Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

Next ‘big star’ to be sold?

If it HAD to be one, it would be Ricardo for me. He's the one we would miss the least with the FB options we have. 

I would sign Sessegnon from Spurs if he was available for a decent fee and have the options of him, Thomas, JJ and Timmy. 

The Justin injury changes things a bit. I'd have said Ricardo would have been the one to go but with JJ being out, as well as Ricardo needing to prove his own fitness, it makes less sense for us as the fee he'd command wouldn't be near what we were looking at this time last year.

Controversial one, but if we have to sell to buy, and someone came in with ludicrous money for Fofana (£90/100m) I'd consider it. We're ok at centre half, the starting xi isn't made immediately weaker, and I trust our recruitment to get a decent replacement for a fraction of the money, and it leaves us with money to spare for strengthening.

After that, if someone was prepared to put down big cash for Maddison that'd be one of the least worst options 

Ndidi, Tielemans and now Barnes are the absolute keys to keep if we can.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

I think we'll get away with selling no-one this summer, can't see anyone paying the kind of fee we'd want for any of our best players. 

Soyuncu and Tielemans most likely but there has never been any rumoured interest from anyone. The biggest clubs probably won't want to spend on Ndidi, as they focus their finances elsewhere. Maddison is most likely to talk himself up but don't see any interest. 

A big season from Fofana next season and we will struggle to keep him. 

Tielemans. Without a doubt would fit into many top sides in Europe not just England. Not sure about Ricardo. Need to see if he will be the same player as pre injury.

Lost of clubs looking at centre backs too so Soyuncu also a possibility.

This is why a top 4  finish is so much more important than winning the FA Cup. We've already seen the income one season in the Champions League can provide. Without it we will have to sell to buy.

28 minutes ago, murphy said:

85% of our turnover is tied up in wages I believe.  It's our only way of generating a decent transfer budget and goes to show that we are nowhere near the big six despite our league position.

Yet we have got players spurs and arsenal wanted:nono:

I like to think we have a smart bunch of players who won't go chasing the money, yes we cannot compete on wages but I feel this team has a hunger and desire to win rather then earn big money.

Can't see Maddison, Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu,Tielemans, Barnes or Justin going anywhere for some time. Fofana may be the exception but I could be wrong about him.

44 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Honestly if you lot think Rudkin sits in an office in Seagrave with a pinboard looking at how much he'd get for the best players in our squad and where he's selling them to you're sadly mistaken 

I don’t think anyone is insinuating that mate. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

It's not a myth, it's plainly in front of you. We very rarely spend much more than what we've made back in player sales with the exception of reinvesting the Champions League money but even then we'd sold Kante and Drinkwater. 

Like I said, we clearly don't pick a player every year, wave a flag to the other clubs and say "start bidding!" but it's clearly part of the model here to accept that we can't hold on to everyone and to stagger the losses by letting someone go at the peak of their value every year so we can spend. 

It's been the trend for years now. 

I think we do indirectly - individual and team performances are often so stand out people want our players!

I doubt it'll be anyone this summer. I can see clubs being linked with Harvey and Maddison, especially if either get some england appearances. I just can't see us selling atm with how tight finances are and the fact we're gonna be going balls out for a Vardy replacement this summer

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Ricardo is approaching his late 20s, and won’t be as effective as he has been for much longer. And after his injury we don’t yet know if he’ll get back to being borderline world class (as I’ve seen him described on here). Plus in the first half of this season we did very well without him. So if we could get good money I’d be tempted to sell him... :ph34r:

He's just turned 27 so his best years are still ahead of him as long as he fully recovers from the ACL.

Hopefully no one will leave especially should we make Europe again..

That said, we have plenty of assets that would command big fees

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

We roughly spent £110m on these

Now worth £300m +

3 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Hopefully no one will leave especially should we make Europe again..

That said, we have plenty of assets that would command big fees

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

We roughly spent £110m on these

Now worth £300m +

and that's just Ndidi

Just now, AKCJ said:

Could probably name you 15 players i'd want us to sell before Maddison.

Well, me too. None of them would generate £50m for us though.

I always suspected that we signed Castagne as opposed to Tagliafico because we were going to sell Ricardo. We assumed that JJ was signed to replace Ricardo (which he might still do), but then ended up replacing Chilwell instead. Given that JJ played left back for Luton for 3/4 of a season, it maybe should not be such a surprise. So given his age and ability, I expect him to be the next to go.

In general the club seems to sign a player for someone we sell 12-24 months before that player goes, see Soyuncu and JJ as recent examples.

However, if we reach the Champions League, I think we will keep everyone for next season and many will sign 1-2 year contract extensions. 

What a depressing thread.  I hope we will get Champions League football next season and be looking in excitement of who we are bringing in, not which top star we are going to lose.

If we make top 4 then that means at least one of the bigger clubs haven't.  I don't see Man City wanting any of our players tbh so that then leaves only 2 clubs in England that would be able to sniff around our players. All of the players we have at the moment seem very happy at the club and if we do make top 4 the most important signings will hopefully be contract extensions for the players that got us there.

• Like 4