Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

Next ‘big star’ to be sold?

If you had a sell one key player and get decent money, who would it be? We all know that’s part of the strategy of the football club. But it’s an uncomfortable question, particularly with this squad.

I’m loathed to put anyone forward for this, but I’ve been thinking about it and I think the area where we have the most depth is full back.

Ricardo is approaching his late 20s, and won’t be as effective as he has been for much longer. And after his injury we don’t yet know if he’ll get back to being borderline world class (as I’ve seen him described on here). Plus in the first half of this season we did very well without him. So if we could get good money I’d be tempted to sell him... :ph34r:

We won't get a say in it. I don't want anyone to be sold and if we qualify for the CL we won't need to sell anyone for money and nobody will want to leave for Chelsea or Man Utd. Man City and Liverpool are a different kettle of fish but I don't think any of our players will be on their radar.

Most likely to be next to go will be Maddison to an English club if we fail to get CL football or drop off significantly next season or Fofana to a European club as long as he continues his progress.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm not convinced. All the players we have sold have wanted to go coupled with a healthy offer.

I don't believe we're actively touting our best players out there for sale. You're also assuming that we have players that want to leave.

Obviously if an acceptable offer comes in and the player wants to leave then our strategy would be not to keep unhappy players. We tried that with Mahrez but he made it absolutely clear he wanted out.

So yeah we will sell players even the Rich 6 do if the offer is acceptable and if the player wants to go.

Perhaps the question should be which player do you think another club will be desperate to get and the player will see it as a good move for them. 

That being said I think Ndidi will be most in demand.

You're right, it's a myth it's a part of the strategy. We didn't want Kante or Mahrez to go, nor did we want Maguire to go really. Chilwell I believe we were slightly more open to selling, but it's not an active part of the strategy.

This summer I think we won't- no one will have the money to pay a crazy fee and I think there's plenty of players with 12 months to go on their contracts and freebies.

It's not entirely down to us, it's about interest. Like @davieG says, there does have to be substantial interest.

If we don't finish top four, you'll probably find teams sniffing around half our midfield and defence tbf. 

We'll more than likely need to cash in on someone to do any decent amount of reinvesting. 

I don't think we will sell this summer - if we do it'll be Ricardo but I just don't think we would get the fee post performances and injury that'd be worth doing it.

I would expect bids for Ndidi, Madders, Tielemans and maybe Fofana but if we want to keep BR here at the club then I don't think offers on those players should or will be entertained.

I wonder if Praet will stay and may want football week in and week out, Mendy has probably done enough to earn another year as has Amartey but obviously Fuchs and Morgan I would imagine will both exit.

If we were to get 50 plus for Riccy P, we need a new winger (still), another striker (sadly), and a player who can do a very competitive job in both creative and attacking midfield - a proper box to box energiser bunny. I'm not sure the funds will stretch to that either from sale or wage savings - depends on the TV money we get I guess and how far we go in the cups.

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

I don't think we will sell this summer - if we do it'll be Ricardo but I just don't think we would get the fee post performances and injury that'd be worth doing it.

I would expect bids for Ndidi, Madders, Tielemans and maybe Fofana but if we want to keep BR here at the club then I don't think offers on those players should or will be entertained.

I wonder if Praet will stay and may want football week in and week out, Mendy has probably done enough to earn another year as has Amartey but obviously Fuchs and Morgan I would imagine will both exit.

If we were to get 50 plus for Riccy P, we need a new winger (still), another striker (sadly), and a player who can do a very competitive job in both creative and attacking midfield - a proper box to box energiser bunny. I'm not sure the funds will stretch to that either from sale or wage savings - depends on the TV money we get I guess and how far we go in the cups.

Mendy is contracted until 2023 now, I think

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

You're right, it's a myth it's a part of the strategy. We didn't want Kante or Mahrez to go, nor did we want Maguire to go really. Chilwell I believe we were slightly more open to selling, but it's not an active part of the strategy.

