Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

If it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world.... but letting Spurs end our chances would be pretty horrific... i'd be more annoyed about that than finishing 5th lol 

Personally think Chelsea players mind is on winning the CL and qualifying that way and Liverpool will probably sneak their 4th spot.

Also don't think it's beyond the realms that Burnley do a job on Liverpool, they're much better than West Brom and already beat them in Jan.

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

If it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world.... but letting Spurs end our chances would be pretty horrific... i'd be more annoyed about that than finishing 5th lol 

Personally think Chelsea players mind is on winning the CL and qualifying that way and Liverpool will probably sneak their 4th spot.

Also don't think it's beyond the realms that Burnley do a job on Liverpool, they're much better than West Brom and already beat them in Jan.

I had hopes but being thrashed 4-0 at the weekend, has left me less optimistic about Burnley. I was one saying Liverpool would drop points, but I think the way the WBA game played out, that was the game and they will have enough to get 2 more wins now. 

• Like 1

Just now, KFS said:

I am telling myself that FA cup + EL has the same recruitment pulling power as top four.

Am I deluded?

It's almost as good, but not quite the same.

The thing is, winning trophies is a lure within itself, our PL title was a one off (or looked that way), but now 5 years later we've added something else. We were also in the SF of the League Cup last season, we're becoming a club who regularly challenges for honours (although obviously we're not quite there yet).

Just now, KFS said:

I am telling myself that FA cup + EL has the same recruitment pulling power as top four.

Am I deluded?

Champions league might help persuade a player, but i think too many people are banking on the champions league being the key to spending loads of cash. Given it may be a one time thing, the club aren't going to bank on champions league funds in the long term - it's probably the difference of about either an extra player coming in or a big sale, and maddison might well leave anyway. Commercial revenue is far more sustainable, brands will be all over us now.

• Like 2

The victory on Saturday now gives us the tag of winners - that for all praise and bluster about the great masterplan we’ve done post league title, it does actually work. Which goes a long way in persuading players to join - there’s a whole raft of clubs now including Spurs and Arsenal who we look more attractive than regardless of CL qualification right now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

You mean like the pulling power for signing the current FA Cup winning squad?

No I mean for players coming in.

Take Gosens for example. If he’s said ‘I’ll join if you get CL football’, does he change his mind now seeing we are a team who’ve won something?

Can we retain this current group and attract players based on Saturday’s win? I think so... 

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Champions league might help persuade a player, but i think too many people are banking on the champions league being the key to spending loads of cash. Given it may be a one time thing, the club aren't going to bank on champions league funds in the long term - it's probably the difference of about either an extra player coming in or a big sale, and maddison might well leave anyway. Commercial revenue is far more sustainable, brands will be all over us now.

I don't think it's necessary SPENDING power that comes with the CL but rather an appeal to players.

With the current state of the financial landscape, I image there would be a few decent bargains available. Like Eduoard or Soumare. A reduced fee could likely mean an increased level of interest from competing clubs. Having CL football as a selling point could make all the differance in winning these battles. 

• Like 2

Just now, KFS said:

No I mean for players coming in.

Take Gosens for example. If he’s said ‘I’ll join if you get CL football’, does he change his mind now seeing we are a team who’ve won something?

Can we retain this current group and attract players based on Saturday’s win? I think so... 

Doesn't seem to have been an issue so far and we haven't had Champions League for years now. I wouldn't want any players who are only coming on a ultimatum.

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I don't think it's necessary SPENDING power that comes with the CL but rather an appeal to players.

With the current state of the financial landscape, I image there would be a few decent bargains available. Like Eduoard or Soumare. A reduced fee could likely mean an increased level of interest from competing clubs. Having CL football as a selling point could make all the differance in winning these battles. 

I agree on that, but our pool of players will likely be the same i'd imagine. 

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Am I deluded?

Mentioned this before but looks like Soumare and Eduoard are very close already. Gosens is the one that could be impacted by no UCL but with Justin to come back and Thomas getting better and better, I don't think it's a huge loss and I still think he will fancy our wages over Atlanta's and doubt he will be off to Man U/Chelsea/Man City. What else do we need? A RW - Pereira has been linked, another player who will jump at a move to us with/without UCL imo. Probably need a 4th choice CB to take over from Wes. That won't be impacted by UCL or not imo. 

