Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

Look, I'm a man who thrives on Flair and its never nice not seeing us play our two wingers but we have put together some sequences of good results playing 3 at the back and hopefully this result kick starts us again for a strong Christmas. Either way its a badly needed win and I'm going to take a few positives..  Jonny Evans back looking strong and Perez was very good.

• Like 4

Despite the highly frustrating second half, goal aside, we did deserve to win although we made it harder than it should have been. 

The corner and the subsequent goal we conceded were really depressing, totally avoidable. 

But we could have had two more but for the same post, and they should have been reduced to 10 before half time - very weak officiating. (Fuchs was close to seeing a second yellow with that attempted scythe). 

Substitutions were odd. Perez looked much better whilst Mendy, despite his propensity to look often for the short safe ball, was there to recycle possession and did it well. Can't fathom the changes really though good to see Ndidi back. 

In context though, Sheffield United were as poor as their position and points suggest. They offered little. We have slipped up on too many occasions before; today we didn't and that's good despite the laboured second 45. Need to build now.

Can enjoy a glass of red tonight and the week ahead now. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

I think it’s a case of a balanced summary.

We were absolutely shocking 2nd half imo. We against looked clueless how to break a low block.

We played well first half , all be it, Sheffield Utd we’re so poor and stood off us to much. 2nd half they sat deeper and pressed us whenever we got over the half way line and we looked literally toothless.

Lets be positive though, yes it is papering over the cracks for me, however we didn’t put our heads down and those 2 points we ‘stole’ are crucial and it’s about time we managed to win a game like that!

few huge positives for me

-Ndidi coming back is fantastic. He’s just so good and has a presence, no one messes with him and he will improve us greatly.

- Tielemens is an absolutely fantastic player. He looks a level above and he’s only getting better. When we get more time he’s brilliant, Wilf back will help us compete more in other games and these 2 together excite me greatly.

- Perez has a fantastic game and has played his way back in for me. Brilliant when tight spaces and presses well. Really impressed with him.

We have The nucleus of a good squad. I think with Ricardo and Castange back in will help us unlock the doors better.

There were a lot of poor moments and cracks are there but we have Barnes Under as options and we also have 2 of the best fullbacks in the league to come back. There’s a lot to be positive about.

However it was a game that imo we didn’t deserve to win and this formation is flawed for me. It makes the games a scrap and we got past an awful team JUST. The point remains, we must change to 433 and get back to our best.

Brighton at home we can’t continue to do this!

• Like 1

I think people had every right to criticise a lot of the match today, I aired a lot of my frustrations whilst also praising the likes of Perez. I thought the subs were baffling, I thought Madders didn’t play well, the set pieces were shocking, again and we just didn’t seem to look like we wanted it more than United. Still in typical Leicester fashion I start moaning and the buggers go on and win it lol

5 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Despite the highly frustrating second half, goal aside, we did deserve to win although we made it harder than it should have been. 

The corner and the subsequent goal we conceded were really depressing, totally avoidable. 

But we could have had two more but for the same post, and they should have been reduced to 10 before half time - very weak officiating. (Fuchs was close to seeing a second yellow with that attempted scythe). 

Substitutions were odd. Perez looked much better whilst Mendy, despite his propensity to look often for the short safe ball, was there to recycle possession and did it well. Can't fathom the changes really. 

In context though, Sheffield United were as poor as their position and points suggest. They offered little. We have slipped up on too many occasions before; today we didn't and that's good despite the laboured second 45. Need to build now. Can enjoy a glass of red tonight and the week ahead. 

To be fair at 1-1 you want your manager to bring another striker on and go for it, the annoying thing was it was Maddison who ought to have been the one to come off as Perez was class. But keeping him on paid off as he set Vardy up so we go again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Substitutions were odd. Perez looked much better whilst Mendy, despite his propensity to look often for the short safe ball, was there to recycle possession and did it well. Can't fathom the changes really though good to see Ndidi back. 

In context though, Sheffield United were as poor as their position and points suggest. They offered little. We have slipped up on too many occasions before; today we didn't and that's good despite the laboured second 45. Need to build now.

Thought N’didi coming on was clear - give protection and height to Sheff U’s sole threat on corners and free kicks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genesis1 said:

Hate to be that guy but Rodgers got that horribly wrong. If a thousand people can see Maddison can't take corners and who's playing where and how well then how can he not? Does make you wonder what he's constantly writing in his little book.

rating the smell of his own farts. that's a joke, I think he's a decent manager and don't hate him.