This summer I think we won't- no one will have the money to pay a crazy fee and I think there's plenty of players with 12 months to go on their contracts and freebies.

It's not a myth, it's plainly in front of you. We very rarely spend much more than what we've made back in player sales with the exception of reinvesting the Champions League money but even then we'd sold Kante and Drinkwater. 

Like I said, we clearly don't pick a player every year, wave a flag to the other clubs and say "start bidding!" but it's clearly part of the model here to accept that we can't hold on to everyone and to stagger the losses by letting someone go at the peak of their value every year so we can spend. 

It's been the trend for years now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is the crux, for those saying we shouldn't be selling our saleable assets, would they be happy planning for a new forward from the bargain or up and coming section?

Well there's almost certainly a budding up and coming prolific striker somewhere the problem is finding them before anyone else.  I think that is part of our strategy as can be seen buy our recent acquisition but I doubt it's cast in stone.

Just now, davieG said:

Well there's almost certainly a budding up and coming prolific striker somewhere the problem is finding them before anyone else.  I think that is part of our strategy as can be seen buy our recent acquisition but I doubt it's cast in stone.

For sure this is the ideal, and I am not saying find the next Vardy as that would be extremely difficult, more than perhaps a prospect and more of a sure thing (Maybe that is Ian though)

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not a myth, it's plainly in front of you. We very rarely spend much more than what we've made back in player sales with the exception of reinvesting the Champions League money but even then we'd sold Kante and Drinkwater. 

Like I said, we clearly don't pick a player every year, wave a flag to the other clubs and say "start bidding!" but it's clearly part of the model here to accept that we can't hold on to everyone and to stagger the losses by letting someone go at the peak of their value every year so we can spend. 

Why then did we spend the last week of last year's summer transfer window trying to get a maguire replacement? It's not an active part of the strategy, we have done when the price is right and we view the player as replaceable or the situation untenable. All the players we've sold have had very differing circumstances. 

We won’t get £50m plus for Ricky. Chilwell who was a young, English player being bought by a club with money to burn and he only went for £45m. I think if we do sell Ricky, it’ll be because he wants to go and we’ll get £35-40m I imagine.

I still think Ndidi’s ball playing ability isn’t good enough for one of the top top clubs. If you look at all the players those clubs have their currently in that position, their first role is to dictate the game (Kimmich, Veratti, Busquets, Rodri etc) whereas that isn’t wilfs job.

Maddison is a difficult one because I don’t know where he’d go? Doesn’t seem like any foreign clubs would be interested and can’t see who in the prem would wanna pay his premium when there’s also grealish. 

I think fofana will be off in a year or two for a world record sum. It’s clear already how good he is. He makes mistakes but then also learns from them, only just turned 20 as well. Think we could be looking at £100m plus.

I think it is part of our strategy because I'm hard pressed to see how we could have afforded to put together this squad without moving a few players on for ridiculous fees. 

We have a situation where Ricardo, Soyuncu and Tielemans have 2 years left on their contracts come the summer. The latter 2 are still very young that should we not tie them down by the summer that we probably can go in to next season still negotiating but Ricardo's value will diminish a but quicker and we don't want to be in a position where any of those 3 end up going for less than £50m each.

I think Riccy was destined for one of Europe's elite before his injury but now I'm not so sure, I think he'd be tempted to stay.

Theres no obvious high value asset that I think we could lose and it not effect us, not now Justin is out for a year and Castagne picking up numerous niggling injuries. Soyuncu has also come back in and been a beast again. Dont even get me started on the possibility of losing Tielemans or Ndidi, no way.

So we simply have to get top 4 or win the EL. We need 3-4 new players but as @Chocolate Teapot said there's probably enough players on a free or with a year on their deals left so that we only end up needing to spend £30-40m max. We can then focus entirely on getting new contracts to the majority of the 1st team. Barnes and Ndidi also are due hefty pay rises. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell all wanted to leave. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been sold. If none of our top players want to leave this summer, they won't. 

• Like 1