Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Official - Slimani joins OL

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Yes there is some revisionism going on in parts. 

When he signed he had developed a good scoring record, he was big and powerful, and it would not have been unsurprising to see him go to a bigger and better team than us. His first season wasn't CATACLYSMIC either - he scored nine in an ailing team. 

What sunk Akinbiyi was the chances. If he scores nine and had half the chances that would have been okay but the team around him created enough for him to score twenty. 

He had scored 16 in the previous season for Wolves in the Championship.  OK, but that was his level.  I didn't understand why we weren't aiming higher at the time.

He had power and pace, I'll give you that, but he cost us, time after time after time.  His tally of two goals in his second season ultimately sent us down in my opinion.

Where is the revisionism?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I dunno about Musa - we recouped the fee for him, and although he was lacking he at least tried

Unlike Lee fkin Marshall, who looked like a dog that had won a competition to be a human for the day.

Yes I’m still mad about it tator peeler :mad:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

He had scored 16 in the previous season for Wolves in the Championship.  OK, but that was his level.  I didn't understand why we weren't aiming higher at the time.

He had power and pace, I'll give you that, but he cost us, time after time after time.  His tally of two goals in his second season ultimately sent us down in my opinion.

.....Akinbiyi was just bad judgment by the existing manager who went by what he had heard!!!

Paying that price for a player he had not seen was ridiculous and as a gamble it failed miserably. Akinbiyi was clearly not at the level that we needed, and the pressure he was under became a load he could not carry and the only one that could or should have lightened the load was the inept manager who put him in the firing line and watched him suffer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, murphy said:

I totally agree. His pace and power got him onto so many passes in the box. Alas his touch and shooting were tripe and he couldn't hit the proverbial barn door. Conversely Benjamin at the time would get on the end of diddly squat. But on the rare occasion he did he might finish it. Ade made himself look worse by being 'so near, but in the end, so far'!!

• Like 1

I will forever remember him not for doing anything for us but his "performance" at the AFCON after Algeria won it during the presentation of the cup ceremony. He was an absolute man child, like a spoilt brat trying to grab the trophy from all of his team mates at any given time, Such a shame really. Also did anyone else notice when he ran it was like a comical "I'm giving the impression I'm running really fast" but in reality he was very slow. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fktf said:

He's only the 5th worse signing of this lot, let alone the clubs history.

In terms of money we paid for him, plus wages and the fact weve not made any money back when hes left, means he absolutely is the worst on that list and one of our worst ever. In terms if actual contribution to the the team, there are worse on there and have been much worse in our history. 

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

Unlike Lee fkin Marshall, who looked like a dog that had won a competition to be a human for the day.

Yes I’m still mad about it tator peeler :mad:

Lee fkin Marshall was just about the worst ever player I’ve seen at City. God knows how he made it as a pro footballer and why we paid, I think, 800 grand for him. I swear I’ve seen better on my local park 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I totally agree. His pace and power got him onto so many passes in the box. Alas his touch and shooting were tripe and he couldn't hit the proverbial barn door. Conversely Benjamin at the time would get on the end of diddly squat. But on the rare occasion he did he might finish it. Ade made himself look worse by being 'so near, but in the end, so far'!!

This is a true story. I was on the same plane that took the City team out to Portugal (Algarve) when under Micky Adams. Can’t remember the year.
I was sat across the aisle from Trevor Benjamin. At one point he got out his laptop and shoved a DVD on, and the sod was literally squinting at the screen and having to hold the screen up to his eyes at times to watch the movie or whatever it was. 
I guess he might have been long sighted but I remember thinking this guy is one of our strikers

😀

• Haha 3

I was surprised to see this thread up to six pages … he’s gone, thank God, what is left to say?

But of course … another chance to drag out every turd of a transfer mistake and gaze at every detail, as if they were diamonds in the light.

If this forum was my only source to learn about the Club, I’d know more about Akinbiyi and Wise than Lineker and Lynex.

