Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

Next ‘big star’ to be sold?

If we make CL then I think the financial impact of Covid might actually help us in this regard. More or less every team will have to recoup some significant losses you'd imagine, so from that point of view it might be that other teams can't afford our star players - for this summer anyway.

Of course the flipside is that we may have to sell to recoup our own losses so making CL is absolutely critical this year imho.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Seems to be a thing now that as soon as we uncover a star player(s) we start discussing their market worth and how much the club could sell them for. Don't know if other fan bases do this. 

We are so tin pot. 

Tea pot more like it. Anyway, who cares?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Seems to be a thing now that as soon as we uncover a star player(s) we start discussing their market worth and how much the club could sell them for. Don't know if other fan bases do this. 

We are so tin pot. 

85% of our turnover is tied up in wages I believe.  It's our only way of generating a decent transfer budget and goes to show that we are nowhere near the big six despite our league position.

20 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Why then did we spend the last week of last year's summer transfer window trying to get a maguire replacement? It's not an active part of the strategy, we have done when the price is right and we view the player as replaceable or the situation untenable. All the players we've sold have had very differing circumstances. 

I'd personally say on the contrary, we attempted to replace Maguire a year before he left because we knew full well we'd be selling him at the end of the season. Benkovic and Soyuncu, two young centre backs brought in and prepped. It didn't work out with one of them, hence Fofana. But the intent was there. 

14 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell all wanted to leave. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been sold. If none of our top players want to leave this summer, they won't. 

Well obviously yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting we force players out of our own club. 

But I also think you're a bit naive if you don't think there's always players who'd like to go. 

If, purely theoretically, Man City came in for Madders or Barnes at the end of the year, I think both are professional enough to carry on with their jobs here if we declined and neither are probably ACTIVELY looking for a way out but if the offer is there you don't think they'd be interested? 

I think people get a little bit hung up on the use of words like plan, model, system or strategy. I don't think anyone's implying the club have some kind of roadmap outlining every Big Star we're going to sell in which window over the next five years. Its clearly happening more organically than that. 

We got the squad we did and have maintained our repeat attempts at European qualification by buying low and selling high. That's not going to stop any time soon. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

Qualifying for the Champions League would be massive for us- I think we'd be able to keep everyone together for another season as well as making our usual 2-3 first team/squad additions.

Getting a lot of the deadwood off the books this year will also help with new contacts.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

85% of our turnover is tied up in wages I believe.  It's our only way of generating a decent transfer budget and goes to show that we are nowhere near the big six despite our league position.

This is why selling a 'star' now to increase capacity and improve hospitality will improve us in the long term. Besides, i have total faith in our scouting network. 

I don't think we'll be able to use the line of 'You thought you took one of our best players ha ha ha!' a la Chilwell/Maguire this summer. 

The players we're realistically going to lose are one of Pereira (on his day the best RB in world football), Ndidi (The best ball winning CDM in the world) or Maddison (Someone who if fulfils his potential is going to be a star). 

Too early for Fofana to be linked with big dogs, and I don't think we'd be willing to let Youri/Barnes go unless the money was ridiculous. 

I think our midfield is so important to the way we play, we can't afford to consider selling any of Wilf, Youri or Maddison.

Central defence, we could probably cope with letting Evans, Soy or little Wes go.

And full back, once JJ recovers, one of those 3.

But midfield - just no. We have back ups in theory, in Praet and Mendy, but in reality, we wouldn't be able to be half as effective.

Also think Harvey is another that needs to be locked down and no offers even considered. 

If we can't take this stance now when we are looking strong contenders to make the CL when will we ever be able to? Let's go for it and collect the £80m from CL qualification instead rather than selling another Maguire. :)

We are so use to the club selling a player for a lot of money, that it has become an expectation, it will all depend on who we want and what we can get for a player!  Last year before the injury I would have said Ricardo, but I'm not so sure after his ACL.  The player I don't want the club to sell is Ndidi, and after that Fofana & Tielemans.

25 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Honestly if you lot think Rudkin sits in an office in Seagrave with a pinboard looking at how much he'd get for the best players in our squad and where he's selling them to you're sadly mistaken 

Of course not but the strategy will be, buy young players for low and improve them, if we get an inflated fee and they want to leave then sell and reinvest at a quicker rate than we ordinarily would have done baring in mind we never spend more than about 50m net a season. They'd not have put together this squad without selling Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell.

Think it would have been Ricardo but with his injury now perhaps not. I think there's a good chance someone comes in for Soyuncu or Fofana, probably Liverpool or a big European club. Doubt we will sell either of them. 

I think we need to get Champs League, if we do we can afford to keep our stars and they will want to stay. 

Pretty much all clubs are selling clubs in fact it's good to let players move on and bring in replacements as it refreshes the team and allows modifications to how we play so we don't get sussed out and can have a positive effect on the players already here. You don't want all your new players to come up through the same academy either.

• Like 3

Think getting CL will play a large role in whether we sell any of the main players or try and sell a couple of squad players to raise money that way. Usually we sell to be able to buy and with the pandemic it is important we sell to be able to balance the books.

Personally little wes or soyuncu would be the ones that could be at risk as they could both fetch massive fees while replacements could be sourced at a fraction of that. Would hate to lose anyone though. As noted above, a couple of 'frees' like otavio could enable us to sell squad players and then use that money for areas we could do with an upgrade like right mid. 

• Like 1

Liverpool need to strengthen their midfield as both Henderson and Wijnaldum are 30 and the latter is rumoured to be moving Barcelona. I can see them bidding for 1 of Youri or Wilf could even try for both

They have some young 1s coming through but with them being so far off the pace of Man C this year they need to make a statement so can see some big money being spent, don’t think we would sell but expect some bids in and then at what point do you say yes.

Man C are the only other team I’d be worried about for trying to tempt either of these 2 away in the Prem anyway.