Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

FA Cup quarter finals draw (United at home)

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Gonna be optimistic:

Chelsea vs Everton

Man City vs Man U

Sheff Utd vs Leicester

Wolves/Southampton vs Bournemouth

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Realistically:

Bournemouth vs Man Utd

Chelsea vs Sheff Utd

Leicester vs Man City

Wolves/Southampton vs Everton

Have Barnsley conceded their match with Chelsea? What happened to the old magic of FA Cup?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lnkstern said:

Oh yes -- as an American, understanding (or even discovering) what is English vs Scottish vs Irish (vs Northern Irish?) is another endeavor entirely.  :) 

It's made by the Irish, produced by BBC Wales, filmed in Scotland and appreciated by the terminally thick wherever they might be. 

And, let's face it,  that's pretty much everywhere. 

10 hours ago, lnkstern said:

This is quite off-topic, so please feel free to skip to the next post.

One of the things I actually enjoy about this forum (and the British version of English as well) is trying, as a Yank, to figure out WTF people are actually saying.

Thank goodness google and/or British slang pages typically give me the answer.

Examples:

(British -- American)

Zimmer Frame -- walker

Poundland -- dollar store

Tesco -- grocery store

Tannoy -- loudspeaker in the stadium

Mrs. Brown's Boys -- UK sitcom

Back in the early days of the Internet ('98/'99 time frame) I was madly trying to figure out what the heck the 'FA Cup' was.  I knew no one who had any knowledge of English football and google was not a household name back then.  Eventually figured it out.

It's the same for us when we visit the States:

USA                        UK

Chips                     Crisps

Fries                       Chips

Hood (of car)          Bonnet

Trunk (of car)         Boot

Cigarette                Fag (imagine being asked for/offered a fag...)

Soccer                   Football

Football                 Rugby for softies

My own personal favourite is what Trump means over here (I'll let you Google it)

There are literally hundreds more; as George Bernard Shaw (probably) said: "...two countries divided by a common language"

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 1

Gonna put money on us drawing Man City so at least there's a sweetener when it happens. You know its inevitable. The sickener is back in the Championship days we drew them and loved it. Now its an absolute chore to usually draw the hardest team every time we make the QFs of the cup.

The exception was getting Villa last season and we completely blew it, still boiling my blood thinking about it.....

Does it fuching matter?  Beat whoever is in front of us and win the cup. 

However, it’ll be Man City at some point and our journey will end with Jamie Vardy smashing in two VAR awarded penalties and then running over to tea bag Pep. 

be just our luck. Win the FA CUP once when no fans are allowed in. 

11 hours ago, lnkstern said:

This is quite off-topic, so please feel free to skip to the next post.

One of the things I actually enjoy about this forum (and the British version of English as well) is trying, as a Yank, to figure out WTF people are actually saying.

Thank goodness google and/or British slang pages typically give me the answer.

Examples:

(British -- American)

Zimmer Frame -- walker

Poundland -- dollar store

Tesco -- grocery store

Tannoy -- loudspeaker in the stadium

Mrs. Brown's Boys -- UK sitcom

Back in the early days of the Internet ('98/'99 time frame) I was madly trying to figure out what the heck the 'FA Cup' was.  I knew no one who had any knowledge of English football and google was not a household name back then.  Eventually figured it out.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Are the 'Big 6' actually taking this competition seriously?   Liverpool, Spuds and Arsenal appear to be gearing up for the new ESP early ?

Pep always takes the cup competitions seriously, though it helps to have the most expensive roster in the league.

20 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Are the 'Big 6' actually taking this competition seriously?   Liverpool, Spuds and Arsenal appear to be gearing up for the new ESP early ?

People have been saying for years that the “big 6” don’t take the FA Cup seriously. The trouble is they keep having a sneaky habit of still winning it as only two exceptions in the last 25 years will attest 

• Like 1