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is a true story. I was on the same plane that took the City team out to Portugal (Algarve) when under Micky Adams. Can’t remember the year.
I was sat across the aisle from Trevor Benjamin. At one point he got out his laptop and shoved a DVD on, and the sod was literally squinting at the screen and having to hold the screen up to his eyes at times to watch the movie or whatever it was. 
I guess he might have been long sighted but I remember thinking this guy is one of our strikers

😀

lol That's great. We were relying on Mr. pissing Magoo to bag for us.

I can believe it. In one or two of the former Leicester player Undr the Cosh podcasts, they're talking about how Benjamin was as blind as a bat. Maybe the Andy Johnson episode.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, murphy said:

The revisionism is that he was this stinking turd of Player who we were idiots to buy. 

It's right - he's one of our poorer signings. But there are much worse. 

It made sense at the time and he wasn't wretched. He just wasn't as good as his price and supply should be.

Don't get me wrong, it was disastrous but it wasn't a Silva, Wise, Musa etc. 

Edited by foxile5

Just now, foxile5 said:

The revisionism is that he was this stinking turd of Player who we were idiots to buy. 

It's right - he's one of our worst ever signings. But there are much worse. 

It made sense at the time and he wasn't wretched. He just wasn't as good as his price and supply should be.

I guess he carries the weight of Taylor's failure. If he had played the same under a different manager he wouldn't be quite so hated. 

Maybe I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It's right - he's one of our poorer signings. But there are much worse. 

He wasn't 'wretched' but he was 'disastrous'?  Riiight...

It's not revisionism to say he was awful just because I don't agree with you.  lol

He was truly dreadful and the main factor in our relegation in my opinion.  Worse than Musa, Silva etc because his signing cost us so dearly.  Two PL goals in our relegation season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

😀

Col, you forgot to add that Cattermole and a young Amartey were with you going on Your holiday.

I was sitting 2 seats behind you with Lee Marshall and Richie Wellens.

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Akinbiyi was just bad judgment by the existing manager who went by what he had heard!!!

Paying that price for a player he had not seen was ridiculous and as a gamble it failed miserably. Akinbiyi was clearly not at the level that we needed, and the pressure he was under became a load he could not carry and the only one that could or should have lightened the load was the inept manager who put him in the firing line and watched him suffer.

I think I read somewhere that Peter Taylor had asked Darren Eadie what he thought of Akinbye. Eadie said he rated him and thought he was a good buy.

Apparently Eadie spat his coffee out when he read the papers / teletext and found out we’d paid £5,000,000 for him! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol That's great. We were relying on Mr. pissing Magoo to bag for us.

I can believe it. In one or two of the former Leicester player Undr the Cosh podcasts, they're talking about how Benjamin was as blind as a bat. Maybe the Andy Johnson episode.

They call him Nookie Bear because of his eyes poor fella lol

11 hours ago, murphy said:

He wasn't 'wretched' but he was 'disastrous'?  Riiight...

It's not revisionism to say he was awful just because I don't agree with you.  lol

He was truly dreadful and the main factor in our relegation in my opinion.  Worse than Musa, Silva etc because his signing cost us so dearly.  Two PL goals in our relegation season.

If you're quoting me to be facetious you might want to read the post a little more carefully. I said the signing was disastrous not that he was. I think he was largely poor but not as bad as is made out. The signing and the money spent on him is seperate from his performance.

I didn't suggest YOU were the sole source of revisionism. 

Whilst he wasn't brilliant, nor even good to be honest, there were multiple other factors that led to our demise. You are correct - he scored two that year. But this was set against the backdrop of four managers, terrible, terrible management, La Manga, Juinor Lewis and Lee Marshall, and 4 winless months. To pin all that on Akinbiyi is, at best, blinkered and at worst - you'll like this - revisionism. Look at that season again and tell me he was the main factor. More responsible than the four managers? The La Manga scandal? 

I'm not advocating him as some kind of under-appreciated genius, far from it, but he wasn't the stinking turd he was made out to be.

25 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

If you're quoting me to be facetious you might want to read the post a little more carefully. I said the signing was disastrous not that he was. I think he was largely poor but not as bad as is made out. The signing and the money spent on him is seperate from his performance.

I didn't suggest YOU were the sole source of revisionism. 

