Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Under - back to Roma?

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I must admit, I can't see why else Rodgers hasn't been using him off the bench in recent weeks. I did think it was odd. Yes, he's been injured here and there but vs Newcastle and Southampton, Ünder coming on to turn the screw was the obvious call and we left him out. It will be a big sell to get him to sign permanently if we don't start using him even as an impact player and if we aren't using him because we possibly don't want to make it a permanent signing in the summer then let him go and go and get another winger in.

Interesting to see if he’s saving up the appearances for later down the line. I can’t see that we would want to be tied into purchasing him until we get to the business end of the season. 

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

Interesting to see if he’s saving up the appearances for later down the line. I can’t see that we would want to be tied into purchasing him until we get to the business end of the season. 

But we must have known this in the summer as we had pretty much agreed to the loan with an obligation to buy but then changed it last minute to a loan with an option. I assume this was to give us that security if he got a bad injury as he has had injury problems in recent years. If it was more to be able to have a player for a season and then send him back then why agree to a deal whereby he can only play a relatively modest amount of games before we are then obligated to buy him. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But we must have known this in the summer as we had pretty much agreed to the loan with an obligation to buy but then changed it last minute to a loan with an option. I assume this was to give us that security if he got a bad injury as he has had injury problems in recent years. If it was more to be able to have a player for a season and then send him back then why agree to a deal whereby he can only play a relatively modest amount of games before we are then obligated to buy him. 

Could be that he was the player we wanted as he was the only one available on loan that fit the profile of player we were searching for. Combined with Roma only letting him go if there was some form of obligation to buy in there? I personally don’t think Ünder will be here next season, just my opinion but can’t see it with other options available in the summer. 

• Like 2

On 18/01/2021 at 17:46, Collymore said:

I'm always amazed how people manage to get the 2 dots above the U. It shows proper commitment to the forum and a high level of keyboard knowledge. Well done sir. 

On a Mac or any Apple device you just hold down the U key. Ëäšÿ pëäšÿ.

• Like 3

If BR isnt confident (which he doesn't seem to be) then why doesn't he send him back to Roma and go for Thauvin who's been told that he can leave the club this window? 

Roma have apparently made a contract offer for Thauvin - four-years at €2.8million net per season, therefore a total financial commitment of just over €11m or €22m gross. Surely it would be daylight robbery if we didnt go for him. I'd still prefer to give Under a go but its BR's views on him that seem to be an issue. 

17 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If BR isnt confident (which he doesn't seem to be) then why doesn't he send him back to Roma and go for Thauvin who's been told that he can leave the club this window? 

Roma have apparently made a contract offer for Thauvin - four-years at €2.8million net per season, therefore a total financial commitment of just over €11m or €22m gross. Surely it would be daylight robbery if we didnt go for him. I'd still prefer to give Under a go but its BR's views on him that seem to be an issue. 

Thauvin is available this window, but for £18m. Nobody's paying that when his contract's up in a few months.

I'm not sure that Rodgers doesn't rate Under. I doubt we'll be forking out £20-odd million for him, but it could just be a case of getting him fit and adjusted to PL football. He may still play a part in the second half of the season.

I think there will be a lot of free or dirt cheap players around this summer. The French league, for one, is struggling financially and will be raided for players.

He's a different type of player to what we got though and worth keeping for that reason.

In modern statto anorak football fan language: If we're struggling to break down a stubborn defensive low block who better to cut in from the wing and stick a curler in the top bins?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Thauvin is available this window, but for £18m. Nobody's paying that when his contract's up in a few months.

I'm not sure that Rodgers doesn't rate Under. I doubt we'll be forking out £20-odd million for him, but it could just be a case of getting him fit and adjusted to PL football. He may still play a part in the second half of the season.

I think there will be a lot of free or dirt cheap players around this summer. The French league, for one, is struggling financially and will be raided for players.

Its being reported that Roma will accept €11mil. I really rate Under and have watched all of his games but at the same time I'm frustrated because if Under is match fit then why isnt he taking Perez's place... although I get that Perez can play more centrally too. It's just a waste of money for me. 

