Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

16 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

What changes does everyone expect to see for the second test at Edgbaston?

I'd probably see Overton for Robinson as a like for like replacement, Stone for Wood and maybe rotate Broad and Anderson? I'd like to see Hameed come in for Crawley as he looks out of sorts and play Sibley at 3.

Not sure Overton will play given his historical actions. 

22 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Im struggling with the Morgan/Butter comments? Assume the issue is they are taking the piss out of Indian followers? Is that racism or just taking the piss? Is there allowed to be a difference? Unless I'm missing something. 

I do think there is an element of diluting serious racism by focussing so much on these type of 'offences', as it makes it looks like organisations are acting on it. 

The overton offence is certainly the worst for me, as it's directed at an individual with intent. 

Understand what you’re saying, but it’s pretty poor form for me mocking the accents of people speaking their third and fourth languages who are their biggest fans and have no right of reply. They’re not kids here either, they’re experienced international cricketers who have benefitted a lot from Indian culture and their love of cricket. Smacks a lot of punching down and an attitude of superiority to me.

It is absolutely ridiculous that sporting clubs don't have policies to ensure that these historic tweets don't bite them on the arse.

Why is nobody from the ECB or Sussex CCC saying "by the way Ollie, you might want to delete this because if the media find it you're knackered"?

Would take probably a couple of hours to fully rinse someone's social media pages clean. I'd do it for a decent hourly rate. Could be a decent little earner lol 

On 08/06/2021 at 09:55, RowlattsFox said:

Im struggling with the Morgan/Butter comments? Assume the issue is they are taking the piss out of Indian followers? Is that racism or just taking the piss? Is there allowed to be a difference? Unless I'm missing something. 

I do think there is an element of diluting serious racism by focussing so much on these type of 'offences', as it makes it looks like organisations are acting on it. 

The overton offence is certainly the worst for me, as it's directed at an individual with intent. 

On 08/06/2021 at 11:17, StanSP said:

Agreed with the Overton one. Definitely worse and its the kind of comments that were aimed at Asians since the 70s. 

As for Buttler/Morgan, its mocking them, really. More the 'casual racism' (I don't think it's that bad but then maybe I'm desensitised to it). It's the kind of stuff you hear at school or just really, really immature things. It's childish 'humour'. But as a pro they should know better with comments like that on a public platform where someone might take offence or take it the wrong way. 

Good response from Stan...

The reason I imagine these players think this is okay (not that it makes it okay) is that we've had pretty mainstream Asian lead comedies on TV and comedians (like Romesh who makes a living taking the piss out of his mums accent) who openly take the piss out of the way their ancestors speak compared to them as a 'born in Britain' Asian. 

As you say I imagine that has caused a lot of desensitisation and opened the floodgates for white people to think it's okay to take the piss too!

• Like 1

Not to downplay it but why have Buttler and Morgan's tweets suddenly become big news? They were international players when it happened, big names, why was it not flagged up and investigated at the time?

13 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Poor from Root considering the previous delivery he edged a lucky one for 4. The best thing about this though is the crowd, sounds brilliant!

Yeah, nothing says "back to normal" like pissed-up lads at Edgbaston. :beer:

• Haha 2