Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

Will be gutted if we miss out but an FA Cup win and EL would be a fantastic season.

A cup win will convince everyone to sign new contracts and stay, we'll sign 3 or 4 fantastic players over the summer, shift 3 or 4 deadweights and get one or two youngsters back from loan or signed up. It will be harder to get top 4 next season IMO, but we'll definitely have a stronger team, and we've proved we can not only compete with the big boys but also beat them.

We're FA Cup winners man:appl:

The Top 4 finish has been completely distorted by the continual amplification of the 'FA Cup or Top 4" "debate".

It's been an enjoyable one, and largely entertaining, but it appears to have put us into 2 distinct opposing tribes (yeah FGTH, don't bother)

Amazing, we won the FA Cup, truly flabbergasting, but it doesn't mean people have to now pipe down about these last 2 games.

The supporters still in the race for a Top 4 finish should feel no guilt or shame, we care about it and I can't see the team taking any other approach. 

This is the reason why the FA Cup should never be played during the open season, it should be played the week after the premier league closes, simple as that.

We're still in the biggest footballing competition in the world, so please let us enjoy it. 

Feck me Allison Becker....that was a typical, deflating, comedy scenario. 

We're still in control of these 6 points available, we can do it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t know everyone seems to be just assuming we'll smash Spurs no problem.  They’re on pretty good form and their goal differential is almost even with ours.  They might have something to play for, too.

They've been pretty awful away from home to be fair.

Let me be perfectly clear.  
I want a win tomorrow night.
However, if we get a draw, with it all to play for vs Spurs, I will unleash the anger that's built up inside of me due to over an entire calendar year of no live football, and I will acutely channel that into 90 minutes of unadulterated passion, chanting and encouragement - whatever it takes to drag us over the line.

That's a Big Daddy guarantee.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Flappit said:

I think this misses the point that for us to step up and do more of what we've already been doing, we need that leg up that the CL provides. It's not just money, although that is a big part of it, it's the star player attraction and, just as importantly, retention. 

Like it or not, CL qualification helps us progress that bit further, add that extra quality, retain Tielemans and Ndidi and be even more visible as a viable alternative for top quality players. Without qualification, we drop back that little bit and next year finish 7th. More players leave, we don't get lucky with finding hidden gems and, oops, next season we finish 13th. We're on the slippery slope. Older players retire, the new crop aren't as good and we're in a relegation battle. 

Yes, it's all conjecture, but it's how the game works for gatecrashers like us. CL this year sees us taking a giant step forward in achieving amazing things without being one of "those" clubs. 

You not wrong on the standing still part, but I would have never traded FA cup win for top 4 if having the choice, its a trophy, a very special trophy and its the first time we have won it.

Also if we do make the CL, I do not want to draw a giant club, why would I want that? I want to watch LCFC not Real Madrid.

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

For me, it's ever so simple. The FA Cup is the best thing that could have happened on so many levels. I'd also quite like to see us play in the ECL again. The money is only relevant to me inasmuch as it might allow the better players persuaded to sign to become more affordable.

Nail on head. And you can add keeping our best players and Brendan Rodgers to that. This is why it's important we do finish top 4. It's important for establishing ourselves as a club that will challenge at the top of the league season on season. If we don't then the world won't stop turning but it's a massive boost for our profile and 'pull'.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1

:brendan_still:UPDATE 17th May

a bit of a pointless update since it's pretty simple from here, but obviously still quite a few permutations could play out. 

Routes to Top 4 qualification, largely assuming Liverpool get maximum points and finish on 69:

• Beat Chelsea
  • Gain 4 points 
  • Draw with or lose with Chelsea, then better their result on final day

There's also the chance that we end up on the same points as Liverpool and miss out on goal difference, or finish tied with Chelsea and miss out of goal difference with them! It's also not out of the question that we tie with Liverpool and have the same goal difference, in which case I think it comes down to head to head record. They beat us 3-0 and we beat them 3-1, so that goal by Salah at our place would qualify them over us...

Fixtures

Fixtures 17th.png

Points and Droppable

Update 17th.png

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

a bit of a pointless update since it's pretty simple from here, but obviously still quite a few permutations could play out. 

Routes to Top 4 qualification, largely assuming Liverpool get maximum points and finish on 69:

• Beat Chelsea
  • Gain 4 points 
  • Draw with Chelsea, then better their result on final day
  • Lose to Chelsea, beat Spurs, Chelsea lose to Villa

There's also the chance that we end up on the same points as Liverpool and miss out on goal difference, or finish tied with Chelsea and miss out of goal difference with them! It's also not out of the question that we tie with Liverpool and have the same goal difference, in which case I think it comes down to head to head record. They beat us 3-0 and we beat them 3-1, so that goal by Salah at our place would qualify them over us...

Fixtures

Hide contents

Fixtures 17th.png

Points and Droppable

Reveal hidden contents

Update 17th.png

Even if they beat us tomorrow, we “only” have to better their result on the final day (Edit: I’m wrong. A draw vs Spurs wouldn’t be enough as Chelsea have a better GD. But if Chelsea draw to Villa, a win vs Spurs will do it for us.) 

Hopefully we can sort it tomorrow. I see a lot of people seem to be taking Spurs lightly, but I’m not having it. Their front three can hurt our high line, and Harry Kane really worries me. He always scores against us, he’s going for the golden boot and it’s possibly his last game for Spurs. Not to mention that Spurs as a team will still have something to play for. So let’s just get the damn thing done tomorrow :) 

Edited by VinceNoir
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Our only very faint hope of qualification for CL is if Harry Kane is unavailable for that last match.

Yeah I don't think we'll ever beat a club like Chelsea. They are, quite simply, a better team than us. Not to mention the mighty Tottenham Hotspur. We might as well admit our inferiority now and concede both games 3-0 rather than turning up and most likely being humiliated by these footballing gods. These veritable titans of the beautiful game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t know everyone seems to be just assuming we'll smash Spurs no problem.  They’re on pretty good form and their goal differential is almost even with ours.  They might have something to play for, too.

I think fatigue could really kick in by then too and we just don't have the squad depth to rotate in what could be such an important game. I don't know why, but I just feel tomorrow is the big one for us. Ride that high from beating them in the FA Cup final, one last 90min push and get us over the line no matter what Liverpool do. If we lose or draw tomorrow, I think it will be a huge task to beat Spurs with the pressure/fatigue and lack of quality options on the bench. 

35 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

• Beat Chelsea
  • Gain 4 points 
  • Draw with or lose with Chelsea, then better their result on final day

Fixtures

Reveal hidden contents

Fixtures 17th.png

Points and Droppable

Reveal hidden contents

Update 17th.png

It's goals scored if the points and goal difference are the same. We've currently scored 2 more than Liverpool.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

At this stage I couldn’t give a flying hornets about champions league ! 

we won the cup 

we will be in Europe 

What a season ! 

Exactly how I feel. On Friday I was desperate for it. Now I’m really struggling to care. The feeling of the cup win was beyond anything I imagined and I just don’t feel the same passion towards qualifying for the champions league. It would be nice but I don’t think it’ll be a disappointing as last season if we fall short.

• Like 4