Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

For one season. Might help with short term cash flow, might bring in more commercial revenue but Saturday was as big for us as that. We won't suddenly buy a player for 50m and spend 200k on wages.

Of course not. That's what I'm saying. It won't change who we buy necessarily but maybe the quantity of players and our attractiveness to said targets. That's what i said. We'll still be looking after the same type of players. Maybe i expressed myself poorly lol

Edited by NasPb
  • Like 1

Here’s another for you then folks.

Would players rather get into the quarters of the CL or win the EL?

Financially I think the former would even do us in better stead and then we’d be in the CL the following season. We would show another progression and have yet another trophy in the cabinet.

Edited by KFS

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Here’s another for you then gents.

Would players rather get into the quarters of the CL or win the EL?

Financially I think the former would even do us in better stead and then we’d be in the CL the following season. We would show another progression and have yet another trophy in the cabinet.

we've done the CL quarter finals thing! ;) 

They would want to be in UCL no doubt but to win the EL would be seen as a bigger success and adds to the ever growing trophy cabinet 

23 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Two things : I sense that the club really wants CL, and like one or two others, got a sneaky feeling we're going to do the business tomorrow. 

I have that sense too, but I also have the sense that if we draw, we won't get the win against Spurs. Tomorrow is the big one! I want the stress to end! lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Can we all agree to not to confuse business goals with honours earned on the pitch. Sporting success comes down to silverware. I understand the reasons but somehow it's getting obscured by money and what we could do if we had more of it. Sport ultimately comes down to trophies.

Can we all agree that qualifying for the CL WOULD be a sporting success, in and of its self?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Can we all agree that qualifying for the CL WOULD be a sporting success, in and of its self?

Yes, no doubt about that, but my quote was in response to a question about whether we'd prefer to win the Europa League vs 'Go far' in the Champions League. 

Huge huge game later. We had 2 cup finals and we’ve won 1. IF we somehow win at Stamford Bridge, it would complete arguably the greatest ever season.

Winning tonight would lock CL football on top of the FA Cup - A ‘double’. Youri will more likely put pen to paper and lock down our biggest asset. We would receive big financial rewards and really dramatically help maintain our upward trajectory.

We would attract more players easier and build a stronger squad.

We could also rest players vs Spurs, give our Morgan’s, Fuchs etc a run out, whilst our fans could enjoy the home game with a party atmosphere.

An FA Cup is a very good achievement and there won’t be a Foxes Fan who can say anything other than ‘what an achievement’ ‘we got over the line’ ‘silverware in the cabinet’.

However 36 games of long hard graft, fighting through all the set backs and maintaining our target, if we were to fall away at the last minute again, it’ll potentially stop all the above paragraph happening and could really set us back for years.

This Chelsea game is monumental. They will be out for revenge, home backing in the Bridge and Tuchel determined to stop the rot. Make no mistake if we went there tonight , on the back of winning an FA Cup and winning, it would truly be an absolutely extraordinary result, arguably the biggest win in our history and without doubt the biggest 7 days to win at Old Trafford. Wembley in a cup final and Stamford Bridge for a CL place.

Winning the FA Cup has made it a good season but to make it a great season I feel we can’t drop out the top 4 again. Huge huge game and without doubt the biggest win we have ever had, should we do it.

Edited by deanolegend1989
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

Can we all agree to not to confuse business goals with honours earned on the pitch. Sporting success comes down to silverware. I understand the reasons but somehow it's getting obscured by money and what we could do if we had more of it. Sport ultimately comes down to trophies.

Indeed it does and there is no reason we can’t win the ultimate trophy. We are Leicester. We’ve beaten the CL winners this season already. 

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Indeed it does and there is no reason we can’t win the ultimate trophy. We are Leicester. We’ve beaten the CL winners this season already. 

Of the UCL teams this year, I do look at some and think "yeah we could have them". I'm not mad for believing we'd beat Real Madrid am I? 

