Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

FA Cup quarter finals draw (United at home)

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The games take place on 20/21st March which is when we play Burnley away. So that'll get moved. Then the game after that is Man City at home, after the Internationals... 

yes, this means we only have 2 league games in the whole of March. 3 games in total if we exit the Europa. It does at least give us a chance of entering the run in with a fully fit and reasonably fresh squad 

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's an Irish show, really. We can't take the "credit" for that one.

Oh yes -- as an American, understanding (or even discovering) what is English vs Scottish vs Irish (vs Northern Irish?) is another endeavor entirely.  :) 

16 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

This is quite off-topic, so please feel free to skip to the next post.

One of the things I actually enjoy about this forum (and the British version of English as well) is trying, as a Yank, to figure out WTF people are actually saying.

Thank goodness google and/or British slang pages typically give me the answer.

Examples:

(British -- American)

Zimmer Frame -- walker

Poundland -- dollar store

Tesco -- grocery store

Tannoy -- loudspeaker in the stadium

Mrs. Brown's Boys -- UK sitcom

Back in the early days of the Internet ('98/'99 time frame) I was madly trying to figure out what the heck the 'FA Cup' was.  I knew no one who had any knowledge of English football and google was not a household name back then.  Eventually figured it out.

Hello mate, nice to hear that you're enjoyiing it, what is your personnel preferred word for our beloved game over there, Soccer or Football?

6 minutes ago, melrose said:

Hello mate, nice to hear that you're enjoyiing it, what is your personnel preferred word for our beloved game over there, Soccer or Football?

If you want to communicate concisely to an American, in America, you have to call it soccer.  Otherwise you must engage in a multi-minute discussion/explanation of terms, and it typically isn't worth the time and effort.

I am perfectly happy with the terms 'football' or 'footy' for the worldwide game, and 'American football' for the other game.  Hand-egg is also quite descriptive...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

Oh yes -- as an American, understanding (or even discovering) what is English vs Scottish vs Irish (vs Northern Irish?) is another endeavor entirely.  :)

You're probably technically right. It probably is made in the UK, but the fella who writes it and stars in it is Irish. I think most of the cast is Irish, as well. If you haven't seen it, you haven't missed anything. Trust me.

Yes, you are right to differentiate between Irish and Northern Irish, but I won't get into that right now. lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

If you want to communicate concisely to an American, in America, you have to call it soccer.  Otherwise you must engage in a multi-minute discussion/explanation of terms, and it typically isn't worth the time and effort.

I am perfectly happy with the terms 'football' or 'footy' for the worldwide game, and 'American football' for the other game.  Hand-egg is also quite descriptive...

I thought as much, even more so at this time of year just after the Superbowl I suppose!

How's things this winter in Colorado? I bet every where is like the Overlook Hotel this Winter! 

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

If it's Bournemouth, at home please. Our record is absolute toilet at the Vitality - haven't beaten them since Kev got his Zimmer Frame out for us. :whistle:

ur0sDMo.gif

Kev Phillips def belongs in ‘I Forgot He Played For Us ‘ thread

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, melrose said:

I thought as much, even more so at this time of year just after the Superbowl I suppose!

How's things this winter in Colorado? I bet every where is like the Overlook Hotel this Winter! 

OK, last off-topic message in this thread, I promise!

This season in Colorado, the mountains have gotten good snow, the eastern plains (where the major cities are) not so much.

In general (with the occasional major exception) snowfall varies with altitude.  Ski areas at 8000 - 10500 feet above sea level get reliable snow.  My house at about 6800 feet gets less.  Denver at 5280 feet, even less.

1 minute ago, lnkstern said:

OK, last off-topic message in this thread, I promise!

This season in Colorado, the mountains have gotten good snow, the eastern plains (where the major cities are) not so much.

In general (with the occasional major exception) snowfall varies with altitude.  Ski areas at 8000 - 10500 feet above sea level get reliable snow.  My house at about 6800 feet gets less.  Denver at 5280 feet, even less.

Thank you kind sir from the north west for that interesting info, much appreciated!

If you and I converse again I will stick to matters LCFC ... I promise!

Take care and stay safe :scarf:

• Like 1