Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Dave

I need a new TV

Feck me £400+ for a tv!!!!

and all this sound bar bo11ox...what you got a bloody cinema at home!!!

I've got a Panasonic smart thing about 40" i think and it's more than adequate!!!!

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

Feck me £400+ for a tv!!!!

and all this sound bar bo11ox...what you got a bloody cinema at home!!!

I've got a Panasonic smart thing about 40" i think and it's more than adequate!!!!

good enough..is nearly always good enough.

On 20/03/2021 at 16:46, Legend_in_blue said:

Panasonic plasmas still look better than the majority of new TVs imo.  And mine is over 7 years old.  

You need to spend big money for something better.  

When my Panasonic plasma was knackered I bought a 50 inch Panasonic OLED ..  the improvement in quality was staggering ..  

• Like 1

Definitely go for Samsung. They last forever, have a really good responsive interface and the built-in speakers even on their lower end models is surprisingly good - I have 2 and don't bother with soundbars. My old Sharp TV had unusable speakers that distorted at even 25% volume so bought a £100 sound bar, when I upgraded to a Samsung 4K model I realised that the new TV's speakers were not only clearer than the sound bar but also did a better job at panning the stereo

I'd be wary about pumping similar money into a lower end brand TV for the sake of saving £50 or so - Samsung is definitely within your budget, and you'll almost certainly have zero problems with it. And if you don't get on with it (for whatever reason), you'd have a much easier job of just selling it 2nd hand

• Like 1

LG CX probably best TV on the market right now but slightly above ur budget. I'd say if you plan on playing next gen games within the next ten years that's the one to go to. 

Samsung q70/80/90 are all decent enough albeit not as good as the CX. But they do have annoying adverts that come up on ur TV homebar if u connect it to the Internet. Pissed me off enough to never buy Samsung and yes I could not connect it to the Internet but I prefer everything being on the TV.

On 20/03/2021 at 14:43, Big Dave said:

Our TV is just about to give up the ghost, so we are looking for a new TV with a separate sound bar.  We currently have a Sony and it has been great.

We are looking for a 55" TV, and can pay up to about £800.

Not too concerned about brand, but want one of the established brands such as Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG.

There are a huge number out there and not really sure where to start.  I would usually go into a couple of store for some advice, but obviously cant at the moment.

Not really sure about all the differences, such as OLED, QLED, etc etc, and not sure what I would need.

We are not TV aficionados.  We generally watch Netflix, Prime and Sky HD.

For the sound bar, would prefer the same brand as the TV, and happy to pay up to £300.  Ideally want a stand-alone sound bar (not with a separate sub-woofer).

Anyone who knows more than I do can give any brief advice?  What to go for, what to avoid (and why).

Cheers

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55bx6lb-2020-oled-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-dolby-atmos-sound-alpine-stand-black/p4977397?s_ppc=1dx43700062008747255&tmad=c&tmcampid=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7rB6IXH7wIVyJ7tCh0tHAjKEAAYAiAAEgKTmPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Will sort you out if you can stretch the extra £200. 

Like I mentioned before if you've got PS5 or Series X you'll be able to reach their full potential with this TV too. 

I bought a 2018 LG OLED from Costco two years ago. Got it for £900 at the time and its a great TV. 

As already mentioned Richer Sounds do 6 year warranties if you can find what you want at a decent price there. 

A mate of mine was in this very position a few weeks ago. Stuck in an endless loop of reviews and jargon for ages. He ended up going for a Samsung QLED. They're a very good option if you can't quite afford an OLED as they still have much improved black levels. Also, Samsung soundbars can connect to the Samsung TV wirelessly via Bluetooth which is handy. I know because my last TV was a Samsung and it had that option, and I still use the soundbar (via optical now though). Oh and you want to get a soundbar with a small subwoofer if possible for the best sound.

This TV:

https://www.richersounds.com/promotions/easter-tv-projectors/samsung-qe55q60t.html

And this soundbar:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Wireless-soundbar-channels-subwoofer-Black/dp/B08GY3Z2RH/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Samsung+Subwoofer&qid=1616695421&sr=8-1

Would work very nicely together. £850 all in. 

One thing that might be an issue is if you want a TV with Dolby Vision for Netflix's HDR. 

Edited by The Bear

On 20/03/2021 at 16:46, Legend_in_blue said:

Panasonic plasmas still look better than the majority of new TVs imo.  And mine is over 7 years old.  

You need to spend big money for something better.  

I thought the same...still got my Panasonic Plasma but now in the bedroom. Went for an LG and the picture quality is stunning! 

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I have had my Samsung tv for nearly 7 years and the last couple of weeks the picture has been jumping and jiddery. I have changed the hdmi cable, took all the wires out tried resetting it. 

Is it time for a new tv or could it be anything else like the aerial or sky box?

Does it do it on all inputs i.e different ports on the back?

Try plugging into a different HDMI port. 

14 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I have had my Samsung tv for nearly 7 years and the last couple of weeks the picture has been jumping and jiddery. I have changed the hdmi cable, took all the wires out tried resetting it. 

Is it time for a new tv or could it be anything else like the aerial or sky box?

Does it do it on all channels and/or inputs?

Check all input leads, even the mains plug.

Doesn't seem like possible interference from LED Christmas lights but to be sure, turn them off. Ask neighbours to switch theirs off too.

11 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

The LG C series probably the best tellies around im very tempted by the 20% but reality is difference between the c1 c2 and c3 is minimal so might hold off and hope one of the older models is in a deep sale in January.

LG OLED are fab…. I couldn’t really tell much difference between the various OLED models and got an older lower spec one for ~£500

The picture is insanely good

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

LG OLED are fab…. I couldn’t really tell much difference between the various OLED models and got an older lower spec one for ~£500

The picture is insanely good

Which one did you go for? The main thing with them models is I’ll be using it for gaming a lot and hope to future proof it with the 120hz refresh rate.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Which one did you go for? The main thing with them models is I’ll be using it for gaming a lot and hope to future proof it with the 120hz refresh rate.

It was a 

48'' OLED HDR 4k Ultra HD Smart TV (2021) OLED48A16LA

I’ve had it for around 18 months or so

I don’t do gaming, so refresh rate is not a critical 

it was £549 from Fenwick with £40 back on TopCashback 

Edited by Wolfox

Get the LGC3 (or C2 if you can find one).

I think you can still get the 48 in currys.  Check Richer Sounds too they should still have one.  They do klarna so I'd stretch your budget if you can.  You need to spend 900+ for a decent 120hz panel.

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Get the LGC3 (or C2 if you can find one).

I think you can still get the 48 in currys.  Check Richer Sounds too they should still have one.  They do klarna so I'd stretch your budget if you can.  You need to spend 900+ for a decent 120hz panel.

I’ve given myself 1k to spend and I want a 55 inch C series, just hoping in Jan a C2 might become available for 850 or so.

I’ve given myself 1k to spend and I want a 55 inch C series, just hoping in Jan a C2 might become available for 850 or so.

You should definitely be able to get a C2 55 with 1k in Jan.  It's a fantastic TV btw.  The gaming mode it can do is genius.  Just take your time putting it together as the stand is a bit of a faff (if not wall mounted) as the instructions aren't great.

Edited by Legend_in_blue