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Of the UCL teams this year, I do look at some and think "yeah we could have them". I'm not mad for believing we'd beat Real Madrid am I? 

I had this exact thought every time I've watched Real Madrid this season. 

I honestly think we'd take them. They play such a stupidly high line and cannot defend at all. 

WE WON THE CUP 

WE ARE IN EUROPE 

3rd or 4th would be amazing 

but 5th or 6th is continued achievement 

our squad isn’t a champions league one,

thankfully our manager and a handful of our first team players are champions league quality 

I think we can win the Europa League next year !  I won’t be upset to miss out on champions league 

• Like 2

I simply don’t believe anyone who says they’ve woken up more nervous today than cup final day. 

I’m excited, win and we’ve done it. 

If we draw then I will be nervous for the Spurs game, having it in our own hands on the last day and missing out again would be gutting. 

If we lose then I’ll get my disappointment out the way and just treat it as a bonus if Liverpool slip up. 

4 minutes ago, Duncan_K said:

I simply don’t believe anyone who says they’ve woken up more nervous today than cup final day. 

I’m excited, win and we’ve done it. 

If we draw then I will be nervous for the Spurs game, having it in our own hands on the last day and missing out again would be gutting. 

If we lose then I’ll get my disappointment out the way and just treat it as a bonus if Liverpool slip up. 

Then clearly you have no concept of the magnitude of tonight’s game. This isn’t just a defining moment, it could really be our future defining moment - it is THAT serious. 

In light of that I am significantly more nervous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I take both points just made... tonight IS huge but I personally feel more serene about this. Maybe it's the confidence borne of supporting a team that has just won something of enormous importance.

That’s where I’m at. If we slip out of the top four I feel it will be as a result of home defeats to Fulham and Villa, rather than an away defeat to Chelsea. But doubtless come 8pm I will be a jibberimg wreck as normal.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I take both points just made... tonight IS huge but I personally feel more serene about this. Maybe it's the confidence borne of supporting a team that has just won something of enormous importance.

Morning LoftySummit. Have to agree that winning the FA Cup was special, a little tempered for me due to circumstances. I might be viewing CL qualification as far too vital for our upward progression, but I don’t think I am. It isn’t just about the money, keeping our players, the signings etc, it’s about not creating a mindset in our squad that the last hurdle is always too high. We cannot afford to fail again. 

Mind you I am sleep deprived, so probably talking bollocks, (this is t the usual excuse, usually I just talk bollocks).

6 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Then clearly you have no concept of the magnitude of tonight’s game. This isn’t just a defining moment, it could really be our future defining moment - it is THAT serious. 

In light of that I am significantly more nervous. 

It simply can’t be the defining moment. Because lose and it’s not all over, it’s just less likely. The defining moment would come against Spurs, if Liverpool manage to win both their games. 

And you are wrong, 4th or 5th this year is not some defining moment in the history of the club, it’s a nice to have, a cherry on the top of the cake, winning the FA cup and completing the set was the defining moment. I’ve read the argument that Youri stays with champions league. Why? Kante didn’t. Mahrez didn’t want to. If Youri puts another masterclass on and has a good euros then someone might come in for him. Equally due to Covid and the availability of Haaland and Kane it might be that whatever happens no one has the cash to buy any of our players. This is real life not Football manager. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Morning LoftySummit. Have to agree that winning the FA Cup was special, a little tempered for me due to circumstances. I might be viewing CL qualification as far too vital for our upward progression, but I don’t think I am. It isn’t just about the money, keeping our players, the signings etc, it’s about not creating a mindset in our squad that the last hurdle is always too high. We cannot afford to fail again. 

Mind you I am sleep deprived, so probably talking bollocks, (this is t the usual excuse, usually I just talk bollocks).

Not sure why you called me that, but for what it's worth, I agree. I'm on record saying that I think that the entire club wants CL. I just happen not to be so hyped up (yet), and I can only assume that it's because we've just won the FA Cup :) 

• Like 1