stu

Official - Slimani joins OL

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Funny how he keeps on getting signed for decent clubs despite so many people on here thinking he's absolutely useless. 

It's almost as if the highly professional, skilled and experienced coaching and scouting outfits at Lyon and Monaco know more about players than a bunch of middle aged blokes from places like Shepshed, Coalville and Blaby (no offence to those towns btw!) 

The players who generally come over and do well from France are GK’s, Defenders and Midfielders. 

Strikers who have only ever been tearing up the french league... well they don’t often come over and those that do don’t often do well! 

I’m aware there’s exceptions, but you could send Brewster over there at the minute and he’d get 15 goals without breaking a sweat 

8 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

1. slimani

2. Silva

3. musa

4. Ade

5. Mills

top 5 for me 

Wise has to be number one for me, the ****er caused all sorts of issues then tried to sue the club and get it wound up. 
I don’t think I’d have Slimani or Musa in my top 10, some far worse signings for the club.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SO1 said:

That's one summer window? Thats nuts. Never seen that many players purchased in one summer. Why?

Not really. Just 5 to add quality & depth to the paper thin squad that won the league, a couple ‘for the future’. At least that was the objective. I thought it had a chance of succeeding at the end of August 2016, like most fans I suspect.

I still can’t understand why it was such a catastrophe of a window. Was our much vaunted recruitment team having an ‘off’ window (and of course the months of preparation leading up to the window)? Or were we simply unable to persuade our ‘A list’ targets to join a club that had pulled off a 5000-1 miracle and was due to regress to the mean? Or...?

Edited by Steve Earle
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

That seems like hindsight 20/20. He was brought in at a time long before Brendan Rodgers, possession based football, and creative midfielders that can break down teams that sit back and defend. We did need a plan B, because we got found out the season after we won the title, and we had no other ways of playing besides "plan A l, but better."

I'm not talking about when we signed him, I'm talking about now. A few people saying we should have kept him as a plan b. My point is, Rodgers doesn't use a plan b and nor should we need to. He was a bad signing and we move on. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Not really. Just 5 to add quality & depth to the paper thin squad that win the league, a couple ‘for the future’. At least that was the objective. I thought it had a chance of succeeding at the end of August 2016, like most fans I suspect.

I still can’t understand why it was such a catastrophe of a window. Was our much vaunted recruitment team having an ‘off’ window (and of course the months of preparation leading up to the window)? Or were we simply unable to persuade our ‘A list’ targets to join a club that had pulled off a 5000-1 miracle and was due to regress to the mean? Or...?

I suspect it was such a bad window because we felt we had to change approach due to the incredible achievement. Maybe we decided we had to go for a different type of player now we were PL champs. I've not got much to back that up, but as far as transfer windows go, it stands out like a sore thumb amongst the ones before and since.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Funny how he keeps on getting signed for decent clubs despite so many people on here thinking he's absolutely useless. 

It's almost as if the highly professional, skilled and experienced coaching and scouting outfits at Lyon and Monaco know more about players than a bunch of middle aged blokes from places like Shepshed, Coalville and Blaby (no offence to those towns btw!) 

I'm sure that they do, however, this is a forum for people to express their opinions including middle aged blokes from Shepshed, Coalville and Blaby.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Do these coaches at Lyon and Monaco also know more than Rodgers and his coaching team? Or is it maybe just that a player could do ok in the French league but just not be good enough for a team challenging at the top of the premier league. I mean another example might be PSG (arguably the best team in France) signing Choupo Moting who didnt exactly pull up trees at Stoke. Actually no idea how hes ended up at Bayern, he must have an amazing agent. But anyway, the point remains that he was never a good fit here and was not fancied by any of our managers other than Ranieri. Best all round that we have him off our wage bill and it seems Rudkin and the scouting team have learnt from that horrific transfer window after we won the league as we have done much better since. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

If these stats are correct, Slim played and scored more for other clubs than he did with us during his time here😂

LCFC - 36 apps 8 goals
LOAN - 37 apps 10 goals

Screenshot_20210113-222259_Chrome.jpg.4308dbb251704d31a2da4a347b286afa.jpg

Other than his Monaco stint, his stats are honking. And yet some think we should have kept him. Aside from him not being a good fit here, his antics when Algeria won the AFCON show he was a bit of a bell end 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Other than his Monaco stint, his stats are honking. And yet some think we should have kept him. Aside from him not being a good fit here, his antics when Algeria won the AFCON show he was a bit of a bell end 

What did he do?

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Did someone say we're making up his wages for the remainder of his contract in order to get him off the books?

Please no we've wasted enough on him surely. Unbelievable waste of money. He has also stated in the press that he doesn't want to dwell on his career at Leicester and had nothing more to say. Well Islam neither do we.!

5 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Have you ever taken a dump so big, that while you're still sitting on the shitter, you get a stench so strong, that you realise the end of it is poking above the surface of the water? It has nowhere else to go. You naturally do a courtesy flush for yourself, but when the flush is complete, the log hasn't shifted at all, such is the size of this beast. You try again, but only in vain. Third time lucky, you think. Sadly, you'd be mistaken on this occasion. You decide that the next logical step is to arm yourself with your trusty toilet brush to tackle this stubborn foe. You flush yet again, but this time attempt to give the monster a helping hand around the u-bend with your weapon of choice. The turd is battle damaged, and the muddy water represents real progress, but still the lion's share of the enemy remains intact. You try again, but this time, with one hand attacking the dirt snake, with the other hand you pump the flush handle all the way through the process to achieve more firepower. As the sound of the cistern filling fades away, to your triumph, you look to see only a vague footprint of what once was. What is left of this gruelling saga is now only a brief formality. The dragon has at last been bravely slayed.

AWESOME ACCOUNT 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Do these coaches at Lyon and Monaco also know more than Rodgers and his coaching team? Or is it maybe just that a player could do ok in the French league but just not be good enough for a team challenging at the top of the premier league. I mean another example might be PSG (arguably the best team in France) signing Choupo Moting who didnt exactly pull up trees at Stoke. Actually no idea how hes ended up at Bayern, he must have an amazing agent. But anyway, the point remains that he was never a good fit here and was not fancied by any of our managers other than Ranieri. Best all round that we have him off our wage bill and it seems Rudkin and the scouting team have learnt from that horrific transfer window after we won the league as we have done much better since. 

I agree with most of this he wasn't a good fit here (bit of a poison chalice though signing as a striker for Leicester City behind a 28 year Jamie Vardy). I just don't think hes completely useless like a lot on here seem to think. 

Yes he was limited and you have to play to his strengths but if you do he is absolutely lethal like at Monaco last year. 

Yes he will go down as a terrible signing but I don't think he's a terrible player even at Leicester where it wasn't a fit at all he still ended up with far more goals and assists per minute in the Premier league than Ulloa, Nugent or Okazaki who are all stone cold hero's here. 

But anyway he's gone. Pointless arguing over him anymore. Let's hope the club get the next big money striker signing right as there less margin for error than in summer of 16 with Vardys age. 

5 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Who would have thought Mendy would be the last man standing from the summer 2016 window?

432067345_ScreenShot2021-01-13at3_42_12PM.png.216bac5c4d39219fed261bc43321fe4a.png

He's only the 5th worse signing of this lot, let alone the clubs history.