Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

I believe the Europa league is being cut to 32 teams next year similar to the current champions league format due to the new Conference League. So it shouldn’t be as brutal as this season, and could offer us a realistic chance for success. Now that we’ve completed the domestic set that’s got to be our next aim, a European trophy. 

That being said I would still absolutely love us to qualify for the champions league. We’re in a strong position with it still in our hands. Believe.

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Let's remember that the last time we qualified for the CL - Kante ****ed off to a club that hadn't qualified, we had to fight tooth and nail to keep Vardy and Mahrez, and all we managed to bring in was Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa and Slimani.

You need to be a perennial qualifier for the CL before players see you as a CL club. I'd love us to qualify again but we should be fully aware that a club our size can easily overextend itself financially for what is likely to be just one season in the CL. Europa League wouldn't be a disaster.

Finishing 5th 5 years in a row probably does more for a club than going from 4th to 9th or like we did 1st to 12th. We will see i suppose. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

CL is a big draw 

if you’re signing for a club expecting to be there for three seasons, knowing at least one is with CL helps a lot.

the other point is cash - having CL means being able to pay a few more quid in wages - that’s also helps !

Yeah but tbh we're never throwing 200k a week at anyone. It'll take a while to build that. We need to sustain it and carry on with the model we've got.

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Let's remember that the last time we qualified for the CL - Kante ****ed off to a club that hadn't qualified, we had to fight tooth and nail to keep Vardy and Mahrez, and all we managed to bring in was Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa and Slimani.

You need to be a perennial qualifier for the CL before players see you as a CL club. I'd love us to qualify again but we should be fully aware that a club our size can easily overextend itself financially for what is likely to be just one season in the CL. Europa League wouldn't be a disaster.

This. I'd love to qualify but it's not the be all and end all. Days like Saturday are worth far more to the club in the long term.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

I believe the Europa league is being cut to 32 teams next year similar to the current champions league format due to the new Conference League. So it shouldn’t be as brutal as this season, and could offer us a realistic chance for success. Now that we’ve completed the domestic set that’s got to be our next aim, a European trophy. 

That being said I would still absolutely love us to qualify for the champions league. We’re in a strong position with it still in our hands. Believe.

'The competition is scheduled to run from the 2021–22 season, and will serve as the bottom level of the existing UEFA Europa League competition, which is due to be reduced from 48 to 32 teams in the group stage.'

You're correct but don't think it reduces our amount of games as we go straight into the group stages 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0265-115e8ac3bcf1-d2646a690a85-1000--2021-22-europa-league/

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

'The competition is scheduled to run from the 2021–22 season, and will serve as the bottom level of the existing UEFA Europa League competition, which is due to be reduced from 48 to 32 teams in the group stage.'

You're correct but don't think it reduces our amount of games as we go straight into the group stages 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0265-115e8ac3bcf1-d2646a690a85-1000--2021-22-europa-league/

Presumably the difference will be after the group stage it’ll go straight to the last 16 rather than the last 32

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, KFS said:

I am telling myself that FA cup + EL has the same recruitment pulling power as top four.

Am I deluded?

Not quite, but as I alluded to in another post we are not operating in the same market as the "shameless six". We are looking for the best young talent around. For these young players we are now one of the most attractive destinations in Europe. Holding on to our most prized assets will be a bigger challenge. What happens with Youri will be a key indicator and hopefully will set a favourable precedent. Seeing him kiss his badge after 'the goal' filled me with joy and optimism.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t know everyone seems to be just assuming we'll smash Spurs no problem.  They’re on pretty good form and their goal differential is almost even with ours.  They might have something to play for, too.

Spurs almost certainly will have something to play for, I'm hoping they still have a chance of CL. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Presumably the difference will be after the group stage it’ll go straight to the last 16 rather than the last 32

Yeh possibly. I don't really get it tbh. Less games will be a huge bonus though... for Spurs and Chelsea :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Everyone seems to think all players are cut from the same cloth, it's all about money, CL football.

For some it will be about being part of something, about a clubs ethos, its leadership.

I imagine a lot of players would have looked on envious at the spirit and togetherness of our celebrations yesterday.

I think we are an appealing options at the moment to a lot of players at the moment.

You want players here for the right reason, not the wrong one!