Cheers for the advice on the likely transfer situation..

In my opinion I don’t think BR necessarily doesn’t rate him. The change to a back 4 coincided with Ünder’s injury and then since he’s been fit again Marc has been undroppable simple as that. Might have made more sub appearances in the last couple of games but each time we have been looking to protect a lead so makes no sense to bring Ünder on for Marc when the latter is more defensively astute. I guess we’ll see whether Brendan rates him or not over the next couple of weeks as we will likely need virtually 2 sides with 2 games a week similar to how we rotated in the EL at the start of the season. Ie. One team midweek and the other at the weekend depending on opposition.

Schmeichel 

Castagne  - Fofana - Evans - Justin 

Albrighton - Ndidi - Tielemans - Barnes 

Maddison 

Vardy 

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Evans - Söyüncü - JJ/ TC

WN/ NM - Tielemans 

Ünder     -     Perez     -     HB/ MA

JV / KI

I still think he can come good here and offer us a genuine different option, but time will tell. 

• Like 2

We are all talking about wether or not we should keep him. Has anyone thought that he might not want to stay? 

For whatever reason, he's not getting time on the pitch and I doubt he's content with the game time that he IS getting. 

• Like 1

His game time has been restricted due to 1. playing without wingers earlier in the season due to the injury crisis 2. Albrighton playing so well 3. Recent injuries 4. Rodgers not seeing him as a player to bring on where we are narrowly winning and need to close the game out (Newcastle, Southampton etc.) 

Almost all his appearances in the Prem were in games where we were either losing or level. With Albrighton playing so well I can only see him being started in the cups and brought on as an impact sub in the Prem games, unless Albrighton is injured or needs resting. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turlo said:

His game time has been restricted due to 1. playing without wingers earlier in the season due to the injury crisis 2. Albrighton playing so well 3. Recent injuries 4. Rodgers not seeing him as a player to bring on where we are narrowly winning and need to close the game out (Newcastle, Southampton etc.) 

Almost all his appearances in the Prem were in games where we were either losing or level. With Albrighton playing so well I can only see him being started in the cups and brought on as an impact sub in the Prem games, unless Albrighton is injured or needs resting. 

With Rodgers saying today that Pereira is likely to be moved to a right wing position, as an alternative to Albrighton, I think Under's days with us are even more numbered than they were.  If there is a limit on a number of apperances before a compulsory buy clause is triggered, the rumours about a return to Roma this month could be happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bald reynard said:

With Rodgers saying today that Pereira is likely to be moved to a right wing position, as an alternative to Albrighton, I think Under's days with us are even more numbered than they were.  If there is a limit on a number of apperances before a compulsory buy clause is triggered, the rumours about a return to Roma this month could be happening.

Do you have a link for this please?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

In my opinion I don’t think BR necessarily doesn’t rate him. The change to a back 4 coincided with Ünder’s injury and then since he’s been fit again Marc has been undroppable simple as that. Might have made more sub appearances in the last couple of games but each time we have been looking to protect a lead so makes no sense to bring Ünder on for Marc when the latter is more defensively astute. I guess we’ll see whether Brendan rates him or not over the next couple of weeks as we will likely need virtually 2 sides with 2 games a week similar to how we rotated in the EL at the start of the season. Ie. One team midweek and the other at the weekend depending on opposition.

Schmeichel 

Castagne  - Fofana - Evans - Justin 

Albrighton - Ndidi - Tielemans - Barnes 

Maddison 

Vardy 

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Evans - Söyüncü - JJ/ TC

WN/ NM - Tielemans 

Ünder     -     Perez     -     HB/ MA

JV / KI

I still think he can come good here and offer us a genuine different option, but time will tell. 

This. 

It will be interesting to see if he features vs Brentford this weekend. If not, I think he’ll be back off to Roma as it’s a big chance to rotate for rest and also for some other players to get an opportunity.