return, preferably along the lines of Fuchs.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

7 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Its an expected response from a blinkered individual. Its also hilarious how you attempted (and failed) to dissect my posts and conveniently left some of my positive comments out. I`ll attempt to simplify it for you.

Uh-oh. Here it comes - the gasbag hiss of a infinitely frail ego being punctured.

You've wasted your time and energy on trying to prove you know something I don't, whilst attempting to save face by mocking me. Well done! :appl:

Guest Fktf

He seems very competent on the overlap, but not so good running with the ball from deeper, so perhaps not surprising he's looked good in the 4231, but not the 352.

He just looks to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment, thinking back to the Arsenal game he really struggled with Pepe that day and not sure he's been the same since so that may have something to do with it.

Recently he too often looks sideways or backwards when there's a ball forwards on and there were a few underhit balls down the line last week which are always a bit frustrating.

He's a young player being asked to start sporadically for a team trying to challenge for the top 4, on the whole he's done really well so far and I have no doubt that in a couple of years he will be first choice for us, but at the moment he's struggling a little which is normal for a 19 year old lad breaking through, not everyone's a freak like Erling Haaland!

If Castagne was told to play on the left , most of this thread would be unnecessary. Luke would be on the bench and covering for any injuries . He has done a pretty decent job but Castagne is an experienced international player who we bought to replace Chilwell. He is keeping Ricci out of the team but that cannot continue.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 07:10, Bptiger said:

Bottom line he offers nothing in attack , as all he is doing is playing back , we need to be putting pressure on teams not letting reset , by playing back so much .

On the other hand, he might just be following the orders given to him his manager to a tee. He was noticeably different with Barnes on the left in front of him. He proved he could attack, overlap and cross a ball. Therefore, it may just be possible that in Barnes absence, Rodgers is asking him to be safety first. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gerblod said:

Uh-oh. Here it comes - the gasbag hiss of a infinitely frail ego being punctured.

You've wasted your time and energy on trying to prove you know something I don't, whilst attempting to save face by mocking me. Well done! :appl:

No mate. This is a case of someone having an opinion that you don't and you have decided to not just disagreeing and respecting it, but trying to come off a smart ass and failing.

I stand by my point and I'm happy to see if I am right regarding LT and his game time next season. I'll bet whatever you want we sign a first team left full back or left wing back because the hierarchy at the club know that why he is very talented and has a big future ahead, we will need an International standard first teamer to battle JJ.

29 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

No mate. This is a case of someone having an opinion that you don't and you have decided to not just disagreeing and respecting it, but trying to come off a smart ass and failing.

Touché. Ouch!

On 30/04/2021 at 23:11, Analysethis said:

He made very few errors today, took up an advanced position which gave us plenty of options but at this stage of his development he hasnt quite got the level to be a real attacking threat in the final third. I think it will come in time. To be fair to him, Im not sure I would have subbed him today as he at least gave us balance whilst many of his team mates were so under par.

If I'd read this post before you came banging on my door, I'd have thought you were a reasonable bloke.

You're very positive about Thomas - far more so than some clueless, self-opinionated nerks who thought their opinions were worthy of reading.

In fact, I'd have possibly 'liked' your post. Too late now, though.