I’d like to believe all of this, that players will want to stay with us, or come to us because of what we are building here, the team spirit and camaraderie.

• Like 1

For all the talk of the Champions League being a big draw in terms of recruitment our recruitment has probably been better than most of the sides qualifying for the CL for a while. Even with CL we are still swimming in a different pool as we aren't offering £250,000 a week contracts. Maybe it will help us attract the kinds of young players like Dortmund do who the bigger clubs aren't ready to take a chance on but I'm not sure we need to do that much differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

might as well liquidate the club then, eh? I mean if theres nowhere left to go and no progress left to make just jack it in. Be serious.

Perhaps if you'd just couched your original comment in terms of your own potential disappointment, no-one would comment.

But the way you've worded it really seems like you're putting a marker down for (or pre-emptively excusing) a future ultra-stroppy bedshit aimed at the team and manager for not getting into the CL. Which would make 'come one, we've just won the FA Cup mate' a reasonable response 

That said, I'm slightly confused by a general antipathy towards the CL. If 'winning the CL' is not the ultimate (realistic or not) goal, what is? If it is (and minus further education, it is for me), I'd really like as many goes at it as possible while I'm still breathing

Edited by turtmcfly

I was upset like everyone after the Newcastle game but after this weekend I honestly don't care if we get Champions league football this season, don't get me wrong it would see off a perfect season but its not what its about the pride i felt from winning the FA cup trumps whatever we do this season now. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Getting ahead of myself but imagine getting the job done tomorrow and being able to give Wes and Fuchs their last start in front of our fans on the last day....

For it to come down to goal difference, Liverpool would win 2 more games, and us only 1. Or we draw with Chelsea, lose against Spurs and Chelsea beat Villa. In both cases they'd almost certainly have better GD than us. 

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

If it comes down to GD we almost certainly finish 5th.

I can’t help thinking if it does come down to goal difference the game against Liverpool in November would have been the most crucial. If we’d turned up and lost 1-0 instead of 3 that would likely have been enough to keep our goal difference higher 

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Everyone seems to think all players are cut from the same cloth, it's all about money, CL football.

For some it will be about being part of something, about a clubs ethos, its leadership.

I imagine a lot of players would have looked on envious at the spirit and togetherness of our celebrations yesterday.

I think we are an appealing options at the moment to a lot of players at the moment.

You want players here for the right reason, not the wrong one!

I was one of those who preferred 4th + cup runners up to 5th + cup winners. Purely because I felt it would mean getting 2 extra starting quality players including Gosens, and more importantly convincing Youri to sign an extension. I believed that this was the crucial summer to establish ourselves firmly in the top 4/6 and thus have more cup finals very soon. 

But I feel less strongly about it now after watching Youri during those celebrations. He clearly loves us, and I think he would still sign the extension either way. And it now seems like regardless of EL/CL, we're getting Soumare + not getting Gosens. So maybe all it would mean is delaying the stadium expansion or buying one less player. 

4 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

I was upset like everyone after the Newcastle game but after this weekend I honestly don't care if we get Champions league football this season, don't get me wrong it would see off a perfect season but its not what its about the pride i felt from winning the FA cup trumps whatever we do this season now. 

I’m exactly the same. It would be amazing, but nothing will beat the buzz from Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

I can’t help thinking if it does come down to goal difference the game against Liverpool in November would have been the most crucial. If we’d turned up and lost 1-0 instead of 3 that would likely have been enough to keep our goal difference higher 

I think the 1 point vs southampton and newcastle were the most damaging.  

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I think the 1 point vs southampton and newcastle were the most damaging.  

True. Just pointing out where things may have been lost. We will lose games over the course of a season but if we don’t make top 4 on goal difference it’ll be the games we really didnt turn up and got hammered that’ll make the difference. Losing and drawing games is to be expected. Losing heavily shouldn’t happen (thankfully it doesn’t too often). Anyway we’ll do Chelsea tomorrow and all of this talk will be pointless anyway!

10 minutes ago, NasPb said:

The reason why ucl is so key is not bc of the type of player it brings rather bc of the fact that it gives you a lot more financial capability..... 

Key to what? Just having more income?

Have you not seen Saturday?

I just don't get this attitude I guess.:blink:

• Like 2