Positives:

- Tielemans was excellent in midfield today - constantly moving the ball well and some great individual skill too.

- Perez had a really good game - better link between midfield and attack than Maddison on todays showing.

- We created some good chances in the first half and should've been out of sight by half-time (hit the post twice).

- Good to see Wilf back in PL action even if it was a bit of a strange sub.

- JJ is improving.

Negatives:

- Maddison is terrible. Too slow, absolutely horrendous at set-pieces (wastes nearly every single one after taking an eternity to go and actually take the bloody thing). Needs to be dropped immediately. I'd like to see Praet starting in a 4-3-3.

- Second half was poor - didn't create enough chances and lacked any width, thought the subs were utterly bizarre but fortunately we have a match-winner in JV.

- Rodgers persisting with five at the back.

- The weird half zonal half man-marking routine on corners really doesn't work. Rodgers is one of the highest paid managers in world football (really) but it seems he's just too stubborn to address our very obvious weaknesses.

Sheff Utd were clearly low on confidence and there for the taking today but the team wasn't set-up correctly and it very nearly cost us three points. JV bailed us out with a decent finish from Maddison's sole positive contribution.

Overall, it's a win but I'm feeling fairly miserable about it. We need to start working on our weaknesses. Evans should've been 1:1 marking McBurnie on corners, anyone could see that, but instead it was a weird combination of JJ and Tielemans?!

Good value for the win today. Unlucky to hit the post twice and they should have been a man down in the first half.

Thought we played well, not brilliantly, but well and that's good enough.

Also think Brendon got selection and subs spot on. Perez came in and did really well, but it was also the right choice to bring Kelechi on, he allowed us to get further up the pitch at a time Sheff U were getting some confidence, and you leave Maddison on as he is more capable of a moment to change the match.

Not every match will be a 10/10 performance, but after a few poor results and what's looked like a lack of confidence, this could be a huge win.

Roll on Thursday.

16 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

How big is the glass? Pint size?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Batfink77 said:

Arsenal beat them 2-1,  Liverpool 2-1 and Man City 1-0.  We dominated, hit the post twice and..er...won 2-1 - still without our full first team.   WTF are some people on.  They are a strong, solid team, hard to break down (hence those results shown at start).  I think people really need some perspective.  Crazy.

No, no, no - we should be smashing teams, playing slick silky football, week in week out, without question lol

Wonder if Arsenal, Liverpool and ManC fans were losing their minds after winning similar to us against them?

People need to have some serious words with themselves at times.

• Like 3

I thought we were fine. Not the best we've ever played, certainly not the worst. Overall we got what we deserved - I can't see that we were especially lucky having dominated the ball and created more/better chances. Feel for the posters having to hastily delete their polemics on how Rodgers is the worst manager/human being in football history and replace them with throwaway comments about papering over the cracks - maybe next week, lads.

16 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

However it was a game that imo we didn’t deserve to win and this formation is flawed for me. It makes the games a scrap and we got past an awful team JUST. The point remains, we must change to 433 and get back to our best.

Brighton at home we can’t continue to do this!

How did we not deserve to win it?

I don’t get what the problem is, we were the far better team, the two post hits on another day go in and the same performance is raved about and the same fans are considering maybe at 4-1 over the blades were still good enough to win the league. A good day for the foxes imo. 🦊 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Good to see the big 6 asserting ourselves at the top. 

Screenshot_20201206_174900.jpg

The Big 6 have just had a vote.  We have been given a 10 point deduction and Arsenal have been awarded 10 merit points.  

• Haha 1

Just now, SheppyFox said:

I don’t get what the problem is, we were the far better team, the two post hits on another day go in and the same performance is raved about and the same fans are considering maybe at 4-1 over the blades were still good enough to win the league. A good day for the foxes imo. 🦊 

I think it’s because we played such a shit Sheff Utd side and made heavy weather of it.

22 minutes ago, car1os said:

Like the comments from Vardy post-match - he’s honest, said the team had let themselves down in recent weeks, but glad to get the win. 

I think this’ll help spur the team on, we’ve looked a bit short of confidence in the final third in the last couple of weeks so hopefully this’ll help for the Athens and Brighton games

Well Graham Potter doesn't sit in, we know that Brighton will commit players forward. I like him and I like his optimistic positive attacking football. Be interesting to see how Brendan responds. 

10 minutes ago, Frost said:

- Maddison is terrible. 

Jesus wept...this ****ing forum. 

• Like 1