stu

Official - Slimani joins OL

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Same. I had thought that he would be a good plan B, given his aerial ability, when things were not working out. He was first described as being much like Vardy, in his mentality, work rate, and willingness to defend from the front lol

Only shite teams at the bottom of the league need a 'plan b' ie lump the ball forward to a big lump? How many teams at the top of the league that we are competing with have a big lump up front? None. It is not the Rodgers way and I feel some people on here confuse our need for another striker with a "plan b". We need a striker yes. We dont need a big lump to smash long balls forward to when things arent going our way. That is what teams like Burnley and Sheff utd do and there is a reason for that  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Should have finished that sentence there.

Now just seen the "plan b" nonsense isnt just limited to people on Facebook but also people on here. Think some of our fans must think we are in a relegation battle rather than a champions league place battle. The mind boggles. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Now just seen the "plan b" nonsense isnt just limited to people on Facebook but also people on here. Think some of our fans must think we are in a relegation battle rather than a champions league place battle. The mind boggles. 

In my mind it makes sense when we are chasing a game and  tip-tapping around in front of a low block looking like we are never going to score to try something different.  The big lump off the bench and crosses into the box approach, just for the last ten minutes if plan A isn't working and we have all seen those kind of games. 

I'm sure that no one would advocate following in the hoof prints of Sheff Utd or Burnley as a matter of course.  However, we do have a pretty good record of scoring late goals under BR so perhaps he knows best after all.

If it wasn't for the horrendous deal we got, I think he wouldn't be seen in such negative view. He was OK for us on the pitch and his record is decent. But every striker is doomed to fail when we have Vardy who's rarely been out injured. That's Wood, Ulloa, Kramaric, Okazaki, Slimani, Musa (if you can count him) and frankly Perez & Iheanacho who have failed to dislodge him.

We shouldn't forget he scored some important goals, especially his 94 minute penalty goal, that saved us from an embarrassing lose against Middlesbrough 2016  OK it does not justify a 30 million fee, but saved me from a son in tears if we'd had lost 😂 

3 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Was Raúl Uche a u23 signing ? Never heard anything of him 

Yeah, he was loaned out to some Spanish B side a couple of years ago, but like so many didn't impress enough here.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Who would have thought Mendy would be the last man standing from the summer 2016 window?

432067345_ScreenShot2021-01-13at3_42_12PM.png.216bac5c4d39219fed261bc43321fe4a.png

Ignore me*

Edited by AjcW
21 minutes ago, murphy said:

In my mind it makes sense when we are chasing a game and  tip-tapping around in front of a low block looking like we are never going to score to try something different.  The big lump off the bench and crosses into the box approach, just for the last ten minutes if plan A isn't working and we have all seen those kind of games. 

I'm sure that no one would advocate following in the hoof prints of Sheff Utd or Burnley as a matter of course.  However, we do have a pretty good record of scoring late goals under BR so perhaps he knows best after all.

He seems like he is trying to get us playing like Man City and liverpool who have also had games when they have struggled to score against a low block but they dont lump balls forward either or throw on a big striker. We definitely need 1 or 2 more attacking options and players that can offer us something different, but I just dont think a big striker is the answer. Of course, if there is a technically gifted player who can score goals and is over 6ft then great, get them in but some people just seem hell bent on us having a big striker, when none of the teams we are competing against have this as an option. 

Unpopular view it might be but we were lucky to have him for the 2016-17 season. When Vardy was stuck in a rut Slimani's goals kept us above the relegation zone. 

It's not what we paid such a huge sum for him on but he did repay something of his huge fee.Not all mind.

It was the last game of that season  though v Bournemouth that did for him. He missed chance after chance that day and never really recovered from it.

Sad way for it to end like this but he's had no presence here the last 3 seasons. Both parties will be glad to have closure on the matter.

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Ignore me*

I suspect that you originally said something like, "No he's (Slimani's) not - Mendy's still here," before realising they were talking about Mendy, not Slimani. How close am I?

(I nearly made the same mistake myself)

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Have you ever taken a dump so big, that while you're still sitting on the shitter, you get a stench so strong, that you realise the end of it is poking above the surface of the water? It has nowhere else to go. You naturally do a courtesy flush for yourself, but when the flush is complete, the log hasn't shifted at all, such is the size of this beast. You try again, but only in vain. Third time lucky, you think. Sadly, you'd be mistaken on this occasion. You decide that the next logical step is to arm yourself with your trusty toilet brush to tackle this stubborn foe. You flush yet again, but this time attempt to give the monster a helping hand around the u-bend with your weapon of choice. The turd is battle damaged, and the muddy water represents real progress, but still the lion's share of the enemy remains intact. You try again, but this time, with one hand attacking the dirt snake, with the other hand you pump the flush handle all the way through the process to achieve more firepower. As the sound of the cistern filling fades away, to your triumph, you look to see only a vague footprint of what once was. What is left of this gruelling saga is now only a brief formality. The dragon has at last been bravely slayed.

lol:appl:

That's the best analogy I've ever read

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I suspect that you originally said something like, "No he's (Slimani's) not - Mendy's still here," before realising they were talking about Mendy, not Slimani. How close am I?

(I nearly made the same mistake myself)

No I put Wilf and then realised they’d said Summer lol 

• Haha 1

Have you ever taken a dump so big, that while you're still sitting on the shitter, you get a stench so strong, that you realise the end of it is poking above the surface of the water? It has nowhere else to go. You naturally do a courtesy flush for yourself, but when the flush is complete, the log hasn't shifted at all, such is the size of this beast. You try again, but only in vain. Third time lucky, you think. Sadly, you'd be mistaken on this occasion. You decide that the next logical step is to arm yourself with your trusty toilet brush to tackle this stubborn foe. You flush yet again, but this time attempt to give the monster a helping hand around the u-bend with your weapon of choice. The turd is battle damaged, and the muddy water represents real progress, but still the lion's share of the enemy remains intact. You try again, but this time, with one hand attacking the dirt snake, with the other hand you pump the flush handle all the way through the process to achieve more firepower. As the sound of the cistern filling fades away, to your triumph, you look to see only a vague footprint of what once was. What is left of this gruelling saga is now only a brief formality. The dragon has at last been bravely slayed.

This is the greatest post in foxestalk history. Im

actually in pain lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Who would have thought Mendy would be the last man standing from the summer 2016 window?

432067345_ScreenShot2021-01-13at3_42_12PM.png.216bac5c4d39219fed261bc43321fe4a.png

That's one summer window? Thats nuts. Never seen that many players purchased in one summer. Why?

49 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Only shite teams at the bottom of the league need a 'plan b' ie lump the ball forward to a big lump? How many teams at the top of the league that we are competing with have a big lump up front? None. It is not the Rodgers way and I feel some people on here confuse our need for another striker with a "plan b". We need a striker yes. We dont need a big lump to smash long balls forward to when things arent going our way. That is what teams like Burnley and Sheff utd do and there is a reason for that  

That seems like hindsight 20/20. He was brought in at a time long before Brendan Rodgers, possession based football, and creative midfielders that can break down teams that sit back and defend. We did need a plan B, because we got found out the season after we won the title, and we had no other ways of playing besides "plan A l, but better."

Wasting 5 figures a week on Slimani's wages over the past few years is money well spent just to receive this gift of a post.

• Thanks 1

Funny how he keeps on getting signed for decent clubs despite so many people on here thinking he's absolutely useless. 

It's almost as if the highly professional, skilled and experienced coaching and scouting outfits at Lyon and Monaco know more about players than a bunch of middle aged blokes from places like Shepshed, Coalville and Blaby (no offence to those towns btw!)