So overall, on a purely transfer basis in terms of the players arriving, finishing 5th might not have a hugely negative impact. There are other merits to UCL of course, like helping convince Tielemans to sign a new contract etc, but in terms of the 3-4 players coming in, I think we will still do the business we want/need. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

Am I deluded?

The harsh reality is this. If we miss out on Champions League on the last day of the season (again), more people will associate Leicester with being bottlers that than they will with being FA Cup winners. 

Players care about playing in the Champions League. They want to test themselves against the best players/teams in the best competition world football has to offer. We can't keep our best players if we consistently miss out on Champions League football.

The other lesson we learned is that the Europa League is a brutal competition. It weakens your squad in terms of injury/fatigue and makes it difficult to make the top 4 / win the FA cup. We would have been in a really tough position had we beaten Slavia Prague.

In addition, the extra cash is very important. I see a lot of people here dismiss the importance of cash in football. But if it was not important, the "Big 6" wouldn't have tried to break away to the Super League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

The harsh reality is this. If we miss out on Champions League on the last day of the season (again), more people will associate Leicester with being bottlers that than they will with being FA Cup winners. 

Players care about playing in the Champions League. They want to test themselves against the best players/teams in the best competition world football has to offer. We can't keep our best players if we consistently miss out on Champions League football.

The other lesson we learned is that the Europa League is a brutal competition. It weakens your squad in terms of injury/fatigue and makes it difficult to make the top 4 / win the FA cup. We would have been in a really tough position had we beaten Slavia Prague.

In addition, the extra cash is very important. I see a lot of people here dismiss the importance of cash in football. But if it was not important, the "Big 6" wouldn't have tried to break away to the Super League.

Give a shit....

The big 6 tried to break away because of the jeopardy of the league and the fact that cash isn't guaranteed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Detroit Blues said:

I also see these points as very valid. I think I’m just trying to cushion the blow when we ultimately get turned over tomorrow because we’ve got a few sore heads and Dan Amartey flipped their badge in the changing rooms lol 

They are going to be right up for this.

• Haha 1

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

Nonsense. Bottlers don't win the FA Cup.

Some players care about CL. Not all. We've done well without CL mercenaries.

CL easier than EL is what you're saying?

Cash will be the death of Barcelona - do we want that?

• Like 1

I hope the players don’t have the same attitude as some on here. 

seems to be a sense of well we’ve won the FA cup so doesn’t really matter about getting CL. Great season. 

we’ve won the FA cup so we should absolutely be getting CL football. we CAN do it because we’ve proven we can beat anyone. It should be used to spur us on for the last two games not just throw the towel in and call it a good season no matter what happens. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

seems to be a sense of well we’ve won the FA cup so doesn’t really matter about getting CL. Great season. 

we’ve won the FA cup so we should absolutely be getting CL football. we CAN do it because we’ve proven we can beat anyone. It should be used to spur us on for the last two games not just throw the towel in and call it a good season no matter what happens. 

It may take away some of the pressure though if the players are less caught up in the stresses and strains of potentially missing out on the top 4 at the last minute for the second year running.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

That's not what people are saying though.

People are saying that we've won the FA Cup, stop writing it off as if CL was the only thing that mattered. Enjoy the moment and go 100%  for CL too. If we don't get it, still a great season - second most successful in the club's history!

• Like 2

Suspect potential players may still see our CL trip as a bit of a one-off so not sure it affects our recruitment much. Will definitely have some impact but the level of impact is being blown out of proportion on here.

To add: you don't commit to a club for 3 or 4 years just for one CL season which may end at the group stage.

And I make all these points as somebody who thinks we WILL qualify for the CL this season.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

Everyone seems to think all players are cut from the same cloth, it's all about money, CL football.

For some it will be about being part of something, about a clubs ethos, its leadership.

I imagine a lot of players would have looked on envious at the spirit and togetherness of our celebrations yesterday.

I think we are an appealing options to a lot of players at the moment.

You want players here for the right reason, not the wrong one!

Edited by coolhandfox
typo
  • Like 4