Whilst he wasn't brilliant, nor even good to be honest, there were multiple other factors that led to our demise. You are correct - he scored two that year. But this was set against the backdrop of four managers, terrible, terrible management, La Manga, Juinor Lewis and Lee Marshall, and 4 winless months. To pin all that on Akinbiyi is, at best, blinkered and at worst - you'll like this - revisionism. Look at that season again and tell me he was the main factor. More responsible than the four managers? The La Manga scandal? 

I'm not advocating him as some kind of under-appreciated genius, far from it, but he wasn't the stinking turd he was made out to be.

We can disagree about the merits of Ade Akinbiyi, that's fine, but perhaps you should read posts more carefully yourself.  I said he was the main factor in our relegation that season.  Yes there were plenty of others.  It is the revisionism I object to, it's an arrogant thing to say, as if your view is the accepted truth and any other a false distortion of that.  

I was there week in week out and I remember head in hands as Akinbiyi would run the ball out of touch or blaze over.  He had the chances which is why I think with even a half decent striker it could have been different.  It got to the stage that when I saw him going through one on one with the keeper I wouldn't even get out of my seat because the result was so predictable.

The Akinbiyi transfer was the nadir of transfer dealings in my opinion because we overpaid and blew the budget (Taylor's fault not Akinbiyi's) but most of all because, that above all else.cost us our hard won Premier League status.  In my opinion.  Nobody has used the words 'stinking turd' to describe him, but he was abject and I never saw a player looking so out of his depth before or since hence why he became something of a joke figure among many Leicester fans, and earned the 'Akinbadbuy' tag.  

Again, it is Taylor's fault that he saw fit to replace Collymore and Heskey with Akinbiyi and Benjamin and spent £24m (a fortune by our standards in those days) turning a relative silk purse of a team into a sow's ear.

Just now, murphy said:

We can disagree about the merits of Ade Akinbiyi, that's fine, but perhaps you should read posts more carefully yourself.  I said he was the main factor in our relegation that season.  Yes there were plenty of others.  It is the revisionism I object to, it's an arrogant thing to say, as if your view is the accepted truth and any other a false distortion of that.  

I was there week in week out and I remember head in hands as Akinbiyi would run the ball out of touch or blaze over.  He had the chances which is why I think with even a half decent striker it could have been different.  It got to the stage that when I saw him going through one on one with the keeper I wouldn't even get out of my seat because the result was so predictable.

The Akinbiyi transfer was the nadir of transfer dealings in my opinion because we overpaid and blew the budget (Taylor's fault not Akinbiyi's) but most of all because, that above all else.cost us our hard won Premier League status.  In my opinion.  Nobody has used the words 'stinking turd' to describe him, but he was abject and I never saw a player looking so out of his depth before or since hence why he became something of a joke figure among many Leicester fans, and earned the 'Akinbadbuy' tag.  

Again, it is Taylor's fault that he saw fit to replace Collymore and Heskey with Akinbiyi and Benjamin and spent £24m (a fortune by our standards in those days) turning a relative silk purse of a team into a sow's ear.

Right. I'll drop the term revisionism if it makes me look arrogant. Lord knows I've enough other faults without adding that one to an ever expanding list.

I was there too, in the life of fire so to speak - Filbert Street end just off the right post as the striker looked at it and four rows back - and I can picture the events you're describing. He was poor, absolutely. 

My argument isn't that he was good, just that he's looked upon as diabolical. He was a out of his depth but not awful, remember - he scored 9 in his first season. The second season we, as a club, were so rotten that we could've had Collymore, Heskey, and the likes upfront and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. We were already sunk.

In my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Right. I'll drop the term revisionism if it makes me look arrogant. Lord knows I've enough other faults without adding that one to an ever expanding list.

I was there too, in the life of fire so to speak - Filbert Street end just off the right post as the striker looked at it and four rows back - and I can picture the events you're describing. He was poor, absolutely. 

My argument isn't that he was good, just that he's looked upon as diabolical. He was a out of his depth but not awful, remember - he scored 9 in his first season. The second season we, as a club, were so rotten that we could've had Collymore, Heskey, and the likes upfront and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. We were already sunk.

In my opinion, of course.

OK, let's leave it there then.